Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little nippy this morning (right at freezing) and I'm realizing that the pants I have just aren't working that well, even with long underwear on under them. What are you guys that ride when it's cold wearing?

I have a Tourmaster coat, so staying in that line means i don't have to manage zippers... Mixed on leather versus textile - I've had good luck with textile, but I'm cold in the pants I have.

Cortech GX Sport? Tourmaster Caliber? Or should I just get something like the Centurion one-piece?

Note: no gear is not an option for me - as the Harley Riders chant, "let those who ride decide"

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Wool is the way to go.

During long winter rides in cooler climes I wear woollen long johns, under cavalry twill (also wool) trousers. Wind and waterproof gear goes over the top of that. Prioritise gear that keeps you warm over gear to crash in. If you are cold you are more likely to crash.

That cheap synthetic stuff is comfortable over a limited range of temperatures, and I cannot stand the smell within minutes of putting it on.

Of course, having removed the fleece of a few sheep in my time, I am bound to promote the product, but I wouldn't do so if I didn't believe in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
just finished ordering Tour Master Venture four season pants....and I saw your post. Since you already owned the Tour Master jacket I would recommend you the same. Much make easier when zipped together.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I have Olympia Airglide pants (because they coordinated with the Olympia Jacket I already had) They are mesh but came with a windproof/waterproof liner. The mesh part holds the CE armor. I am not suggesting that you switch your gear to Olympia, but I wanted you to know that the liner works great to keep the wind (and sometimes rain) off me and I assume Tourmaster textile pants would do the same.

I perceive that textile pants have more room for layering than do leather, but someone out there may have a different perspective on that. I can wear jeans, fleece long underwear, or both under my riding pants. I start to look a little like the Sty-Puft Marshmallow Man at that point, but my legs and upper body are warm. Hands and feet are another story, but you didn't ask about them.

I really believe in the 3-layer (wind, warmth, wick) method to staying comfortable in winter. 0n a motorcycle, the 4th layer of armor probably should be factored in as well.

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually a friend has the Olympia Phantom one-piece suit that he is tremendously bigoted about (that's a good thing). He's got me wanting to try one, but the $400+ tag is scaring me.

And Michael is right about the wool - it does work, and if you get wet, you'll wish you had wool instead of most of the synthetics.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Wool is great. I use polar fleece for my insulating layer because I can get the same insulation with less bulk (there are wool alternatives that are thin, too, but more expensive). I guess I bank on the wind/waterproof layer to keep me dry. I might choose wool if I were in a kayak, but I'm not too worried about water getting through the outer layer, even in a driving rain. I rode about 100 miles in a pretty good rain this summer and remained bone dry (except for my feet and hands). Love natural wool for my socks, though, with a moisture-wicking layer underneath. I just got new waterproof boots, but haven't had the opportunity to test them out just yet. HUGE difference in warmth compared to the hiking boots I was forced to use up until now. There I go talking about hands and feet again...sorry.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't know heated suits are a route you want to take. Locally, the funerals are led by motorcycles year-round and friend of mine leads them consistently. He swears by electric heated suits.

·
Registered
576 Posts
i have used newspaper to block the wind in emegency
trips on bikes when i absolutely had to ride.
you would be amazed how good 1.50 worth of newspaper
works.
jeans-newspaper then sweats= toasty warm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts