Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Recently purchased a 2012 CBR250R from a private seller and everything was fantastic for about a month until I noticed that the bike was leaking coolant quite consistently. Letting it run on idle would leave a small puddle on the floor.

Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a35q4-X2I-8

I've been reading around the forums and a lot of people say it could be due to the mechanical seal. Since the bike is out of warranty, I'd rather do the replacement myself however from the videos I have seen it seems quite hard to do. Judging from the video and my symptoms, could it be indeed the mechanical seal?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Are you sure it's not just coming from the coolant overflow tube below the bike?
How long are you letting it just sit there and idle?
Long enough for the cooling fan to kick in?

Opps...nevermind. Just saw the video and that sure ain't overflow.

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
Yes, it would be the water pump Mechanical Seal that is causing the leak.

If you're not comfortable doing the work yourself, I'd recommend having a motorcycle shop replace it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Mike, is this a known issue? Don't recall seeing that much posted about it on the forum. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
It's not a problem or issue which would be considered particular to the CBR250R... any water cooled bike could develop a leak caused by a Mechanical Seal failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. After reading about it all last night it seems to be the culprit. I rode it home which took 15 mins and the reserve tank went from upper to half below lower.

Im gonna fill up the radiator and reserve and take it to a shop tomorrow. Ill keep a bottle of coolant in my backpack to top off if I have to lol.

Btw whats the rough cost im looking at here for this repair?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts