Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Cheapest gear that works

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  tegs 
#1 ·
So I've been searching Cl and some other places for some gear, I'm on a budget , as many of you will know you can't budget saftey very easily. If you really want to have the best protection your going to have to spend some money. But I ride 20 miles to work and 20 back at 75 mph every day here in 105 degree weather. I wear a nfx full helmet. And my Cat steal toe slip resistant work boots. The helmet is the only thing safe about my ride. That and I stick to the carpool lane . 90% of accidents happen withing the first 5 miles . The other day I had a wake up call, I saw a biker with no gear on get hurt pretty bad.. Where is the cheapest place to get some better gear or any gear , I found some stuff at Goodwill but it was for a large person . I'm going to buy a camel pack and wear as much as I need to .

#2 ·
Inexpensive gear generally better than no gear. The Bilt line from cyclegear is often the least expensive new stuff unless you catch a sale elsewhere. It isn't great, but a lot better than tshirt and blue jeans.

A few places have closeout sections, usually have good deals on xxl and small/xs, but sometimes a medium will show up.

Nothing wrong with used gear from fleabay. My two piece leathers came used from there, saved a ton.

Reactions: MotoMike
#3 ·
Cheap gear is better then none. I factored in a full set of textile gear into the purchase price of the bike. You will pick up more expensive items as you progress. But as Smokerider said, get yourself some cheap or closeout items now. I'd rather pay a few hundred for gear then a few thousand for avoidable medical expenses.

#4 ·
I've occasionally seen used leather jackets, pants, riding boots for sale on Craigslist. But one hurdle with finding used riding apparel is that it obviously has to fit you, so that factor will narrow your selection by quite a bit. And if it is a name brand piece like Alpinestars or Dainese, few sellers are going to be giving it away at a crazy low price.

Check out Cycle Gear... they have decent quality, lower priced riding apparel available in their Bilt house brand. But even a lower priced brand like Bilt is going to cost you some money. I don't think there is such a thing as decent quality "cheap" riding gear, at least nothing that's really worth buying in the first place. Better to pull together the money to buy good quality gear one piece at a time, rather than wasting the same amount of money on a bunch of low quality junk. Like many other things, buying cheap stuff ultimately costs more money in the long run when you find that you have to replace it because it didn't hold up to normal use.

#5 ·
I would shop closeout items from major online retailers. The trick is to watch the sale items like a hawk and jump on them ASAP to get your size...they sell out fast. Once they sell out at one place, they dry up quickly everywhere else because they all seem to buy their products from the same national wholesaler. Last year's model is perfectly fine; don't need to fall for this year's hype.

I would spend money as follows:

#1 good helmet
#2 tie between good gloves and good boots
#3 good armored jacket with CE rated elbows and shoulders
#4 good armored pants or overpants with CE rated knees
#5 CE rated back insert for the jacket

#7 ·
Craigslist is a pretty good bet, depending on where you are. Sport bike or track boots give you a lot of protection and they are cheap used.

My used fieldsheer 2 piece leather vented leather ($200) has been upgraded with new thick armor from Sastech and d30, for less than 270 total.

With used tcx track boots ($40) and SG3 gloves from scorpion Im better protected than most.

highly rated armor in hips, knees, shoulders and elbows, plus 1.2 mm leather.

Gloves were from eBay and new but discounted.

I did have to do some stitches as the pockets were too big for the new armor.

My aFX fullface was $50 and the only other new item.

Yeah when it's 90° I sweat. But only if I'm in slower traffic or as soon as I stop.

#8 ·
Scorpion makes awesome gear. I picked up my Hellion jacket brand new from a seller getting rid of demo jackets for $130. Worn it for 5 years. Helmet was from IV2 for $40 and has held up well. Gloves I recently picked up some Scorpion Klaw II's for $45 and they're very comfortable, with lots of TPU padding and full double stitched leather. Great protection for the wrist, palm, knuckles, and low-side areas. Also picked up some Detour armored textile pants from Jafrum for $60 that seem fairly well made, with lots of pads in the hips, knees, thighs, and upper back. I haven't picked up riding shoes yet, but I do wear Vietnam style moccasin boots I found for $20.

All in all, I've spent less than $300 on gear. Thrift shopping with some luck, you can come out much better. Just don't buy a used helmet. :) And if you don't mind sacrificing quietness, then just pick up a DOT approved helmet. Many can be had for $60 or less and will protect you just as well as a $400 Shoei.

#9 ·
I wouldn't touch used helmets or gloves. I got a nice Joe rocket leather jacket from a local pawn shop for cheap though.
Just replaced my wrecked helmet with a bell qualifier $110 new.
My girlfriends bilt jacket didn't hold together too well on the arms so kinda hard to recommend it.my tour master jacket held toghere pretty well for it being used daily for 3 years and was only $150.

Like others have said scorpion makes some stuff for pretty cheap along with icon.

#12 ·
I've noticed that a lot of money can be saved by going with older models of gear online. Good helmets in particular can be found at high discounts if they're a generation behind.

A good example of that was my winter gloves. A* Apex gloves were $20 Cdn less than the newer Valparaiso despite being better insulated, goat instead of cowhide, and having better hand and knuckle protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.