Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
havent ridden in 3 days due to the weather. Hopped on this morning. I have electronic iron gates on a sensor that my bike will not trigger so I have to start my bike and hurry up and catch the gate if its up. If i don't catch it it can be another 20 min before another car comes out and triggers the gate. Once I'm outside the gate Ill stop and let my bike warm to atlas one bar on temp gauge. Today I hopped on it and it started right up as usual. I saw my window as the gate was up but about to close. I took off to catch it... stalled. Would not restart. after about 2 minutes trying to start it it fired back up again. It warmed up as I waited for another car to come by and open the gates. once warmed up it ran like a champ. It was pulling harder than it ever has esp in 6th. I was hitting 90 with ease.
Anyone have any theories? I just recently added a slip on. Didn't reset the ecu.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have heard you have to do a reset with a slip-on...also heard you didnt..so i dont know...and how does your gate sense a vehicle..is it like the red light magnetic sensors in the road (coil induction) I ordered 2 very cheap hard drive neodymium magnets off ebay..$5 total price,shipping included...I bolted the 2 halves together..stuck in under my cbr away from the exhaust (extreme heat can kill a magnetic field) now red lights I had to run every time before turn green for me after about 30 seconds or so

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you know where the gate loop (the wires beneath the asphalt) are, there are two things you can try.
Place the kick stand down directly on the corner of the loop where it is the most sensitive. I would suggest this for traffic lights as well but the engine shuts off as soon as the stand is lowered unless it's in neutral.

2. (this works better)
If you have something small, heavy and metal, you can place it over the loop to trigger the gate then kick it out of the way on the way out.

At work I keep half of a broken patio umbrella stand in the truck for just this purpose when I'm sealing driveways that have electric gates.

On Edit: I like spdklls's solution for the traffic lights. I've always wanted to try one of those signal sorcerer thingies, basically just a magnet mounted under the bike. This would probably trigger the gate as well.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reset my ECU tonight. seemed to have brought my power band back in the upper range. It was previously gone.

Tell me more about this magnet deal. How can I tell what type of triggering device it is. There is just what looks like a square cut in the concrete right in front of the gate where the cars pull up. Its a parking garage for my condos. Its used to just open when you pulled up to it but we had a couple cars taken in the late night so they made it remote access in and out only. Point me to where I can find these magnets!!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
If the gate requires a remote to open you're S.O.L. unless you get yourself a remote. At least for entering. Most gates will open to let people exit.

If the gate is set to auto then it opens automatically when the loop's (the square cut is where the wires lay) magnetic field senses a vehicle. The corners are the most sensitive.

There are a couple companies that market magnets for mounting onto bikes.
I'm currently thinking about this one. It's small and requires roughly 1 square inch of room for mounting.
Red Light Changer

No guarantee that it'll trigger the gate but it won't hurt and may help at traffic lights.

Edit: Is there a keypad box near the gate? If so you simply need to get the code from whoever is in charge of the complex.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
if it is a magnetic sensor..then a magnet mounted under your bike may do the trick...These sensors dtect the shift in the magnetic field that the steel in your vehicle creates....most motorcycles just dont have the metal mass that a car or truck has so they rarely trigger these..

The magnet gives you a much bigger magnetic field footprint under your bike making you appear to these sensors to have much more steel on your motorcycle than it actually does, triggering the red light or gate sensor as if you were a car or truck.

I see a bunch of these for $20 or even more, they are basically just neodymium magnets...for twenty bucks + shipping ...but hard drive magnets are also neodymium magnets and some of the strongest magnets you can buy and they are dirt cheap..$5 a pair,shipping included for the ones i bought...just go to ebay.com and search them..or just spend $20-$30 on one marketed for red light sensors..either way it's your money

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the gate requires a remote to open you're S.O.L. unless you get yourself a remote. At least for entering. Most gates will open to let people exit.

If the gate is set to auto then it opens automatically when the loop's (the square cut is where the wires lay) magnetic field senses a vehicle. The corners are the most sensitive.

There are a couple companies that market magnets for mounting onto bikes.
I'm currently thinking about this one. It's small and requires roughly 1 square inch of room for mounting.
Red Light Changer

No guarantee that it'll trigger the gate but it won't hurt and may help at traffic lights.

Edit: Is there a keypad box near the gate? If so you simply need to get the code from whoever is in charge of the complex.
I have a remote. but you still have to trigger the sensor. There is a call box on the way in but i have to call myself and answer and hit a key to open. Sucks when your in full gear.
ill ask condo association whats the haps. sure they can tell me what kind of sensor it is

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Magnets

I tried a stack of magnets that I removed from my brothers broken windmill. These are very strong neo magnets about 30cm square by 5cm thick. Six per side, evenly spaced down the length of my swing arm to turn the whole thing into a big bar magnet. It still didn't help much at lights. I might try to find some even bigger, stronger magnets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts