Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for there to sometimes be a clunk sound when turning off the engine? Might it be just a normal sound of the starter clutch? Just paranoid because when the Honda CX650 Turbo's starter clutch starts to make such clunking noises, it's a decidedly bad thing.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
do you use the key or the kill switch ?

i use the key but when i use the kill switch , she doesn't like it :mad:
makes, in my opinion , a wierd noise.

·
Registered
147 Posts
MSF taught us to use the kill switch then key.

As far as noise, I haven't heard anything that sounds to be bad when using the kill switch.

I didn't even know you can just shutdown with turning the key to off without the kill switch first.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hear the clunk when turning it off.
like the piston coming to an abrupt halt or something related.

I figured it was normal?

none of my other bikes/cars ever do such a thing though.. always smooth when turning off..

worth asking the dealership about?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is it normal for there to sometimes be a clunk sound when turning off the engine? Might it be just a normal sound of the starter clutch? Just paranoid because when the Honda CX650 Turbo's starter clutch starts to make such clunking noises, it's a decidedly bad thing.
I want to revise my previous statement. There is a clunk sound when turning off the engine using the kill switch. I have never had or owned a motorcycle before so I got nothing to compare it to. My sixth sense tells me its normal. You know a bad sound when you hear one.

What is the normal way to turn a bike off - the kill switch or straight with the key to off?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In 28 years of riding, I've only ever just turned off using the key. If you look at schematics, all the key switch does is turn a few things off all at once, one of those being the ignition, which is same as the kill switch.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In 28 years of riding, I've only ever just turned off using the key. If you look at schematics, all the key switch does is turn a few things off all at once, one of those being the ignition, which is same as the kill switch.
Yea I don't think we got anything to worry about with this clunk sound after we use the kill switch. Next time your at your mechanic mention that to him. I'll bet he'll say its normal with this bike anyway.

People use both key or kill switch to turn off their bike, according to the posts I read on other websites. They have their reasons why they do one or the other. None have I heard about this clunk when using the switch for other bikes.

Now the question is why is there a clunk sound? Most importantly, why is there no clunk sound when using the key to turn it off?

But eh, if something goes bad (which I doubt), we got warranty, one year for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
here i recorded short vid showing the sound. i figured it was normal but have a listen and say whether it is the same clunk you hear and whether its normal

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have the same sound as well on my bike. By the way Bob your tickover is way to fast.
do you mean the idle speed?

in the vid it was the first start in a couple days, it was idling quick but it always settles down to 1.5k after half a minute to a minute or so.
and then I believe 1.5 is right.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When turning off the engine with the key there is also that same clunk sound. So myth busted - I believe its normal. Like I said before the sound doesn't seem bad. Nothing on my bad sound radar says bad for bike lol.

·
Registered
147 Posts
here i recorded short vid showing the sound. i figured it was normal but have a listen and say whether it is the same clunk you hear and whether its normal

2011 cbr250r kill sound test - YouTube
i don't hear that clunk I hear on mine. Nice muffler. Ours is stock so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. You do have pet birds though right? Because if not then... I hear bird sounds after you kill the engine. lol.

eh...whatever it is, it sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i don't hear that clunk I hear on mine. Nice muffler. Ours is stock so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. You do have pet birds though right? Because if not then... I hear bird sounds after you kill the engine. lol.

eh...whatever it is, it sounds normal to me.
yeh I thought it was normal too. i wouldn't expect the same sound of an inline 4... but.. i don't know a whole lot about engines inner workings and what the sound actually is. if anyone does - please share :)
you can feel it too, its a final clunk that vibrates the bike more than felt during normal engine running.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wild-ass guess: maybe the "clunk" is the sound of the piston hitting the compression stroke, losing momentum, and then backing off slightly?

In any event, it certainly doesn't sound that bad to me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Many years cycling, I only use the kill switch when I change the oil. I did try it a few times to see if it worked. I turn it off with the key, got to remove it anyway.

That clunk on the video sounds normal for a single. And I thnk an echo or sound reflection is making the idle seem faster.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"The rattle" managed several threads and several hundred postings. Can "the clunk" beat it?
You do have pet birds though right? Because if not then... I hear bird sounds after you kill the engine.
I think a new thread needs to be started right away: "My bike has a chirp!"

But.. i don't know a whole lot about engines inner workings and what the sound actually is. if anyone does - please share :)
Ok, so my clunk is not alone. I think it sounds just like the starter clutch roller noise my CX650 Turbo makes when the engine kicks back when it shuts down or starts, but it only does it when the starter clutch is going south. But after hearing the video, I guess it is probably normal for this bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts