Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every year my bike seems to struggle starting in the Winter when it's been left alone for more than 2 days. In the summer it starts fine and can be stopped for 2 or 3 week and still start right away.
Many people have told me this is normal and to just start it for 1 minute everyday to not have this issue.
Is it normal? Or is there something more going on?

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,010 Posts
This seems to me a question that is very suitable for the format of live broadcast on Partzilla (John Tally, every Tuesday, at 15:00 East Coast LINK).
In my case it turned out that the cause was a lean mixture as a result of a leak in the rubber seal (The Insulator 16211-KYJ-901) between the throttle body and the engine.
Try starting when you turn the throttle, but really at a very small angle, and see if it starts easily.
Low temperature challenges the starting process and there are several other possible factors, such as: Weak battery, An old plug, Old or Low quality engine oil, Valve adjustment, maybe a decrease in Compression...

· Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
Are you using a battery tender? If not, cold weather will drain your battery faster and make your bike harder to start.
Also, starting your bike "for one minute" during winter is very bad advice. Unless the engine is brought to true operating temperature (nor possible unless you actually RIDE it) those "one minute starts" could be harming your engine.

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,010 Posts

· Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
Me too, but now I'm not sure anymore.
Every November I winterize my CBR250R and put it up on paddock stands until March or April. You'd be surprised at how many riders don't do anything and will tell you "just start it and let it run for a minute" even though the temperatures here can be below freezing for days and weeks. It's bad advice that just won't go away. I doubt it's any different in KeepTheFeather's country. Based on the original description, it certainly SOUNDS like a problem that a battery tender could go a long way towards solving. Hopefully KTF will return and clarify.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts