Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to riding and I got myself a used honda cbr 250rr replica. It was going just fine until yesterday. I went to the gas station and when I got into 3rd gear I heard some choking sound from the exhaust. So I got on the highway to check will it happen at higher speed and it did, more than once, it makes me shift to the next gear when I don't use the whole potential of the current one. And I don't know if it has some speed limiter or something but it can't go faster than 95km/h. But now when this started to happen it can't go over 80km/h without the popping sound. What could it be?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Check your air filter and intake snorkel for a blockage.

If that's good, check the battery voltage before starting to make sure it's over 12.7V.

If that's good, completely drain the fuel from the tank and refill with fresh and a fuel system cleaner.

Those are the simplest first steps.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
746 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new to riding and I got myself a used honda cbr 250rr replica. It was going just fine until yesterday. I went to the gas station and when I got into 3rd gear I heard some choking sound from the exhaust. So I got on the highway to check will it happen at higher speed and it did, more than once, it makes me shift to the next gear when I don't use the whole potential of the current one. And I don't know if it has some speed limiter or something but it can't go faster than 95km/h. But now when this started to happen it can't go over 80km/h without the popping sound. What could it be?
Hey. I suggest that you check according to the RPM and not according to the speed(MPH), separate the two. In third gear, at what RPM the problem appears? Then try to see if this happens in other gears at the same RPM as well?
  • If this happens in other gears then this is not a problem in third gear.
  • If this only happens in third gear then the problem is at the gear.
This is the first test I would do.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
746 Posts
take a look at this video which I have found at YT, hope it will help you
Rodger I'm not sure I understood the video. But if the guy in the video tightened the screw beyond the force of the inner tensioner spring? This is not good and may lead to increased wear on the chain, gears, and slider.
It is customary to replace the tensioner once in 20 - 25 thousand kilometers, I was not convinced that it is really necessary, but that's how everyone does it and so am I.

Reactions: RodgerMillan
1 - 7 of 7 Posts