Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK. I've done a day ride with the Corbin seat and here are my impressions.

Compared to the stock seat which felt soft and peaked the Corbin is firm and broad. The broad platform seems to be more comfortable for the longer rides. The ride today was mostly seat time with very little time spent off the bike. I didn't have to interrupt the ride or do any shifting around to get a break from the aching as I had to with the stock seat.

I have a rather short inseam, about 30", so the broad flatter seat made me a little less flatfooted at stops. I plan to spend more time riding than stopped so this should not be a problem :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm leaning heavily toward it having had one once before. I was thinking of going with a cheap gel-under-sheepskin solution from Alaska Leathers but someone pointed out that the gel's thermal mass means it stays hot if exposed to sun and takes forever to get warm if the bike has been in a cold garage in winter.
BTW I rode yesterday in some fire hose work pants from Duluth Trading and they were much more comfortable than jeans - made a big difference.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It ain't cheap but it works and it looks 'quality'. You can order it with many options, colors, textures, etc.. so if you want it to look very personalized, you can (one guy I knew had he and his wife's initials stitched into their seat).

If $$ is an issue then the Sheep Skin, Mad-Max Animal Pelt Marauder look thing sounds like a good alternative :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I can stay in the saddle much longer with the corbin than I could with the stock seat....of course it's not a cure all...i could feel the burn setting in eventually but I knew it was inevitable...it does raise you up about 1/2 inch higher than the stock seat,it even says so on the website ...it made it a bit awkward the first couple times I came to a stop but now Im used to it and dont even notice it anymore.
I can not recommend anyone to spend $300 for a new seat or any other seat (no more than I would recommend spending $400-$600 for a new exhaust) because everyones different..some will like it, some won't....that is something they have to work out on their own...but for me?...I would buy the corbin all over again in a heartbeat...it is worth every cent I paid for it to me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If $$ is an issue then the Sheep Skin, Mad-Max Animal Pelt Marauder look thing sounds like a good alternative :)
****light bulb goes off in head****
What to do with that skunk skin that's been sitting in my closet for 15 years....it IS just the right size.....

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I went riding this sunday to the north of me, hwy 421 in shady valley,TN..aka "The Snake"
I left around 11am..took 2 hours or so to get there...I went east to Mountain City to get a bite to eat and use the bathroom, took another 30 minutes or so...spent 20 minutes off the bike...my butt didn't really need it at that point though.

Back on the snake and headed west towards hundreds and hundreds of twisties and south watauga lake ... ..later near the lake stopped to take another wizz and to brush my teeth...
was off the bike for less than 5 minutes....then back east again thru all the twisties...
got to hwy 91 and headed south towards home...pulled in the driveway about 5:15...I felt like a million bucks and within 30 minutes was thinking of going back out riding for a few more hours till it got dark. ended up grilling hamburgers and hotdogs instead

so to summarize...6 hours on the corbin...a total of 25 minutes off the bike...and I admit there was a little burn going on (on the cheeks) at the very end but not the severe pain (my tailbone in the center of my cheeks) I experienced on the stock seat in much less time.
last time i went 5+ hours it was on the stock seat and I wouldn't/couldn't ride again for 3 days and then I was in severe discomfort again within 40 minutes when I eventually did...
and the Corbin has a break in period?? wow..then that means it will get even better than it already is as time goes on...it's the best $280 I ever spent in my opinion

·
Registered
9 Posts
just put the Corbin on the 250, nice snug fit. I ordered the stock item (2 pc) looks nice. Liked corbin seats in the past and thought I would give this one a try. Can't really tell much yet about the comfort until I get a few miles on the corbin. It didn't change the set height or width enough to be noticeable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
last bike i went to the mattress shop and cut of a big chunk of mattress from a returned mattress. the natural rubber latex kind of mattress. they just throw them away most of the time anyways so the guy let me hack off a peice. anyways, replaced the stock seat foam with that and it was the best seat i ever sat on. might wanna give that a try!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hmm...I actually prefer this stock seat to my Ninja's stock seat. I actually got a Corbin for that one(which I need to sell now lol)

I just did 13 hours on the stock seat, and though I was sore, by the next day I was fine.
Maybe if I have some extra money I will get one to try it out. For my everyday riding this seat seems to work for me.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I had a Corbin for my Ninja250R and it was the best accessory I've ever bought for a motorcycle. Pricy, but well worth it.
I like the way Corbin has beefed up the side bolsters on the CBR's stock seat. After a long time in the stock saddle it starts to feel a bit "rounded" with little support on the edges. The Corbin design looks like a good solution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm returning mine

I got a Cobin seat for my CBR250R because I've always switched to a Corbin on previous bikes: a GPz750, Ducati 907ie, Honda ST1100, Suzuki Bergman, Ducati ST4S. Big surprise! Instead of the comfortable, near flat support I've had in the past, the Corbin on the CBR250R is steeply raked, pushing the rider towards the tank and placing a lot of weight on the wrists. I was shocked. It's even worse than the stock seat because that one at least compresses at the rear, making it somewhat more level, while the Corbin doesn't.

I'm returning mine and asking them to recontour the foam to make it rideable.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I was shopping for my 250, there was a red CBR250R for sale that already had the Corbin seats but I chose the tri-color one which didn't have it. I should asked to swap the seats. Anyway, I ride with armoured underpants which come with soft padding around the butt/tailbone area instead.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Instead of the comfortable, near flat support I've had in the past, the Corbin on the CBR250R is steeply raked, pushing the rider towards the tank and placing a lot of weight on the wrists.
You know, I've had my Corbin for about a year and I had them add more foam to the front of the saddle when they made it (I live near Hollister) because I noticed that same steepness, fhilliard, with the stock corbin when I tested it. However, recently, Ive been squashing by family jewels frequently on my tank when I brake and dear lord, does it hurt. Seeing your post fhilliard makes me think that it may be happening because of this shape; I thought that I needed to try new underwear or something haha. Maybe I'll take it back to see if they will reshape it

·
Registered
209 Posts
hahah yup, and an escalator that takes you right back to the top. Post back if you do and notice any change. I will also, once I find a convenient time to do so. Hopefully they will be cool about taking doing that

·
Registered
501 Posts
When I bought mine they gave me the usual sh!t about requiring a few thousand milies to break in. When I got it, I also noticed the saddle pushing my 'nads into the tank, and had them add a little foam and reshape. I can't say it helped much. When I got it, it was also very hard and uncomfortable. I know some Corbin fan-boys regurgitate Corbin's line that you need this firmness so when it is broken in after a few thousand miles, it will be just like your ass is being cradled in a cloud. Well, you know what? My Corbin saddle was initially hard and uncomfortable. Now, two years and 15,000 milers later, the saddle is now ... two years and 15,000 miles older. I still consider it money well spent, because it taught me never to spend money on another Corbin saddle for any of my bikes for as long as I live. Spread out over the bikes I will own, it's actually not that much money, per, to avoid an over-hyped saddle.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I guess everyone's butts and nuts are different. I have been very happy with the Corbin. I am totally sold on the practical effectiveness of firmer foam that doesn't collapse all the way down to the hard steel pan during extended riding.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts