Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to say it's getting a little cool out in the midwest. I do want to ride until snow falls. I was looking at some over pants. Can anyone recommend something ?

·
Registered
269 Posts
i've got the joe rocket alter ego pants so i can use them in different temps. i also wear running tights under my jeans when it's really cold

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I bought my armored over pants on ebay for under $80..shipped from here in the USA....came with a removable zippered quilted lining....ill use them this fall without the lining..then towards winter ill zip it in and ride even more :) ..I didnt want to pay $170 or even $200 like almost all pants i found everywhere else. (cough)(-joe rocket pants) lol :p

·
Registered
269 Posts
I didnt want to pay $170 or even $200 like almost all pants i found everywhere else. (cough)(-joe rocket pants) lol :p
i've got two friends that have crash tested them tho! newenough.com and motosport.com sometimes run really strong deals on them. i think i got mine for $100

·
Registered
112 Posts
He's right, it is getting colder. It got down to 79 today here o_O

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here in the Bay Area we've just got wet season and dry season. The bummer with wet season is when it starts the roads are full of floating oil cause it hasn't rained in 7 months.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just picked up Typhoon pant by Bilt at CycleGear... I bought them on a whim really... I had my service and its been raining so all I have are armoured jeans...

They are nice... waterproof along with a removable liner. Armor in the knees too. I just bought a size up and threw them on over my regular jeans and worked out great. My 1st rain ride in them today, and I was fine. My only gripe is that I wish they were like 3-4 inches longer. When riding, they came right up to the top of my hightops.... But for $80 i think its a win.

·
Registered
66 Posts
First Gear makes a lot of the Honda line apparel. Good stuff. You can generally find First gear in something similar to the Honda line apparel at a much cheaper price.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Picked up Firstgear heated liner and gloves, portable dual controller and pouch. Cost a bundle, but I finally have a bike with good electric output, so I thought I would try it, and I hate being cold.

I used an Olympia coat and pants last winter, they are really good for all seasons with water proof liners. The zipper in the liner is starting to come out though and it's not even a year old- we'll see how the warranty works on that...

Will probably try theKilimanjaro jacket as the Olympia isn't really up to the constant wet we have here and is a little thin if it's cooler than about 44f.

Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket - 2011 - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The cold is almost over here... spring is looming :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
the Firstgear 2xl gloves were too small. May try the heated grips you guys are talking about.

The store where I bought the Olympia coat stopped selling them. So I called the company and they were really helpful. Said if I sent the piece to them, they would repair it and send it back to me.

This gear is really expensive, but it lets you ride a lot more.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i've got the joe rocket alter ego pants so i can use them in different temps. i also wear running tights under my jeans when it's really cold
Do you wear these as an overpant? I have been curious how well they work as an overpant since they're not marketed as such.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have the alter ego pants as well. I bought them with the waist a little big just so I could wear them over my jeans and they work great.

I wear them occasionally (like today) but usually I'm in an Aerostich one piece roadcrafter suit. It's bloody expensive but you sure can layer up underneath for the cold weather.

Add an electric vest or liner and some heated grips, some good cold weather gloves and a fleece jacket and maybe some fleece overpants and you can ride all winter long. Another trick is rain covers over your gloves. They block out a lot of the nasty cold wind.

With my setup I can ride in temps down to about 20 F as long as I stay under 50 mph (windchill factor is a real bitch). I can do 30F as long as I stay under 60 mph. The body stays good but the fingers get really freaking cold even with heated grips at faster speeds in those low temps.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Having ridden all year round on and off road, long and short distances in all weather conditions, including falling snow in UK, Europe and NZ (the last including trips to ski fields) I suggest:

Silk balaclava to wear under your helmet.

Woolen or silk long johns and T-shirt as a base layer. Synthetic is not as warm and stinks

At least one more woolen layer under your wind / waterproofs. I find cavalry twill trousers good (denim jeans are ok if it is not too cold) and a decent quality pullover / jersey / jumper / sweater (call it what you like depending on your flavour of English)

Scarf - I use a kaffiyeh (often worn by Arab men as a headdress)

Boots big enough to wear two pairs of woolen socks; one thin and the other thick.

Wind and water proof are my main criteria for the outer layer. A little padding is nice, but too much becomes uncomfortable.

I have found a thin water proof over my leather jacket makes a big difference to its ability to keep me warm. Leather by itself is not a great insulator.

Mittens - hard to come by these days, and probably contrary to the teachings of the MSF gospel, but I swear by them. They are a little awkward at first but no problem once you get used to them, and much warmer than gloves. Numb cold hands are useless.

I have mittens made of the same leather they use for welding gloves. When it is cold I wear woolen gloves or mittens underneath. I spray them with water repellent occasionally, but if they do get soaked and you are wearing wool underneath, your hands will stay warm.

Wool and silk are wonderful, natural fibres. Sure they cost a bit, but they are durable and it is money well spent. They are comfortable over a wide range of temperatures. Wool keeps you warm even if it gets wet.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I got the Tourmaster Caliber pants. I have road tested these pants for over 1500 miles, during thunderstorms, strong winds and they have held up. The fit is baggy and allows plenty of room for jeans, etc. They come with a removable liner, the coldest I have worn these was around 55F/70mph.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts