Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Clunk noise while shifting down to 1st

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Kalboogie 
Motorcycle gearboxes almost always have clunks and other noises. But as you become more familiar with the bike you will begin to notice at what speeds and RPMs the gearbox prefers to be shifted at, both up and down the gears.

I've been able to go up through all the gears with just a snick at each change and then the next time through there might be a clunk if I miss the perfect speed, amount of clutch activation or RPM level. It's all a matter of syncing up the engine speed with the rotational speed of the front sprocket shaft. The rider becomes the greatest syncro between those two spins and the better you can sync them before releasing the clutch lever, the smoother your shifts will be. Try giving the throttle a blip after you pull in the clutch and before you shift from 2nd to 1st. I do this between 3rd and 2nd to try and avoid the clunk there. I just wait until I am almost at a stop before shifting to 1st to avoid that thunk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.