Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read everything available about the best muffler to replace that hulking beast hanging off the right side, but I'm not interested in sounding great or building a few HP's, I want that Nimitz class anchor gone. I know this bike will never sound or perform like an inline-4 liter bike so it's really pointless to spend $400 and up for a high quality titanium slip-on. Are there any sub $100 slip-ons that will not require me to get a Dyno with a complete ECU remap and that won't melt or explode in a ball of glowing-hot confetti? I've done the straight-pipe thing and that's too loud.

Also, does anyone know the pipe diameter? Additionally, I do not weld.

Essentially, I just want something that won't interfere with my swing-arm stand and has a half-life greater than one riding season.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
744 Posts
Are there any sub $100 slip-ons that will not require me to get a Dyno with a complete ECU remap
Those who runs after performance improvement will usually also be the one who rides hard at high rpm most of the time. In this case the re-programming of the ECU is important for two purposes: 1. Taking advantage of the change in exhaust for performance improvement. 2. Increasing engine life. Just remember: Engine life is a relativeiy, because whoever rides hard at high rpm his engine will not last long.
does anyone know the pipe diameter?
These are the dimensions I take from NEW MUFFLER GASKET 18392-KYJ-901
("where it slips on to the rest of the exhaust "):
I.D. 38mm
O.D. 44mm

Food Font Plastic Plastic wrap Snack

Essentially, I just want something that won't interfere with my swing-arm stand and has a half-life greater than one riding season.
I would try to order an pipe adapter and Muffler hose set from AliExpress, from 100USD you will get a money return.
I find it interesting. It is not clear the quality of the materials in terms of rust etc.
But the good price is for sure.

Reactions: Big Cahuna

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
I second jkv357's suggestion of a Delkevic. They seem to have the cheapest slip-ons. Cheap in price, but not quality. I've had one of their 14" carbon fiber slash-cut mufflers for several years now and I love it. It's not obnoxiously loud, is easy to install and it sounds even better and mellower with age. You can pick up a 14" stubby for only $200, or spend a little more for a longer muffler that would be even quieter. Here's their US website:
Delkevic

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I second jkv357's suggestion of a Delkevic. They seem to have the cheapest slip-ons. Cheap in price, but not quality. I've had one of their 14" carbon fiber slash-cut mufflers for several years now and I love it. It's not obnoxiously loud, is easy to install and it sounds even better and mellower with age. You can pick up a 14" stubby for only $200, or spend a little more for a longer muffler that would be even quieter. Here's their US website:
Delkevic
Yeah, It's hard to turn down a great brand at a good price. I think that's where I'm going to look first. The carbon fiber ones look clean.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just muffler swaps won't give you much, if anything at all.
Not necessarily.
As our model get oldy and the miles are collected, so does the catalytic converter get clogged. When the converter is clogged you have two options to open it:
1. To greet him out by welding work (LINK), Or...
2. You buy a new one.
At the new one, if it's not the original muffler (neither expensive nor cheap), you do not have a catalytic converter.
The difference between a clogged catalytic converter and a free gas passage is a difference in power, a noticeable difference, a difference that does not require any "dyno-tune and re-program " of the ECM, is just there, there is more power available to use.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm driving a 250cc bike, I'm not sincerely interested in power. I am more concerned about blowing out a cylinder or other engine damage. I rarely consider altering what the engineers (some of the smartest on the planet) have produced, it's just that my motorcycle stand won't work with that bohemith of a muffler. Waxing the chain is a choir, having to roll it down the road a few feet several times between spray's.

I'm a firm believer in keeping the bike stock as much as possible. If I wanted 100hp, I would have bought a 100hp bike. Adding power almost always results in a shorter lifespan. It's cheaper just to buy the right bike to begin with. You are right though, the proper procedure for replacing a muffler with an aftermarket one is to get the ECU programmed and the bike Dyno tuned. A bike will still run, just not up to it's optimal potential.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm a firm believer in keeping the bike stock as much as possible...
How "much as possible"?
You have 6 options: 1. Stick with what you have now (Sorry, I did not really understand what is your problem with it). And this is also the cheapest way 2. Buy a new OEM muffler that includes a catalytic converter, a really quiet exhaust. 3. Take a bad used OEM and remove the blocked catalytic converter. 4. Buy used OEM in good condition. 5. Buy a new generic aftermarket exhaust without a catalytic converter. 6. Buy a used generic aftermarket exhaust without a catalytic converter.

... Adding power almost always results in a shorter lifespan.
YES

... the proper procedure for replacing a muffler with an aftermarket one is to get the ECU programmed and the bike Dyno tuned. A bike will still run, just not up to it's optimal potential.
It is impossible to talk about "optimal" for a issue that is irrelevant for you.
It does not exist "right or wrong" fo your issue!
Your decision is related to what you want to achieve?
If you are not interested in power, and if you do not intend to ride hard, the whole issue of Dyno & Tuned is not relevant for you at all. Besides, there are dozens of other parameters that relevant to performance improving , therefore, there is no meaning to dealing only with the issue of muffler. It's meaningless for you, right or wrong? For you this is not a question that comes close to being relevant.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The muffler prohibits the use of a swing-arm lift stand.

Without it I must neglect some maintenance and certain services. This bike does not come equipped with spools.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Simple "plug & play" slip-ons like a Delkevic don't need reprogramming or tuning. That's the way they're advertised.
You don't buy them to gain power. You buy them to shed weight.
Big Cahuna just wants to get a smaller pipe for short money so he can use a stand. We're not talking about a full Akrapovic set up for $800-1200 or anything. :p
Hey BC, I just installed a set of no-drill T-Rex spools on my CBR and they work great. They're also the lowest priced ones you'll find.
T-Rex Racing Honda CB300F / CBR250R / CBR300R Spool Adapters (t-rex-racing.com)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Big Cahuna just wants to get a smaller pipe for short money...
NO
Essentially, I just want something that won't interfere with my swing-arm stand...
I probably did not understand, and Big Cahuna currently has the original muffler. OK
I think that in such a case the best solution is what you bought:
And order for the stand a pair of forks instead of the spoons

Reactions: Big Cahuna

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Simple "plug & play" slip-ons like a Delkevic don't need reprogramming or tuning. That's the way they're advertised.
You don't buy them to gain power. You buy them to shed weight.
Big Cahuna just wants to get a smaller pipe for short money so he can use a stand. We're not talking about a full Akrapovic set up for $800-1200 or anything. :p
Hey BC, I just installed a set of no-drill T-Rex spools on my CBR and they work great. They're also the lowest priced ones you'll find.
That was helpful. I went online and looked. I came across another type which screws into the back end of the swing-arm. I just bought it and it came well under the T-Rex system. Including tax and shipping it was $19.52. I'll post a review after they arrive and I have had a chance to use them.

White Font Line Material property Auto part

·
Registered
744 Posts
That was helpful. I went online and looked. I came across another type which screws into the back end of the swing-arm. I just bought it and it came well under the T-Rex system. Including tax and shipping it was $19.52. I'll post a review after they arrive and I have had a chance to use them.

View attachment 45356
The type which screws into the back end of the swing-arm
is NOT good.

It is not possible to adjust the chain slack with it, and it is not possible to lower the rear wheel with it, this is a very limited solution.
How to mount swingarm spools
T-Rex system is GOOD
Product Font Parallel Automotive tire Machine
Tire Wheel Vehicle Crankset Bicycle wheel

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
The type which screws into the back end of the swing-arm
is NOT good.

It is not possible to adjust the chain slack with it, and it is not possible to lower the rear wheel with it, this is a very limited solution.
There are plenty of older posts here on the forum from people who bought the wrong kind of swing arm spools, or were not satisfied with the performance of the spools they bought. I was leaning towards the much more expensive Yoshimura spools (even though they required drilling), but then I read a post from someone here who had a nightmare install and didn't like them at all once they were on. Same for these spools that screw into the end of the swing arm. People just didn't like them and complained about the limitations you mention.
I followed all these posts and took note. That's the great thing about this forum: Learning from other's mistakes.
By the time I settled on the T-Rex spools, members here had tried all the rest and their weaknesses were made evident. The T-Rex spools got generally good reviews and seemed by far to have the easiest install and maintenance. I already had a set of T-Rex stands and was already impressed with T-Rex's quality considering their lower price. No brainer and I'm quite happy with the purchase. They perform well.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You must dyno-tune and re-program ECU to get any improvement at all from exhaust. Then again, you need full-exhaust for gains. Just muffler swaps won't give you much, if anything at all.
True, you aren't going to gain much power without going with a full-system and tune.

I replaced the stock muffler on my SV because it was HUGE, heavy, and just too quiet for me. The Delkevic has a removable baffle that I have in, but modified it for a volume level between with and without it.

Didn't notice any power increase, or flat spots in throttle response, just better sound mostly.

It sounds faster!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
CBR500r muffler swap. No cat, less weight, all steel so no repacking or rusting to worry about, and still quiet.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
CBR500r muffler swap. No cat, less weight, all steel so no repacking or rusting to worry about, and still quiet.
Great idea IF you can find a used one. Most owners will tend to hang on to their stock pipe.
A new steel Delkevic is still cheaper than a new Honda one.
If you have the dough for an OEM Honda muffler, you may as well start looking at an Akrapovic or a top-end Yoshi too. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Great idea IF you can find a used one. Most owners will tend to hang on to their stock pipe.
A new steel Delkevic is still cheaper than a new Honda one.
If you have the dough for an OEM Honda muffler, you may as well start looking at an Akrapovic or a top-end Yoshi too. :LOL:
Fleabay has them for around $100-150 shipped, depending on condition. Keeping an eye out you can snag for less when you find a deal; got mine for $80. For a stainless, no cat, and quiet muffler, it's hard to beat. Just for reference, the CB500f, CB500r, and CBR500r all use the same catless muffler. Of course a 300r muffler will fit and those of the series, but they tend to be more expensive including the cat and all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts