Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change out the coolant, the bike is a 2012 that i have owned for 2 years, i have never changed it and have no idea if the previous owner ever changed it since new.

I know how/what to do but according to the service manual i should replace the seal on the drain plug below the water pump. But i do not see a part number or description of the part. I don't want to start the service and then figure it out once i have the drain plug removed. I've searched the forum and googled it but cannot seem to find the answer.

Can anyone give me any info?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I think you may be over-thinking the job. I've changed the coolant twice so far in my 2011 CBR and have never replaced the seal on the drain plug, nor have I ever seen any evidence of it leaking.
Changing coolant is a fairly simple job and there are many good videos on YouTube to guide you through it. I can't recall any that included the replacement of that seal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my Ninja uses crush washers on the 2 coolant drain bolts...maybe this is what the OP is referring to? Crush washers are cheap and generally should be replaced rather than reused...but many people get away with reusing them with no leakage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my Ninja uses crush washers on the 2 coolant drain bolts...maybe this is what the OP is referring to? Crush washers are cheap and generally should be replaced rather than reused...but many people get away with reusing them with no leakage.
Yes that is exactly what i am referring to. See the attached from the honda service manual saying to replace it. I fully understand how to do the procedure, i'm just looking for info on the washer. I reuse crush washers too, but i always have spares in case they fail. i just dont want to be down waiting or searching for the part once i have the service in process.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
lots of places to get your crush washers from...you can go to your local Honda bike dealer, buy online, amazon, ebay....cheap and easy to get. I get my crush washers from my local bike dealer because then I have an excuse to sit on all the new bikes in the showroom!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The manual also says to replace the crush washer on the oil drain plug too. Never saw a need or reason to do so, as long as it's not mangled up and dripping. So if you don't mangle the washer on the drain bolt, you should be fine. Lowes also has fiber crush washers in all sorts of sizes. You could even swap it to an o-ring type washer if you wanted; they have a large selection that should get what you need if the need arises.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My suggestion is to visit your local Honda dealer and pick up a new water pump drain bolt washer. It will probably cost around $1. For me, I don't want to go to all the effort of replacing oil or coolant and skimp or skip such a simple inexpensive small part that could cause big problems. Best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts