Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an Alpinestars leather riding jacket, covered in bugs. Wondering how to clean it without ruining it. I assume waters probably not the best for it? :confused: I don't need to wash the whole jacket, just get the bugs off the outside.
Thanks... :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
No you don't need to wash it. There are a number of leather cleaners on the market. Put it on a cloth and rub. Takes the bugs right off.

·
Registered
278 Posts
yep.. a diet of leather cleaner and conditioner and it will last for many years. Sometimes I get lazy and don't clean the bugs completely off: scrape as much of them off as I can, then shoe polish/dye over whatever's left, viola ! new looking jacket !

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you keep to a regular conditioning routine, then cleaning the bugs of with a slightly damp towel or rag isn't going to hurt anything. Just don't soak the leather if you can help it. I do this at most stops when I visit the loo. It's a lot easier to remove the bug splatter when it hasn't been baked on by an all-day ride. The same goes for my helmet and front faring/headlight/windscreen. A few minutes attention makes the end-of-ride cleanup that much easier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just use regular old Kiwi brand Saddle soap. Go by the directions and you can't go wrong. Usually Wal-Mart sells it for a decent price.

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
I just use a water dampened cloth to clean the bug splatter off my leathers. A couple times a year I'll use a good leather conditioner, like ArmorAll's Leather Care on the jacket... as for leather pants, many leather conditioners will make the leather very slippery, so using it on the pants seat and inner thigh areas is not a good idea.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I just use regular old Kiwi brand Saddle soap. Go by the directions and you can't go wrong. Usually Wal-Mart sells it for a decent price.
+1
Kiwi Saddle Soap is the safest stuff to use on any leather. It's very low Ph, contains an extremely mild conditioner, is simple to use and available just about everywhere. You can't really harm anything leather using it, which is not true of some of the leather "conditioning" products out there. The stuff's been around forever because it works and works well.
I like the fact that you can also use it on boots, seats, etc.
If you use it on a regular basis it really helps keep the leather supple and you shouldn't need any other products.
Stay away from stuff like Mink Oil and anything that has waterproofing qualities. They usually leave a residue that's a bitch to get off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts