Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been riding for a few months now and tonight was experimenting with counter steering on a back road at about 45mph.. its an amazing phenomenom! I saw some vids on you tube about it.. the bike reacts quickly and smoothly even at 45-50mph, very cool..:D

·
Registered
999 Posts
Sweet.
Keep it up. Keep practicing counter steering until it's programmed into body memory and becomes second nature.

This is in my opinion the #1 most important skill to have. It can save your life if you ever enter a corner a little too hot.

i.e. sharp left corner comes up fast. Rider who doesn't know how to counter steer panics and leans left but pushers the bars to left (pressure on right bar, pulling on left bar) and instead of turning, goes straight and right into the ditch.

Rider who knows how to counter steer leans left pushes on the left bar and pitches into the corner and comes out smelling like a rose.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at first when i heard about counter steering i was a little leary i will admit, but now that i tried and felt how the bike reacted, im a total believer..i did take a turn tonight just to see how it felt and gave it a little left hand pressure while taking the curve.. it felt very responsive to the small amount of pressure i applied...very cool. i will be out practicing again tomorrow..

·
Registered
319 Posts
How do you ride above 30kmh with out counter steering? Seriously!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Do they not have compulsory rider training in the US?

·
Registered
46 Posts
only been for 2 rides on the bike for about 15 mins each (so my total riding experience adds up to 30 mins lol) and im keen to learn this concept though the idea of it doesnt compute well in my head, it kinda goes against your logic, but obviously it works, how many kms must i be going minimum to try it? i havent been over 70 kms yet, due to mainly the roads where i live and nerves lol?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
only been for 2 rides on the bike for about 15 mins each (so my total riding experience adds up to 30 mins lol) and im keen to learn this concept though the idea of it doesnt compute well in my head, it kinda goes against your logic, but obviously it works, how many kms must i be going minimum to try it? i havent been over 70 kms yet, due to mainly the roads where i live and nerves lol?
Do the H.A.R.T. corse Shauno it will become natural.. even better as you are a new rider so bad habits have not developed.
At the Hart course the intructors set up some witches hats for a slalom to teach countersteering.
Countersteering pretty much happens soon as the clutch is out and balance takes over.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Keith Code books are the best., but in a very basic demo-

·
Registered
71 Posts
In West Virginia on the extremely curvy roads, I didn't know there was another way to ride without countersteering. You wouldn't make it to the next town if you didn't countersteer. I guess its just always been second nature to me and I never really had to 'learn' how to do it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
let me throw this out there..i think the all the while when riding i was probbrobly counter steering but didnt even know it..as a bmx-er in my younger years, im pretty sure that anything you ride on two wheels counter steers... but going out last night riding in a road i know well, i intentionally did it to see how responsive the cycle was when just doing the push left push right thing that i have read about and seen on the internet..And yea im sighned up for a moto saftey course in mid august (compulsory rider training) sorry Auffit for not waiting for my safety course to expand on my riding ability..;-]

·
Registered
999 Posts
Wait until you learn about weighing the pegs and sliding the butt over a couple inches.
The thing I love most about riding bikes is no matter how long you ride there is always more stuff to learn & improve on.

It is a life long pursuit that make's life a truly enjoyable experience.

To quote a T-shirt I bought from Aerostich:
"The road to enlightenment is More Fun on A Motorcycle"

·
Registered
210 Posts
Engineer here.. every turn starts with a countersteer. Its just more noticeable at high speeds, inertias, etc.
You might say there is another type of turn where the rider leans into the turn, waits for the bike to lean, then turns the handlebars into the turn; but actually, at the moment the rider leans in, the handlebars turn outside. If they didn't, the bike would immediately lean to the outside.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The whole countersteering thing is a weird concept but there's no doubt it works. I just try not to think about it. Just do it. :D

·
Registered
999 Posts
push left bar to lean left
push right bar to lean right.
It's called Counter Steering because you're basically turning the wheel in the opposite direction of what you would think you should. Keep in mind that the wheel doesn't actually move a whole lot in the opposite direction but just a micro little bit; just enough to pitch the bike down to the desired lean angle.
The faster you apply pressure the faster the bike will want to lean. The more pressure you apply the more the bike will want to lean.
When exiting a corner, pushing on the opposite bar will help bring the bike up as you're gently rolling on the throttle.

I suggest starting at slow easy pace on a road that's familiar when practicing.
You can also practice with a bicycle. Counter steering applies to everything that has two wheels in tandem.

I can't really explain the physics of it in an articulate enough way. If you get the chance, pick up a copy of Lee Park's Total control. It's loaded with techniques and explanations that relate to everyday street riding. He covers the whole counter steering thing very well.

It's so second nature to me now that I'll often ride with just the right hand. I'll push the right bar to initiate lean to the right and Ill pull the right bar to initiate lean to the left. I don't have to think about it, I just do it. That's the result of years of practice and the constant pursuit of technique.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ok so you just push/pull one lever at the time.
I was wondering if acting with both levers at one time will make driving too stiff, for the more force involved.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you're just starting out I recommend just pushing with one hand and not pulling with the other.
Actually one hand is the best method period.

Push the inside bar and relax your outside arm. Using two hands at once (one pushing, one pulling) can cause the two arm inputs to interfere with each other and you'll find yourself making constant micro adjustments.

So to break it down:
Left corner- push the left bar with the left arm and relax your right arm. When you reach the desired lean angle maintain but stop increasing pressure on left bar. As you exit the corner decrease left pressure and put pressure on the right bar to bring you up.

Right turn- Same as above only reversed- push the right bar with the right arm and let your left arm relax. Putting pressure on the right bar might seem strange at first because you also have to control the throttle with that hand but you will get it.

EDIT: And don't forget to lean into the turn. You don't have to hang off the bike, just keep your body leaning along the same axis as the bike.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks Metalstorm, it comes very natural to me. I ride 2 wheels since I was 16 (now it's ten years) but cbr250r is my first motorcycle with gears.
My discussion is just theoric, I try to apply my rational mind to processes I am already used to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts