Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a 2012 Repsol 250. I love the decals so I don't want a new bike but I don't know if my issues are worth fixing?

I started having the bike randomly cut out while I was riding

6200km trip later it to see my family
Started cutting out more often, fine when it's in gear. I'd be doing 120km/h no issues and I'd pull the clutch in it cuts out every single time.

i managed the last stretch by giving it a bit of a rev while I downshift to stop it cutting out.

I just tried to get groceries and I didn't even get a block, was going 50km/h got to a school zone and tried to downshift with some revs to 25km and it just wouldn't start back up.

Think riding it how it is is just putting excess stress on having to start the bike 15 times in a trip.

I don't have other transport and the whole covid thing has made looking for work extremely frustrating

I booked it in for a mechanic but they're busy until the 1st of September

It needs new tyres and a service, I'm just wondering if the cost of that plus some engine work if it's worth just scrapping the bike?

I paid $3000 AUD for it two years ago while it was at 28,000 km, it's sitting on 38,500 kms now.

Would I be better off getting another cbd in better condition or bussing it? Money is tight :/

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Look in the tank for signs of rust. Fuel Pumps are easily damaged by debris in the tank.

Check some simple stuff before you take it in.

Is the gas fresh?

Is the air filter clean?

Oil in good condition and up to proper levels? Have you changed the oil and filter recently?

Check the battery voltage before starting. It should be over 12.7V. Should still be over 10V during cranking. A bad battery can do what you described. They don't last forever, and can go bad at any time - even if they are fairly new.

I also suggest adding a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate (1 oz per gal) now and once a year. Depending on the quality of the detergents in your gas, you may have deposits built up internally that can cause problems.

I don't see this being clutch-related based on what you've said, but check the wiring and connectors going to the clutch and sidestand safety switches for bad connections.

EDIT: It's hard to say if pulling the clutch in is causing the problems or it just isn't idling, so it dies when you stop or aren't applying throttle. Maybe give more info so I can get a better idea of when it happens.

·
Super Moderator
6,934 Posts
Your bike should actually have a lot of life left in it, but at 38,500km it certainly will be due for maintenance items... no one should scrap an otherwise decent bike just because it needs new tires and a few other items.

As for the cutting out issue, check the clutch cable free adjustment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys, I got a 2012 Repsol 250. I love the decals so I don't want a new bike but I don't know if my issues are worth fixing?

I started having the bike randomly cut out while I was riding

6200km trip later it to see my family
Started cutting out more often, fine when it's in gear. I'd be doing 120km/h no issues and I'd pull the clutch in it cuts out every single time.

i managed the last stretch by giving it a bit of a rev while I downshift to stop it cutting out.

I just tried to get groceries and I didn't even get a block, was going 50km/h got to a school zone and tried to downshift with some revs to 25km and it just wouldn't start back up.

Think riding it how it is is just putting excess stress on having to start the bike 15 times in a trip.

I don't have other transport and the whole covid thing has made looking for work extremely frustrating

I booked it in for a mechanic but they're busy until the 1st of September

It needs new tyres and a service, I'm just wondering if the cost of that plus some engine work if it's worth just scrapping the bike?

I paid $3000 AUD for it two years ago while it was at 28,000 km, it's sitting on 38,500 kms now.

Would I be better off getting another cbd in better condition or bussing it? Money is tight :/
Under the tank check if the spark plug cap insulation is intact, spray all contacts and electricals with contact spray or Wd40, while you are at it also check spark plug if needs replacing

Also use gasoline additive to clean up the system

After this check most everything would have sorted out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts