Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went riding yesterday with some friends and we stopped at a pub to have a burger. Bikes were sitting in shade for about hour plus. My buddy hopped on and took off in a pretty ordinary fashion. About 3 seconds later he was on his ass and his bike was rashed. Cant stress enough the need for fresh tires if your riding in cooler weather.
crash at 1:09. I was pretty shocked how little it took to lay him over. After he was up and i knew he was ok, I couldn't stop chuckling. Was a busy day on Moreland. Lots a pretty ladies around. he was a trooper though. Hopped back on and let the day continue.

·
Registered
385 Posts
A lot of people assume that if the tread looks OK than the tire is OK. After a few years the rubber gets brittle and hard - you can see the small cracks around the edge. Not safe.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I checked 3 of my tyre pressure gauges the other day, all way different by 6psi, that also could be a factor to your friend.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Happened to a friend of mine who rides a 600, very experienced...took off late morning, assumed the weather had warmed up the roads enough. Suddenly found themself skidding on their back. Impact was enough it shredded the leather jacket, took out fairing and ground down the footpeg. Learning curve????? Make sure the tires are warmed up!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Even with good tires, Cold pavement + Cold tires usually = serious "Oh [email protected]#!" moment at it's best. A lowside at it's worse.

It's always a good idea to put a few easy, mellow miles on a bike to get some heat in the tires before shredding or pretty much anything that requires a handful of throttle.

·
Registered
354 Posts
yeah, cold beer used to make me slip and fall. I only found cold to be a traction problem once, and it was not the coldest day I had ridden on. It was ice from the night before that did not warm up enough to melt. I rode colder days when there was not enough humidity to form ice. Beer is almost always slippery.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
What did he do to warm up his tyres?

it takes at least 2 laps of a track or 15-20 mins road riding to get heat into any tyre.. and thats at 25C + temps, and progressively going harder on each change of direction.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked him to send me one with more lead in. He said he's watched it 100's of times in slow mo to figure out what happened. I was right behind him. back tire was just spinning from the moment he took off. We had just left the vortex parking lot and turned left. If you look to the left where he crashed, that is still the vortex parking lot. So from where he was parked to where he went down is about 30 yards. Only thing I can assume, which he hasn't admitted to is that he gave it a little gas coming out of the parking lot and hadn't straightened out just yet. Maybe a grease spot? I don't know. strange fall

1 - 9 of 9 Posts