Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can tell, this has been an issue with the bike since I got it 10+ years ago. But, I've noticed over the course of a few months whenever I adjust the time for daylight savings and what have you, my clock is generally about 20-30 minutes fast. It generally takes a little while for this discrepancy to occur, so I suppose it's a minor miscalculation in the programming.

Simply out of curiosity, does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
981 Posts
As far as I can tell, this has been an issue with the bike since I got it 10+ years ago. But, I've noticed over the course of a few months whenever I adjust the time for daylight savings and what have you, my clock is generally about 20-30 minutes fast. It generally takes a little while for this discrepancy to occur, so I suppose it's a minor miscalculation in the programming.

30 minutes for six months? is a deviation of about 10 seconds per day.
We do not have a seconds display on the watch, so a deviation of about 10 seconds per day will not be noticeable in a short period of time. But those who wait a week or two will be able to verify your claim.
I personally don't bother to set the clock, because I don't use it (the clock is small, and Its lighting is not very effective...). Now my motorcycle is in winter rest and the battery is resting on the shelf.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I actually use the dashboard clock pretty often, usually while I ride to make sure Ill arrive on time and if I need to accelerate or can take it easy haha.

Its funny actually because I ride with a smartwatch and use it to change music and check GPS etc but its easier to look at the dashboard while riding to check time.

My clock has gotten about a 3 minute discrepancy in the last year since last time I set it, which I never bothered correcting (though ig I feel like correcting now). I assume maybe some loose connection or temporary low power to the clock made it ''freeze'' for those accumulative 30 minutes. Perphaps every time you start the ignition the power surge freezes the clock a few seconds and so with time it gets to that big window? No idea, but yeah I can attest mine has been fine.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I actually use the dashboard clock pretty often, usually while I ride to make sure Ill arrive on time and if I need to accelerate or can take it easy haha.

its easier to look at the dashboard while riding to check time.
Excuse me, please, and if possible...
When riding a motorcycle, it is really not recommended to pay attention for any reason other than the task of riding. Your eyes should always be on the road. Never speed up because you are late on time, it is better to delay and apologize, and next time go to destination earlier, than die in an accident.

My clock has gotten about a 3 minute discrepancy in the last year since last time I set it,
(y)(y)(y)

I assume maybe some loose connection or temporary low power to the clock made it ''freeze'' for those accumulative 30 minutes.
An interesting suggestion, what you explain, like this it works in watches that are based on an electric motor and a mechanical transmission. In quartz watches, if the voltage drops, the memory is erased and this resets the clock, and of course the same thing happens when there is a momentary disconnection in the voltage supply (clock reset). A 30 minute gap in a quartz clock? To create such a gap in a quartz watch, perhaps 30 consecutive years have to pass. Sometimes we here, me too, get confused with English, or get confused with switching between units of measurement...? I don't know what happened to our friend's clock?
But maybe I'm wrong

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the clock was slow, power interruptions may be a possibility. But in a vehicle clock, the clock would reset if power was pulled long enough to disturb it. Also, my clock runs fast. I do occasionally use a float charger, but given the charging voltage of the rectifier is higher than the float charge, I don't imagine that voltage doesn't play any bearing on the clock.

Maybe it's just a crap clock. shrug

Reactions: Tamir

·
Registered
981 Posts
Maybe it's just a crap clock. shrug
This is very uncharacteristic. I don't hearing of a similar malfunction in quartz watches. I reckon something is screwed up in the electronics. And if it left damaged from the factory in 2011, go to the dealership and maybe they will replace it for you? It is not related to the warranty period, because it is according to what you describe a defect that came from the factory. Not worth arguing about, but maybe they'll agree to take responsibility. Asking them costs nothing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Excuse me, please, and if possible...
When riding a motorcycle, it is really not recommended to pay attention for any reason other than the task of riding. Your eyes should always be on the road. Never speed up because you are late on time, it is better to delay and apologize, and next time go to destination earlier, than die in an accident.
Tell that to the UberEats riders always looking at their phones hahah

But don't worry, I only glance at the time when I feel it's safe, quick glance like when you look at the rpm gauge or at your mirrors. And I only use the smartwatch when i'm stopped at a light or in traffic. I have it set up so I either only have to look to get GPS info, or click and rotate the bezel to control music. So at no time am I doing both looking at and handling the watch.

But you are right about riding aggressively, ideally we should always ride defensively and plan ahead. However filtering is just such a good perc of motorcycle riding, and how fast we are in the city with heavy traffic. I just can't not take advantage of it. I always try to do it at safe speeds and ride within my comfort zone. But if im not in a hurry, I dont particularly mind following behind traffic

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is very uncharacteristic. I don't hearing of a similar malfunction in quartz watches. I reckon something is screwed up in the electronics. And if it left damaged from the factory in 2011, go to the dealership and maybe they will replace it for you? It is not related to the warranty period, because it is according to what you describe a defect that came from the factory. Not worth arguing about, but maybe they'll agree to take responsibility. Asking them costs nothing.
Tie Coat Drinkware Tableware Smile

• Haha
Reactions: Tamir

·
Registered
981 Posts
The funniest part of the story, I came to the local Honda dealership with another similar claim (defect who came from the factory on a 10-year-old motorcycle), they refused to admit the defect, and despite everything I got a 250USD compensation from them. They didn't do it voluntarily, it was ordered by the judge.
In this case maybe you want to updated your emoji?

·
Registered
95 Posts

That's a common problem on the CBR250r. Over-revving your engine interferes with the space-time continuum. Keep your RPM below 8500

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe because I picked up about 30 Covid-pounds, time seems to go faster when it's sitting without me on it. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts