Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I second jkv357's suggestion of a Delkevic. They seem to have the cheapest slip-ons. Cheap in price, but not quality. I've had one of their 14" carbon fiber slash-cut mufflers for several years now and I love it. It's not obnoxiously loud, is easy to install and it sounds even better and mellower with age. You can pick up a 14" stubby for only $200, or spend a little more for a longer muffler that would be even quieter. Here's their US website:
Delkevic

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Simple "plug & play" slip-ons like a Delkevic don't need reprogramming or tuning. That's the way they're advertised.
You don't buy them to gain power. You buy them to shed weight.
Big Cahuna just wants to get a smaller pipe for short money so he can use a stand. We're not talking about a full Akrapovic set up for $800-1200 or anything. :p
Hey BC, I just installed a set of no-drill T-Rex spools on my CBR and they work great. They're also the lowest priced ones you'll find.
T-Rex Racing Honda CB300F / CBR250R / CBR300R Spool Adapters (t-rex-racing.com)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The type which screws into the back end of the swing-arm
is NOT good.

It is not possible to adjust the chain slack with it, and it is not possible to lower the rear wheel with it, this is a very limited solution.
There are plenty of older posts here on the forum from people who bought the wrong kind of swing arm spools, or were not satisfied with the performance of the spools they bought. I was leaning towards the much more expensive Yoshimura spools (even though they required drilling), but then I read a post from someone here who had a nightmare install and didn't like them at all once they were on. Same for these spools that screw into the end of the swing arm. People just didn't like them and complained about the limitations you mention.
I followed all these posts and took note. That's the great thing about this forum: Learning from other's mistakes.
By the time I settled on the T-Rex spools, members here had tried all the rest and their weaknesses were made evident. The T-Rex spools got generally good reviews and seemed by far to have the easiest install and maintenance. I already had a set of T-Rex stands and was already impressed with T-Rex's quality considering their lower price. No brainer and I'm quite happy with the purchase. They perform well.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
CBR500r muffler swap. No cat, less weight, all steel so no repacking or rusting to worry about, and still quiet.
Great idea IF you can find a used one. Most owners will tend to hang on to their stock pipe.
A new steel Delkevic is still cheaper than a new Honda one.
If you have the dough for an OEM Honda muffler, you may as well start looking at an Akrapovic or a top-end Yoshi too. :LOL:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts