Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. After adjusting my valves, I removed the radiator, and thus half of the coolant, in order to have enough room for my elephant hands to get through the frame bars. There seems to be a slight oily type film on top of the coolant I saved in a pouring cup. Not sure if it came from the cup or was in the coolant, but I am NOT putting that back in there.

Question is, do I HAVE to use the Honda coolant mix? It states in the manual to not use a non-ethylene glycol mix, so shouldn't just normal green 50/50 coolant be fine? Or is there a special mix of lubricants and anti-corrosion stuffs in the Honda mix that is proprietary?

Just asking because one quart of the honda stuff costs more than a gallon of normal premix, and if possible, I didn't want to drive 45 minutes just to get the Honda stuff from a dealer. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I normally do for my cars is get the concentrate, then make my own 50/50 out of my ultrapure DI-water machine in the laboratory at school. But for some reason, I am quite a bit more anal about this machine....:)

The thing about silicates apparently is that it can possibly damage water pump seals. Some old Goldwing owners had this problem a few years ago. So I SUPPOSE that any ethylene glycol WITHOUT silicates would be fine, but I'm lazy, and it's a lot of work reading the backs of those bottles...

OEM for me then! :D Thanks sendler!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
OEM is the safest choice, but there are plenty of Silicate-free coolants available. They will usually say it right on the front, if not, check the back panel. I've used one of them before without any problems. Some are premixed 50/50, but there are concentrates as well.

Not exactly what I've used, but Prestone does make a cycle coolant:

Bottom of the page - Antifreeze / Coolant | Products | Prestone®

Jay

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
..and the service manaul doesnt say to use a NON -ethylene glycol mix..it says to use Pro Honda HP coolant or an equivalent high quality ethylene glycol containing silica-free corrosion inhibitants
My coolant was a tad bit low last fall..i just poured a cupful or so of the auto coolant i had sitting in the garage...dint really pay much attention..it said corrosion preventative..but doesnt say silica free...hopefully one cup aint enough to hurt it...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I may have worded that badly. The manual says to NOT use a NON-ethylene glycol mix, which would be better to say as spdklls hath already said, ONLY use ethylene glycol antifreeze.

The Peak, Prestone, and Supertech walmart coolants are confirmed silicate free and ethylene glycol based, so they SHOULD be fine if no one can find the OEM stuff. I think only the old G-05 spec green antifreeze has silicates now.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I guess I mis-read that line about not using non-glycol..sorry.....do the coolants you listed have silica-free written on them?..at this point I'm wondering if i need to change my coolant since the jug I used to top mine off doesn't have it printed anywhere,front or back..

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Spdklls,

It probably hasn't hurt anything from the amount you said you put in and for how long it has been in, but I'd go ahead and flush it asap with some silicate-free coolant. Eventually, those silicates could do some work on your water pump seals. Yes, the Walmart brand concentrate and 50/50 pre-diluted are confirmed silicate-free, as are the Prestone and Peak bottles. The MSDS sheets for these are identical. My Walmart had extended life concentrate for $9 a gallon last time I checked.

Just make sure it says "safe for aluminum engines and radiators" or something to that degree somewhere on the bottle and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bottle I used has that written on it..just didn't say silicate free anywhere.
As long as it isn't propylene glycol based, that should be fine. :) If it is extended life antifreeze, it should be phosphate, silicate, borate, and nitrite free. So you should be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts