Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually most maintenance on the CBR250R is fairly easy - oil, light check etc. But the coolant level slot seems a little obscure, especially when you are alone and trying to hold the bike upright unpropped. I had to unscrew the cover to be able to see it properly. Any tips from CBR250 owners? As this is my first bike with a radiator I'm a little unsure - should I be checking it every day? Or is that heat gauge reliable enough to go by?

·
Registered
999 Posts
The heat gauge is just that. It gives a general idea of the coolant temperature, not the coolant level.

I check the little coolant tank level every time I check the oil which is usually daily right after the last ride of the day while everything is at operating temperature. It only takes a couple seconds to check. (After letting the engine sit for 2-3 minutes first)

I use two methods. One is to get on my knees and hold the bike upright so I'm low enough to see the oil window and through the coolant slot.

Second method involves a good sized vanity mirror that's leaning against the wall of my garage. With that I can see the oil level without having to bend down. With a good flashlight I can also see the coolant level through the slot while standing.

I do these checks after each ride because it's a good habit but it's been so far for naught. After almost 3K miles, my bike still hasn't needed any oil or coolant added. Checking daily is still a good habit to keep though.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Actually most maintenance on the CBR250R is fairly easy - oil, light check etc. But the coolant level slot seems a little obscure, especially when you are alone and trying to hold the bike upright unpropped. I had to unscrew the cover to be able to see it properly. Any tips from CBR250 owners? As this is my first bike with a radiator I'm a little unsure - should I be checking it every day? Or is that heat gauge reliable enough to go by?
Cryogenic physics - page 58.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That is what I do to. I unscrew the cover to check the coolant reservoir.

I get down on my knees and hold the metal bar of the passenger pegs and the other hand on the handlbar and lean it towards me gently it seems level.

I can't get an accurate reading with the cover on. Unscrewng and screwing doens't take that long.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cryogenic physics - page 58.
Lost me, mate.

Metalstorm - the mirror seems convenient. (at home, on tour it cld be hassle :) )

Cire 5th - that's what I do now, but I can just seem myself fumbling one time and the d..n thing coming down on me. urgh

·
Registered
426 Posts
lol - that mirror idea sounds great. Sure beats trying to balance the bike whilst kneeling. Going to try that with a hand-held mirror and probably be able to direct a flashlight beam into the mirror as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts