Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I poked around previous threads but couldn't find exactly what I needed information-wise so here goes.

I brought my bike in for first maintenance this past weekend. Everything was in order and the bike absolutely PURRS after the work that was done.

My only gripe is that the clutch was adjusted in some way - the result of which is that the 'sweet spot' which used to be in the middle of the range of motion of the lever is now at like 90% of the clutch being released. This is pretty tiring for my hand and has also caused a stall or two.

Is it possible to adjust the clutch to return the 'sweet spot' to where it was prior to first service?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yep, there are a few pages in the owner's manual that cover adjusting clutch free play. You'll either need to adjust at the lever, or, if they moved it too much for you, at the clutch housing end of the cable. Both adjustments are covered in the manual.

I'll assume the reason this bothers you may be short fingers? If so, simply replacing the lever with an adjustable lever may be the optimal solution for you.

There should only be a very minimum amount of free play in the lever- the actual position of the bite point didn't change, just what angle of the lever pull reaches it.

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
My wife has quite short fingers. Her clutch is adjusted to have a fair amount of slack before you feel resistance when pulling the clutch lever toward you. It's not by the book, but she's been riding off and on for over 45 years and that's the way she wants it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have more than "normal" free play in all my clutches. It gives me a feeling of more control of the engagement point.

As long as the clutch doesn't drag when the clutch is pulled in - the adjustment is not to loose.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I prefer mine to bite in at the end of the throw, very little freeplay. I have long fingers, though.

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
I once made the mistake of "fixing" my wife's clutch adjustment. It caused her to spin out her CB350 in the gravel parking lot behind the Jr. High where she taught special ed. I had to buy and deliver panty hose to the school (she was riding wearing a mini skirt; we were braver back in 1971 :D ).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts