Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read everything available about the best muffler to replace that hulking beast hanging off the right side, but I'm not interested in sounding great or building a few HP's, I want that Nimitz class anchor gone. I know this bike will never sound or perform like an inline-4 liter bike so it's really pointless to spend $400 and up for a high quality titanium slip-on. Are there any sub $100 slip-ons that will not require me to get a Dyno with a complete ECU remap and that won't melt or explode in a ball of glowing-hot confetti? I've done the straight-pipe thing and that's too loud.

Also, does anyone know the pipe diameter? Additionally, I do not weld.

Essentially, I just want something that won't interfere with my swing-arm stand and has a half-life greater than one riding season.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I second jkv357's suggestion of a Delkevic. They seem to have the cheapest slip-ons. Cheap in price, but not quality. I've had one of their 14" carbon fiber slash-cut mufflers for several years now and I love it. It's not obnoxiously loud, is easy to install and it sounds even better and mellower with age. You can pick up a 14" stubby for only $200, or spend a little more for a longer muffler that would be even quieter. Here's their US website:
Delkevic
Yeah, It's hard to turn down a great brand at a good price. I think that's where I'm going to look first. The carbon fiber ones look clean.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm driving a 250cc bike, I'm not sincerely interested in power. I am more concerned about blowing out a cylinder or other engine damage. I rarely consider altering what the engineers (some of the smartest on the planet) have produced, it's just that my motorcycle stand won't work with that bohemith of a muffler. Waxing the chain is a choir, having to roll it down the road a few feet several times between spray's.

I'm a firm believer in keeping the bike stock as much as possible. If I wanted 100hp, I would have bought a 100hp bike. Adding power almost always results in a shorter lifespan. It's cheaper just to buy the right bike to begin with. You are right though, the proper procedure for replacing a muffler with an aftermarket one is to get the ECU programmed and the bike Dyno tuned. A bike will still run, just not up to it's optimal potential.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The muffler prohibits the use of a swing-arm lift stand.

Without it I must neglect some maintenance and certain services. This bike does not come equipped with spools.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Simple "plug & play" slip-ons like a Delkevic don't need reprogramming or tuning. That's the way they're advertised.
You don't buy them to gain power. You buy them to shed weight.
Big Cahuna just wants to get a smaller pipe for short money so he can use a stand. We're not talking about a full Akrapovic set up for $800-1200 or anything. :p
Hey BC, I just installed a set of no-drill T-Rex spools on my CBR and they work great. They're also the lowest priced ones you'll find.
T-Rex Racing Honda CB300F / CBR250R / CBR300R Spool Adapters (t-rex-racing.com)
That was helpful. I went online and looked. I came across another type which screws into the back end of the swing-arm. I just bought it and it came well under the T-Rex system. Including tax and shipping it was $19.52. I'll post a review after they arrive and I have had a chance to use them.

White Font Line Material property Auto part

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Well, ordered the cheap ali-express spool adapters and I think they'll work just fine. They're milled aluminum, simple in design, and I see no obvious weakness in the engineering. If I run into any issues I'll post an update.

Price including shipping on ebay was $19.52. Spool Adapter
I did add a nicer spool and those were under $3 on aliexpress.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Tire
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts