Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing a RAM mount to the controls. The position is a little high and a little too flat. When riding you don't have a great angle to the screen. Just thought I would give it a try i found the kit on ebay. I might switch it over to a radar detector as the position would be good for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Could you bolt the mount upside-down to lower the GPS?

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
The suction mount will work well enough, needs to be stuck onto the lower left or right of the screen where it's flat.

I bought a GPS the day before a 3 day ride and didn't have the chance to get a RAM mount. Did over 2000km I think, much of it at close to top speed, and top speed (160kph indicated 145kph GPS) and it stayed on. I did get a small dog collar and tie that around the suction mount and then clip it onto a front cable just in case.

I will get a RAM mount though. Probably one like this.

One thing I need to get is a cover clip to protect the cable connector when the GPS isn't plugged in. I really only use it about once a month and don't want the cable connector exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As a motorcycle courier, I use a GPS all day every day. IMHO, the best way to do it is use a Nuvi 360. Load your route on it and some MP3s, plug your headphones in, and put the GPS in your pocket. If I need to look at the GPS, which isn't very often, I pull over and pull it out of my pocket.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I use my TomTom One on days I'm not just driving to work...I use a stem mount...the most practical place to put a mount....
one thing I do like about a GPS is glancing down and seeing the curves coming up..very useful on roads you have never been on before

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The freedom of movement is not enough. If you turn it upside down it will bump the tank. I going to try to grind off a little at the joints on the stalk to first get it lower then the other end to tilt back it more for better viewing. It definitely not plug and play. It's hight is bad as when plugged in the cable would dangle too much when the gps in not there.
There was a tread somewhere about the clamp to the fork Ram mount which seemed better.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Attachments

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Thanks for that spdklls, that's where I'll put mine.

What do you do with the power cable? Presumably you've one attached to the battery, where do you keep this to keep it out of the elements?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I was in a hurry the day I installed it so i just pushed the cord into the cracks of the fairing and up to the front of the bike...then i just let it sit there...it has a rubber cap on the end to keep out the elements when not in use..when I plug in the gps I put it between the keys and ram..stays there just fine....
Its not ideal and I have enough cord on the power adapter to maybe zip tie to the handle bar or fork somewhere easily accessible.. or i could just keep the power adapter under the rear seat cuz theres enough cord on the gps to run back there, but it would be more of a hassle ..
I am sure I will change it eventually one day but in the meantime it works this way just fine...i have been rained on many times...one time i did have to replace the mini fuse in the gps power cord but other than that..no problems..

let us know how you end up doing it

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just finished installing a RAM mount to the controls. The position is a little high and a little too flat. When riding you don't have a great angle to the screen. Just thought I would give it a try i found the kit on ebay. I might switch it over to a radar detector as the position would be good for that.
How is that working with regards to windshield clearance?

I've got my iPhone mounted as a GPS off the stem mount, but I was hoping to either use one of the threads next to the reservoir cover to add a RAM ball up there, but it looks like if I need to turn sharp to leave a parking stall the mount will hit the windscreen. **Or if I lock my handlebars fully left, it seems like there won't be enough clearance.

If it is OK for clearance, I'd love to mount my radar detector up there.

Also, what is the part number on the clamp for the bar?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
38 Posts
To clarify with an image, I am thinking off adding a ball where the pink arrow is pointing to. The sweep of the handlebars, and thus the ball is indicated by the blue arrow. The blue arrow is what concerns me.

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
That concerned me too.

I still haven't gotten round to mounting it yet, but what else concerned me was the lack of universal size connectors.

I want the ball clasp at the back of the GPS hold to clasp onto the ball that's mounted into the steering mount.

That one piece is only 850thb. Sweet. But no, the ball size is different, so you need an arm.

Okay.

But the GPS doesn't connect to that either, so you also need a diamond head screw plate...

2,100thb.

Surely they could just have the ball sizes the same and make it better for us customers, but not so good for their profit margin.

·
Registered
206 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts