Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,377 Posts
Ahhh, more of my old stamping ground. I know those roads and the territory well, having visited, and at times lived and worked in the area at various times over the years. I hope you don't do it ad just a one day trip; there is far too much to see, do and explore there to just be passing through.

The coastal road from Thames to Coromandel is a magnificent. If it was me I would be loading up a few supplies and heading on up to Fletchers Bay, which includes some 40 km each way of unsealed road. At the end there is a great spot to camp to do a bit of fishing, hiking or and general communing with nature. A few clicks before you can see Auckland from the road over a hill.... drop down and that's it for the mobile phone signal, and I don't think there is even a public phone in the DoC campsite there. Bliss.

Still, it might be better to make a summer trip of that, than now.

Another road you'll be missing is the 309, a mostly gravel road over the ranges from just south of Whitianga to Coromandel, with a few interesting stops along the way. Maybe save that one for a longer trip too.

Whitianga to Kopu is an interesting and varied stretch. A side trip to Hot Water Beach is recommended if the tide is right. Dig your own spa in the sand below the cliff there for rest and a wallow.

The Kopu - Hikuai road is just magnificent....

I'm really looking forward to some photos from this trip.

I had hoped to be back in Aotearoa toward the end of this year, but now I am coming under pressure to stay on at work for another semester. Also coming from the Phuket Cricket Group who are after kicking a bit of life back into junior cricket. The glory seekers who bullied their way to taking over have effectively laid waste to what we achieved.... And now PCG want help to get junior rugby happening too.

So plenty to do on this small island, but the reward is only satisfaction; the pay is pittance.

· Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Michael. My mother-in-law owned a bach on the beach at Whangapoua for over 30 years but sold it 2 years ago. Reason she sold was to do with the dramatic rate of erosion of her beach front section due to winter storms. Will go see her old place tomorrow on the way round. I'm pleased to say the road from Coromandel to Whangapoua is no longer gravel and has now been tar sealed so all well and good. You're quite right about the coastal road from Thames to Coro' -- it's truly magnificent and even more so when the Pohutakawa's are in full bloom albeit nearer to December. I could do the trip as an overnighter in a couple of weeks time, staying at the family friends who who the farm homestead at Whangapoua but thought I'd do tomorrow (Sunday) instead partly because I just want to get out and ride. Ah well, I could always look at tomorrow as a practice run and do it again anyway ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.