Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this has happened to anyone else but i just snapped my clutch cable today. Just passed the 4k (2500 mile) mark. Was doing about 60kmph in rush hour traffic, tried to do a quick downshift and pass a few cars when it let go. Nearly got killed in the process (probably more from the shock of a Honda component failing) and tried to get out of the way of moving traffic and pull over to the left. Have never experienced this in 15 years of riding. And apparently this part is not covered by the Honda warranty and hence, neither is the new one either. This is a big confidence crusher for me cause the technician told me that this is a wear n tear part and can happen which is why it is not covered (same with the throttle cable). Of course they didn't charge me for the roadside assist but that doesn't really comfort me. The replacement part costed me 215 rupees ($4) which felt ridiculously cheap for such an important part. Are there any good cables available (with a warranty), cause i do not want to be stranded far outside town on my weekend rides.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've never heard of a cable snapping with so few miles on it.
Did it snap at the lever? If so, I'd be willing to bet that the barrel end wasn't greased properly and was binding up inside the lever housing which severely weakens the cable. Like taking a piece of wire and continuously bending it to each side. It soon breaks.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Lubrication, your cable will love you for it on all new bikes and cables.

Release it at the handlebar, a squirt of wd40 then follow up by a few drops of oil that will run down.

Do that with your next one and it will last the life of the bike.

*btw where on the cable did it snap?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually do that once a month though i don't really know if that is frequent enough. But then, it snapped at the other end. It looked like it had frayed one by one. Couldn't really tell how long this had gone on for but there was blackening at the split ends. Don't really know much about clutch cables but just trying to pass along a clear picture. Just another thing for me to check on the weekends before the ride i guess.

·
Registered
879 Posts
WOW thats hard to believe. Ive been riding for over 40 years had so many different bikes i lost count and i have never broke any cable on anything. Have to wonder if something was wrong with it right from the factory. No way should that have ever broke even if it wasnt lubed.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I broke the clutch cable on my 85 Suzuki GS750E while it was still in warranty. The tech fixed it so fast! It was unbelievable. That was my only transportation at the time so I rode it to the dealer with no clutch and got there half an hour before closing on a Saturday. He wasn't real excited about getting stuck with a small warranty job right before closing on a bike that was still ticking from the heat as he worked on it. Yanked the tank off in about thirty seconds. Strung the cable, back together, test ride, done. Maybe ten minutes and I was back on the road. He probably got paid all of fifteen minutes to do it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Did it physically snap??? Or did it come out of the end of whatever it holds onto the clutch with? If it snapped then ****.

·
Registered
576 Posts
you should have kept the cable for pictures for the forum.
i dont think i've ever heard of a non race bike having any
cable failure like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have got the same problem today. The clutch cable has got half broken from the end. It's got black color and got broken because of friction with the bolt that handles the cable to the engine. Not happy with it.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have had a cable snap a couple of times, and broken a clutch lever too; way out in the sticks, so a few days before getting into town to get parts.

No big deal really. You soon learn to ride without using the clutch. Just get the bike rolling and kick it into gear. Change on falling revs. Nudge it into neutral when you want to stop. Just have to plan ahead a little more than usual.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Cables often get torn when people remove/replace the clutch lever and dont back off the adjusters fully,
it tears the cables then snaps a few months later.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's got black color and got broken because of friction with the bolt that handles the cable to the engine.
I've looked at that point on my cable, and I see no way for the bolt to cause this. The cable comes nowhere near the bolt. Perhaps some were assembled sloppily?

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my bike, it does. The clutch cable is slightly horizontal towards nut which holds and the continous wear & tear broke it. Perhaps it's a default factory setting & I never tweak it but even then the Honda India isn't claiming it under warranty.
And the shock is not over. They don't have any clutch cable in the stock so I've been told to wait. :-|
sucks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have broken a few over the years and replaced them myself. Only one was replaced under warranty on a Suzuki I had. It had a little over 1000Km on it and I had to fight with suzuki for them to cover it. Normal wear & tear was their policy. You would be surprised how many times that cable gets pulled on an average trip.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think the spec between the Thai made bikes and Indian bikes are different. The Indian bikes are using parts. sourced in India and sorry to say it looks like the quality is not there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts