Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 CBR250r. every once in a while when i take off at a set of lights, my clutch makes a squealing noise similar to a disgruntled pig, i have just dropped the oil about 500kms ago and its still doing it around the same amount as before. any ideas on what to do?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Are you sure it's the clutch?
Start with the easy stuff and check your chain. Could be too tight or too dry.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Are you using motorcycle specific oil? The clutch is in the oil and if car oil is used the clutch may not function correctly.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
138 Posts
...my clutch makes a squealing noise similar to a disgruntled pig...
There is a real possibility that something bad is happening in your engine, I suggest you, do not ride on it, it can be really dangerous.
You better stop now, you will also reduce engine damage.
Go in for a check at a licensed garage.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Does the squealing sound change if you pull the clutch lever in and let it out, when sitting still in neutral?

As Tamir noted, you need to make sure it's not something that could be damaging the engine. Has it been serviced recently?

·
Registered
66 Posts
At times I suffer from this, if the bike has not been used for a longtime (Month+) when releasing the clutch to pull away from 'stop' I get a squeal, but, once the oil has circulated no more noise. Stop at a garage, cafe, etc, pull away no noise. It does not happen every time if it does with you then you have either a broken clutch plate ring or engine oil is dangerously low. Have you bee doing high rpm drag strip type pull offs??
Inspection is easy, take off the side cover after draining the oil, remove the 4 clutch spring bolts and remove plates in a planned order so they go back same as came off. Inspect clutch plates and clutch rings. Any damage will be visible, if you have a small pane of glass, use that to check for warping..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Inspection is easy, take off the side cover....
But to " take off the side cover" it is not that "easy".
You also need to drain the coolant, and of course have a set of gaskets ... and if you need to replace parts ... then wait for the order to arrive (and in the meantime the engine is open) ... and clean the cardboard gasket without damaging the sealing surface (because the lid is made of aluminum: soft metal), Then arrange everything back in place in specific order, and do not forget the screwdriver inside ... need a lot of concentration in this type of job, which is also take a long time (relatively), and need a lot of knowledge (relatively) ...

·
Registered
66 Posts
You also need to drain the coolant, and of course have a set of gaskets ... and if you need to replace parts ... then wait for the order to arrive (and in the meantime the engine is open) ... and clean the cardboard gasket without damaging the sealing surface (because the lid is made of aluminum: soft metal), Then arrange everything back in place in specific order, and do not forget the screwdriver inside ... need a lot of concentration in this type of job, which is also take a long time (relatively), and need a lot of knowledge (relatively) ...
Taking the side cover off does not expose any waterways, only oil will or should be seen, if you see water residue then you have more problems internally.
If you need to order spare parts then just put the cover back with the securing screws/bolts loose using that screwdriver you are concerned about leaving inside the crankcase.
If you feel you do not have enough knowledge then leave well alone and get someone who knows what they are doing, I always buy a manual for any bike I have from a good book shop. This is so I know what steps to do first.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I always buy a manual
Very good.
Look at the book you bought P.10-6(OR Haynes5919, P.2B-20, section15), you will see that the water pump is in the right cover CBR250R, and for taking off the right engine cover it required to drain the coolant ...
In other CBR models it may be different

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does the squealing sound change if you pull the clutch lever in and let it out, when sitting still in neutral?

As Tamir noted, you need to make sure it's not something that could be damaging the engine. Has it been serviced recently?
so it isn't a consistent sound, its only every once in a while when i take off, never heard the noise in neutral, only when applying throttle in first. it got serviced a month ago

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At times I suffer from this, if the bike has not been used for a longtime (Month+) when releasing the clutch to pull away from 'stop' I get a squeal, but, once the oil has circulated no more noise. Stop at a garage, cafe, etc, pull away no noise. It does not happen every time if it does with you then you have either a broken clutch plate ring or engine oil is dangerously low. Have you bee doing high rpm drag strip type pull offs??
Inspection is easy, take off the side cover after draining the oil, remove the 4 clutch spring bolts and remove plates in a planned order so they go back same as came off. Inspect clutch plates and clutch rings. Any damage will be visible, if you have a small pane of glass, use that to check for warping..
nah i dont really take off like im a moto gp racer, it happens when i take off with lower rpms (sub 4000 i think). never happened above that

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very good.
Look at the book you bought P.10-6(OR Haynes5919, P.2B-20, section15), you will see that the water pump is in the right cover CBR250R, and for taking off the right engine cover it required to drain the coolant ...
In other CBR models it may be different
I stand corrected, you are correct, apologies.

When I had my engine in bits to fit the Takewaga 305cc barrel the coolant had already been drained before I turned my attention to the clutch.Haynes 2B-18, section 15
Takewaga supply (if wanted) stiffer springs to prevent squeal owing to the increase in torque.

Will not comment again on any of your posts.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
so it isn't a consistent sound, its only every once in a while when i take off, never heard the noise in neutral, only when applying throttle in first. it got serviced a month ago
What did they do?

How does the chain look? Clean and lubed? Properly adjusted? Check to make sure it's not too tight. Check the tension every 1/4 turn of rotation - it will most likely change.

Slightly loose is better than slightly tight, which puts stress on the countershaft bearing and seal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What did they do?

How does the chain look? Clean and lubed? Properly adjusted? Check to make sure it's not too tight. Check the tension every 1/4 turn of rotation - it will most likely change.

Slightly loose is better than slightly tight, which puts stress on the countershaft bearing and seal.
the chain is properly lubed and cleaned, i had it adjusted to the right tightness aswell, i dont think its the chain as its feels like its coming from the mid right side rather than the left.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts