Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the look of the bike stock but don't want to scratch the paint, so my GF got me a clear adhesive tank pad (made by Orbital) today to put on the bike. When I put it on there, it has that fizzy bubble look to it. It there a tried and true technique to get rid of this problem?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm not sure if it'll work, due to not knowing how it sticks to the tank, but you might try doing like window tint. You mix a few drops of dish soap with water in a spray bottle and spray the whole area down and put on your pad and squeege out the air pockets with a credit card or drivers license.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I like the look of the bike stock but don't want to scratch the paint, so my GF got me a clear adhesive tank pad (made by Orbital) today to put on the bike. When I put it on there, it has that fizzy bubble look to it. It there a tried and true technique to get rid of this problem?
Sounds like the deed is done. About all you can do now is... start over with another tank pad set. I put the Honda set on my scoot, no problem's, and it look pretty good. About $26.00 from cyclepartsnation.com + shipping.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if it'll work, due to not knowing how it sticks to the tank, but you might try doing like window tint...
It's straight up an adhesive.

Sounds like the deed is done. About all you can do now is... start over with another tank pad set...
If that's the case, I'm going to try Orbital's universal carbon/black pad.

Don't worry they will eventually dry out.
I hope so. The package said it takes 48 hours to set.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've heard the soap/water trick works even though it's an adhesive, but I've never tested it myself.

One other alternative if you are willing to pull off and toss out the clear pad would be to go with tankslapper film, which is pretty much the same stuff as a clearbra on a car. I put it on my tank with zero bubbles (you get some but they are very easy to remove by working the film for 10-20 mins).

If you want to see pics search 'tankslapper' on the forum -- I'd take some for you, but I put on a TechSpec pad & grips as well since I like the look (and wanted maximum protection).

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used soap and water on my 3m film with a squiggy, work a treat.

·
745 Posts
bubbles or ripples?
If a bubble, credit-card it to the nearest edge. If that doesn't work, take a stright pin and make a very small hole at the center, then squeegee it out.

Always work decals on from edge to edge. If the adhesive protector is split, only remove half and work from the inside out.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To clarify, this is an adhesive gel tank pad, not the film, so I can't use soap water or get rid of bubbles with a needle. Pressure seems to even the adhesive out though, and I've heard you can roll bubbles out with a tennis ball. Since I have the black CBR, if all else fails, I'll remove it and buy this one...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just leave it alone. In a week it will look perfect.
I hope so. As of yesterday I'm the apathetic owner of 3 brand new bright green tennis balls. As for how they did on rolling out fizz-bubbles; that was a load of poopy. Oh well, maybe the cat will enjoy them.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fizzy bubbles are going away more with time. There's one in the middle of the pad that won't go away, but, hopefully patience will pay off on that one too. Other than that, the clear pad looks really clean. No cheesy prints or textures. Carbon/black pads don't look too bad though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i bought a clear tank pad and it had loads of minor bubbles i couldn't get rid of, so i used a warm hair dryer to make the pad more malleable, and the glue spread more evenly, worked a treat :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I put the Tankslapper on, can I put the StompGrip over it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts