Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know this is a CBR forum, therefore the answers may not be quite objective, nevertheless I need some input.

Here's the thing: I'm a very steady guy, opera fan, wearing suits most of the time. Riding a bike for me is a way to expand my comfort zone and diversifying my social life.

So now I'm just getting my motorcycle driving license and I want to get a bike.

I have to choices: Honda CBF600S and Honda CBR250R.

I will use this bike only in urban areas and very occasional roadtrips - rarely, if ever, exceeding 300km. CBR seems to be a perfect choice, due to it's high effectiveness and 'usability' in city conditions. But I'm also thinking about the my peers - most of my friends who got me into bikes are riding bikes from 600ccm to 1300ccm. And I get their point when they say it may be 'too small' in terms of power. CBF is bigger, but on the other hand - worse to fit between the cars in city traffic.

Now here's the question: what are the pros for CBR so I will be sure it's the best choice?

Thanks!
LC

·
Registered
161 Posts
If this is your first bike and you have never ridden before, I say the CBR250R for sure. It certainly isn't the fastest bike out there, but as a new rider that's a good thing.

Read this article from Hell For Leather I posted.
Clicky

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here's the problem.
If you buy a bike that's beyond your limits, and I'm not talking about getting into trouble with all the horsepower, I'm talking about weight, center of gravity, skill level necessary to make fast maneuvers - your only option is to ride it conservatively. If you ride conservatively all the time, you'll never develop your riding skills. The progression from an easy bike to a harder but more able bike needs to happen even it seems economically inefficient. Yes, you may grow out of your CBR but if you start with a larger bike you may never grow into it.
Another factor is that you sound like an occasional or weekend rider. This makes the CBR an even more sensible choice as your rides may be too infrequent to develop and maintain a skill level that makes for safe riding on a larger bike.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What Pete said. Couldn't have said it any better.

I think most of us have had friends say that a 250 is too small, won't be any fun, you'll outgrow it too soon, etc, etc. Notably, everyone who has said this hasn't ridden a CBR250R. Its moniker betrays how much fun it can be. Every professional review I've read has said that even experienced riders can have a blast on this machine, as long as your not expecting a speed thrill. And if you do outgrow it, it's not a big deal: just sell it and get a bigger bike when you're ready.

Also, not to derail the thread or anything, but is the CBF600 only available in certain markets? Is it still in production? I'm not seeing it at all on Honda's website and I can't seem to find any good reviews of recent models.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank a lot guys!!

It looks like the plan to really "outgrow" the bike is the best approach since it means one will exceed its potential and learn everything there is to learn.

@eil - yes, CBF600 is still in production and new models have excellent reviews on every bike site I've seen. At least here, in Poland.

LC

·
Registered
427 Posts
First bike?

Save your money, buy something used 400cc or under. Your going to drop it, and chances are, you aren't gonna maintain it properly (no offense meant, just likely), better to do that on a used bike than a new bike.

·
Registered
329 Posts
No bungie no! Buy a new cbr and enjoy honda warranty, just follow the user's book to maintain it properly.
Buy a chain lube and ride, ride, ride, ride. Forget about everything else...
Correction: ride safely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@bungie4

You noted in your footer that you have FJR1300 and CBR250. How would you compare these two? My uncle rides FJR like yours and he told me it definitely isn't a bike for the city use - way better for long roadtrips as he uses it.

How do you use this two? Doesn't CBR feel just way to small after riding FJR?

LC

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Lets compare a Goldwing to a Z50 Monkeybike.. yeah thats an even comparison lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lets compare a Goldwing to a Z50 Monkeybike.. yeah thats an even comparison lol.
Aufitt - ok, i'll put it this way - the thing I have in mind is an answer whether bungie has this feeling that after riding a FJR with 150bhp bike riding CBR with its 30bhp doesn't feel like switching from motorbike to actual bike.

Better now? :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Aufitt - ok, i'll put it this way - the thing I have in mind is an answer whether bungie has this feeling that after riding a FJR with 150bhp bike riding CBR with its 30bhp doesn't feel like switching from motorbike to actual bike.

He has posted on multiple occasions how he feels about both bikes. He mentions that each bike is a tool designed for a purpose (CBR = city, FJR = touring) and that he likes riding them both. I'm sure he'll post again on this thread to answer your specific question.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Ludwikc - I'm not sure what you are asking (e.g., "riding a FJR with 150bhp bike riding CBR with its 30bhp doesn't feel like switching from motorbike to actual bike") as even this last posting isn't very clear.

I'm not sure why you want an opinion from someone about something that involves such subjective and personal impressions - between two completely different bikes. If you read through many postings on this forum, you will see that there are so many individual and personal preferences expressed on a variety of issues related to the CBR250R. What you need to do is to decide what your needs and desires are - and then go with that! :) Make a decision for yourself.

And it sounds like, for the most part, you've already done that. Based on your needs (mostly city riding), it appears that the CBR250R IS the perfect choice for you. That is what you've determined! Do you really think the CBR250R is "Too small in terms of power" for riding in the city, as your friends say? Don't let your friends make this decision for you. Their suggestion is silly, misinformed, and naive.

If you still have doubts - obtain a motorcycle licence, take a motorcycle training/safety course and then ask your friend who has access to 600cc to 1300cc motorcycles to try out a few and use that to help you make a decision. Maybe a dealer might even let you try out a CBR250R so YOU can make the decision based on a comparison between several different bikes.

Mike

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
First bike?

Save your money, buy something used 400cc or under. Your going to drop it, and chances are, you aren't gonna maintain it properly (no offense meant, just likely), better to do that on a used bike than a new bike.
I totally agree.

Buying a new bike as your first isn't a great idea. Financing a motorcycle isn't a great idea. Buying a midsize motorcycle as your first isn't a great idea.

Don't buy a new motorcycle because you want a warranty, and NEVER buy an extended warranty! What a total rip!

Owning a motorcycle isn't the same as owning a car. You need to be able to do regular maintenance on it yourself - all the time. Chains need regular adjustment and tires need checking constantly to be safe.

As a new rider you are best to get some professional training before heading out. Also make sure you have the money to get top-notch gear - helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and pants.

Jay

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Llory is correct.. not speaking for Bungie but he owns both bikes for different reasons.. because he want to and because he can... he'd probably have a few more bikes in his stable or maybe has already.

All bikes, boats, & cars are a compromise in some way in what they are best at.
All owners are looking for different things in their chosen transport.
I dont own a big bore anymore because Ive been there done that, and really need something to slow me down on the road and also to do Trackdays on a tight local track where it does not matter what size the bike is... throwing this cbr down the road wont break the bank.

You buy what fits You, nobody else knows but you.

The cbr cannot pull the skin off a rice pudding with its 23hp but its fun to ride and can still do the ton.. handles half decently too.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Oops Mike just beat me there and said similar things.. only you can decide.

·
Registered
427 Posts
LOL!

We were talking about this in another thread. If I ride the CBR exclusively around town and save the FJR for long trips (Which I've done since I got the CBR in August). It feels like a Carnival Cruise ship. The opposite thing the other way. Riding the FJR for a long trip then getting the on the WeeBR feels like I'm getting on a kids two wheeler.

The feeling dissipates pretty quickly though. I just have to take some extra care for the first few miles. No zipping up to hwy speed +10 with a simple twist of the wrist for the CBR, and no changing lines just by thinking about it on the FJR.

The difference between the two bikes is unbelievably dramatic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts