Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Has anyone has this similar problem like mine. After having clock up to 1000km, in the morning when i am starting off in 1st gear . It make a crunchy sound like something is grinding the clutch. It only happen in the morning, when it warm up after 10mins it goes away.

In the afternoon after leaving work , i do still notice when changing gears. I rang the dealer told him about it after it has 1st service. He told me it has glazing on it and to fix the problem he has to pull the box apart and look at it.
But he told me it wasnt part of warranty and i got to paid for it....?????WTF The bike has only done over 1000km why would the clutch develope this problem when it a new bike. Wouldn't the warranty cover anythings wrong with the bike???

·
Registered
400 Posts
nope never had that problem,and i got my bike when it was freezing cold outside and riden it even in the rain.all hours of the day,didnt have this problem.

and i would think it should be covered in the warranty.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi guys,

Has anyone has this similar problem like mine. After having clock up to 1000km, in the morning when i am starting off in 1st gear . It make a crunchy sound like something is grinding the clutch. It only happen in the morning, when it warm up after 10mins it goes away.

In the afternoon after leaving work , i do still notice when changing gears. I rang the dealer told him about it after it has 1st service. He told me it has glazing on it and to fix the problem he has to pull the box apart and look at it.
But he told me it wasnt part of warranty and i got to paid for it....?????WTF The bike has only done over 1000km why would the clutch develope this problem when it a new bike. Wouldn't the warranty cover anythings wrong with the bike???
If the clutch plates are glazed, that usually means that the clutch has been abused or way too much clutch slipping has been done (improper clutch technique)... A remote possibility is that the clutch has been out of adjustment (not engaging fully when the lever is let out), but I think driveability problems would have been noticed if this were true.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply guys..., got the bike back from the dealer but was told nothings serious. He said it not noticeable it only when the clutch been dump . The bike is fine , no problem with driveability. Just the whizzy sound if you drop the clutch, then it goes away when it warm up.

I was told to change the way i ride or adopted different riding style ...???WTF... How does he want me to ride differently, i am new rider never ride a bike before. The bike is made for a new learner so yes sometime i play around with the clutch to feel the friction point, but it take time to getting use to. Then i practice all the techniques for the first time timer like ...Slow riding , e- braking and etc ...day in day out...with using lots of clutch work.

That wouldn't affect the bike in anyways..it a Honda...and it only done 1000kms. Would the glaze on the clutch seriously damage the bike when the bike clock up more Kms???? I dont understand about bike stuff....:mad:

Cheer Cam....ride safe and stay safe guys...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Glad to hear that it's nothing serious. If you are slipping the clutch a lot, then your dealer is probably right, it would be a good idea to stop doing that. Slip it only when it's needed. The clutches in Hondas, Kawasakis, etc are probably all about the same. There's nothing magic about the Honda. If you do end up glazing the clutch plates, nothing bad will happen to the motor, the clutch will just not grab like it should and the motor will not hook up solidly to the rear wheel. The ride will suck and you'll have to get the clutch plates replaced (or maybe they can be sanded but it'd probably be cheaper to just buy new ones).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the reassuring , i guess i have to be gentle with the clutch, let it out slowly and try not to dump it. Hopefully it will go away. Let hope so.....???? There is no slipping at all the bike perform well.

Should i change to different oil, i dont know what kind of oil does the dealer put in on the first service...

Look like i have to cut down on practicing on slow riding which i use lots of clutch work.

Once again thank you for the info , glade to have a member who understand bike..

Cheer Cam...

·
Registered
706 Posts
You gotta realize if the bike was 500+ CC dumping the clutch would flip you off of it, so you do need to try to learn not to, or to properly rev match shifts.

To help you out, a glazed clutch is a clutch where the material has been overheated and has smoothed out the surface and become shiny, this shiny surface has less grip.
What can you do? Drive it easy for 100 miles and the glazing should go away completely. Most OEM clutches were designed to take abuse like that as they knew they would be subjected to a lot of different drivers, some better or worse then others. So the clutches are typically organic material that can be re worn in after being glazed.

Now if we're talking aftermarket like my car has, well.... mines Kevlar based, it takes a lot of abuse but if you push it too far it's done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much for that info :) now i am very please to hear it not a major issue. I have a clear understand now what is glazed clutch mean, thank you for putting in a plain english.

I will be riding gentle and easy on the clutch for now untill i do more kms and see if it goes away. I will keep you guys posted.

Cheers Cam.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our bike (just like every other bike except most Ducati's) has a wet clutch, bathed in engine oil. It's not supposed to hurt the clutch when we "ride the clutch".

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have that noice coming from the clutch, primarily when the bike is still cold. It sounds like holding a piece of paper into a fan. Also the dealer told me after the service, that Honda would only pay under warranty if something is broken.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What kind of engine oil do you use? Is it SS or FS & what is its grade? I hope it should be Honda supplied. BTW, what's temperature, where you're living?

·
Registered
7 Posts
can someone tell me how i can find or make something to lower cbr250 for i am ready to buy they have one on the floor but will not by a bike i cant. reach the ground. pls advise

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of engine oil do you use? Is it SS or FS & what is its grade? I hope it should be Honda supplied. BTW, what's temperature, where you're living?
I am in Australia , and the oil were the one that was in the bike when it was brand new. After having it first service problem still exist, look like the clutch have to be pull apart and have it sand and put back. There is no other way to fix it i guess ????

·
Registered
240 Posts
Are you using 10W30 or 20W40? Both are being recommended for C250R here. IMO, 20W40 is better than 10W30 for our tropical weather.

·
Registered
12 Posts
can someone tell me how i can find or make something to lower cbr250 for i am ready to buy they have one on the floor but will not by a bike i cant. reach the ground. pls advise
I asked this question when I bought mine, first off, they told me I shouldn't do this until at least 600 miles - but there is a kit that will drop it a few inches, I think it was 3 inches - it also requires trimming of the kickstand. They didn't give me a price on it as they didn't have it anyways (and it was after hours).

However, I found myself liking the height.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts