Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use Blue Coral car wash to wash, and Nu Finish to wax. Both available at Wally-World.

A trick that i've found that works great is to use a leaf blower to dry the bike after washing. :D

+1 on the no Armor All on the seat!

Also, I haven't found anything to use on the matte black plastic pieces; Would like to hear what others are using on that.

--l8r

·
Registered
119 Posts
i'd also like to hear some good advice for cleaning of the bike. this being my first bike, i already clued in not to using tire foam and armor all like on my car, but besides that, i'd like some info on what to use!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Also, I haven't found anything to use on the matte black plastic pieces; Would like to hear what others are using on that.

--l8r
That stuff is really hard to keep fresh looking. I know this sounds crude, but after an oil change, I use the oily rag to on that stuff. It gets rid of the dusty look and makes it black again.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Obviously Armor All is not good on a bike but I'd suggest not using it on your car either. It's really one of the worst of the products you can use for interior cleaning and protection.

I use nothing but Meguiar's products on my car. Their Ultimate Liquid Wax is awesome. I use that along with Show Car Glaze and an occasional clay bar to keep the finish smooth and clean. This is only good for the gloss parts of the bike but I think the matte areas can probably be cleaned with a clean, damp microfiber towel.

I also highly recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer for daily upkeep.

This is my baby... :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
+1 on the "no armor all". Unlike Nike...."just DON'T do it" !
Sounds like we are of the same ilk here. I have always kept my bikes well maintained, and have kept most for years. But cleaning.... never have been bothered. To me motorcycles are to be used, not to be looked at.

At the same time, I can understand people wanting to keep their pride and joy looking pristine. I don't knock it.

I do keep a piece of rag handy to clean the mirrors and lights. Also useful for drying the seat after rain.

If the bike cops sea spray I give it a hose down, for sure. Likewise after muddy conditions.... but a bit of a maybe on that one though.

I never have hesitated going somewhere because it might spoil the appearance of a bike. To do so might mean missing out on an adventure. I guess my attitude reflects my formative years on farm bikes.

Enjoy your motorcycle, whatever you do. That's what it is all about.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wash mine with dishwashing liquid in warm water to get marks etc off. then I rinse it with cold water and wipe dry. I clean the chain with kerosene in a spray bottle then hose it off before washing the rest of the bike. Cheap and effective

·
Registered
681 Posts
I wash mine with dishwashing liquid in warm water to get marks etc off. then I rinse it with cold water and wipe dry.
That's not a good idea for painted finishes. Dish washing liquid will strip the wax right off your finish, leaving your paint completely unprotected in the sun. You're better off just using plain water if you want to keep it inexpensive and simple.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm with wOrM on this, Meguiar's is all I use on the bike and Car, 'Gold wash', then blow dry with the air compressor and i finish with a quick spray of 'Final Inspection' gives the paint a deep shine that lasts for days. As for keeping the black bits black, silicon spray is the best I have found, just don't use it on the tyres or seat as the bike wont stop and you will slide off the seat on the first bend :eek:

·
Registered
129 Posts
one thing that i know of, dont spray your bike with high pressure water spray. it could damage the rubber seal and the electricity if not careful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What do you recommend for cleaning the bike, waxing, and keeping he seat nice and conditioned?
Your best bet is going to be starting with an old-fashioned bucket, soap, and a hand wash mit. I washed mine just yesterday. Suds her up nice and good, let a freeflowing hose do the rinsing (as to not use pressurised nozzles which can easily push the dirt into the paint causing scratches). The point about the leafblower is the best thing I've heard on here so far. Bikes are a pain to get completely dry with all those knooks and crannys, leaf blower works perfectly. Once shes nice and dry I'd suggest applying at least one coat of wax, (I like a paste wax, particularily a pure caranuba wax like mothers, etc.) apply it thin and evenly over the surface of all of your plastics, winshiels, lights, even your helmet and shield (this will help the water bead off in the event you get caught in the rain). Let it dry until you can take the wax off with a swipe of the finger, then use a microfibre cloth and apply pressure in a circular or linear motion to get that wax buffed into the surface. Once your done it should look **** good. You should do this every couple washes, but for a more quick solution after a wash try a Quick Detailer, I like Wizards Mist and Shine - It is simply the best on the market. For your plastics, Armor all is garbage, it dries out your vynyl, so I would use a product called Mothers Back to Black, it lasts ten times longer and puts a much better shine - just dont put it anywhere you don't want to slide off :)

·
745 Posts
Make sure you wash it when it's cold or cool - although the liquid-cooled engines aren't as subject to uneven cooling stress as air-cooled, still not a good idea.

Ditto on the Armor-all, but I do use and like a product called 303 Protectant - it will make your plastic / rubber parts look nice and has a UV shield. I don't use it on the painted surfaces, but the matte surfaces and seat gets a coat. Note: Not the tires. If you put anything on your tires, stay away from the part that contacts the road. Most tire-black products will reduce adhesion significantly. Wax on the paint, decent car shampoo for the suds.

·
745 Posts
Hey basil - only problem with the dish detergent is that it's a strong surfactant - it will tend to break up the chain and pivot-point lube it contacts. The car- or bike-wash products aren't as strong and don't cause as many problems.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You guys want to consider Optimum No Rinse Wash for doing basic washes. It's great because you don't need a hose and you can control exactly what gets wet. All you need is a bucket of water and about 3 or 4 cap fulls of the wash solution. Then you just use a damp sponge to wipe the parts you want to clean... immediately followed by a wipe with a drying towel.

Since you don't need a hose, it's perfect for folks who live in apartments or in places where water is at a premium. I use it on my car for the rare occasions when it actually needs a wash. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I rarely wash. I instead use a pair of microfiber towels and a quick detail spray.

The only time you really need a wash is when you have a lot of dirt build up from rain or a ride through some dirty water than was allowed to dry on the vehicle. Using quick detail sprays is much better for your painted finishes than getting them wet over and over. Water will eventually wear off your wax and therefore the protection for your paint. Don't get it wet if you don't have to!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts