Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had a little crash with mine CBR250, just some bruises, I was wearing a helmet which probably saved me from having a major injuries. They say there are riders who have been down and the once who are going down.
No major damage (I hope), This is what needs to be replaced:
Left big red fairing needs to be replaced
Fairing that is about the headlight
Headlight

I hope that nothing happended to the front wheel alignment.

Since I am totally new to motorcycles I need some advice from someone with experience.
I haven't contacted the dealership but I was wondering is there a way these can be fixed/repaired or getting a new ones?
Should I contact my insurance and will they cover the damages?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bad luck! Yes, you should contact your insurance and get them to cover the cost of repairs - that's what you're paying them for... I never understood people who keep paying for insurance then never claim it when they actually need to. Unfortunately repairs are expensive, and unfortunately modern bikes are very fragile and they don't crash well. Even a small drop usually results in hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of repairs. Also get the mechanic to check your steering - forks, wheels and handle bars.

And be prepared to wait for replacement parts... they might not arrive overnight, even for Honda. Especially now, with the supply issues everyone seems to have.

·
Registered
636 Posts
250fan -ive been in your shoes, and im glad to hear you are able to walk away with a few bruises..call your insurance, definately. and i second what ferrix advises: get a mechanic to check you forks, steering tree, make sure that thing rides right when you decide to get back on it. as far as calling your dealer, this is my advice..if your dealer has a reputable service record as far as mechanics, parts, ect. and you feel they are a solid crew, go for it. Yuor insurance will probrobly assign you an adjuster who in turn will assign a person to get an estimate from your mechanic.. you will pay a deductible and they will fix your bike. im glad to hear you are ok. what happened if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guys,

So I picked up my non abs bike 4 days ago and just crashed yesterday. I'm a new rider as well but got caught in a freak rain storm, should have planed better I suppose. Bike looks fine but left fender seems to have some scratches on it and the handle bar doesn't seem to be aligned. Is this something I can align myself before taking it to the dealer? Thanks guys, the positive out of this is I've gained an experience to which I can walk away from as well.

·
Registered
636 Posts
DANG!! that sucks..2 cbr guys in 2 days!! well at least you guys are ok..if i was you i'd at least get the thing looked at to make sure you didnt bend your forks and make sure enerything is intact..cant hurt right? did you just lay the thing down in the rain? or what? glad to hear you walked away karma..be safe brother..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dropped mine yesterday... No major damage... Road rash on muffler shield and mirror... that is it thank goodness!

·
Registered
31 Posts
My condolences, there are those who crash, those who will crash and those who have crashed and tell no one!! Happens to us all at time or another. Re: your insurance...whats the deductable? Are the parts less than the deductable and will your insurance rate go up if you make a claim? Just a little somethin somethin to think about. :eek:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hope everything is okay if you crashed at your fault there is ways to fix the fairing as you could use fiber glass to repair the fairings and get them re-d one in a color of your choice =p as for the headlight I'd suggest repairing it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am so jelaus of you guys enjoying your 250! It sucks to have a crash on a new bike, my first bike! I feel like my dearest pet has died!!! I got to liking this bike too much and too soon.
I will highly suggest any new rider to always ride under full equipment. Helmet, jacket, gloves evan boots. Those are the areas I did not have covered and got some bruises.
I hope I come out as a better rider, I definitely played out the whole scenario in my head what I could have done.
Another thing that i noticed my throttle was too "strong" and I thought that it was me not knowing how to use it, after reading some posts here it seems like they came set too hight from factory. I don't know why my dealer didn't check that and adjust or ask or something!!!

I took it apart and noticed that beside the fairings, the bracket where the gauge sits on is bent. I think it would be very hard for it be straightened out. Luckily, it is a part that can be easily removed. Forks seem ok, but I will still get them checked out.

So I need some guidance and from the riders that had similar experiences. I looked over my insurance and it states that I have collision coverage. So how would this crash impact my insurance rate as I am a new rider? (I hope not the same as cars) Will this record impact my car insurance?

As far as parts....are there any aftermarket fairings? are there any parts available? (If anyone talked to dealers about that yet )

I would like to get some guidance on this guys. I wont to get some good practice and get back on riding asap.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think the throttle thing your talking about was the throttle free play adjustments that people were making. Had nothing to do with making the throttle to strong. The throttle can be moved slightly before it gives the bike any accelaration.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@ op

Unfortunate but we're all pleased you were able to walk away from it :)
Even better that your ride is salvageable.

Do you mind giving us a blow-by-blow account of what happened?

·
Registered
636 Posts
250fan-too much throttle is not caused by your throttle play. from one novice rider who totaled a brand new suzuki 2 mos. ago, to another im thinking your lack of throttle control is something you are probrobly doing.. i am still doing drills in a parking lot near the house to get my throttle and braking smooth. and im still a little freaked out from my accident in march..if you really believe the throttle is screwy though, have an experienced rider look at it.. rev it a little in neutral see how it responds..or take it to your dealer see what they think.. i hope your ride gets fixed quick, glad yuo are ok..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so my fun with 250 is over! I got a word from insurance and it's totaled. The damage estimate from the dealership was 2800 in parts + 1000 in labor, which I could not believe since the damage did not seem that much. Right side fairings, headlight, instrument gauge, and support bracket....the rest was ok. I makes me wonder how much would it be if it was made in USA??? I am now in debate what to do next, since I was a beginner to start with, there are no more cbr250's around, I really don't want to get ninja 250, maybe used cbr600 but then the questions is insurance and is it too much power for a beginner?........

·
Registered
619 Posts
no 600
buy the bike back from the insurance co and you can make a cool naked or flat tracker bike. Collision on bikes is a scam.

A TU250 or nighthawk are both easy to ride. No faring is cheap to insure.

·
745 Posts
It's actually not unusual for a bike to be totaled with what looks like relatively minor damage. The parts are high, and the threshold for the Insurance company is to put the bike back like it was before the crash - so a scratched fork slider is the same damage to them as a broken fork slider.

A lot of times, you can buy the bike back like qlred suggests, but it usually comes with a salvage title - meaning it can be difficult to license in some states and the resale value is neglible.

I'm with qlred on the 600 - most of the 600cc bike are inline fours with a race heritage - meaning high RPMS and violent reactions to throttle inoputs at some RPM ranges. If you absolutely want something bigger, think about bikes like the Suzuki Sv650 or the Kawasaki Ninja 650 - even though they are "bigger" than the 600cc I4s, they make power totally different and are much more forgiving.

Why not another 250? If this has knocked your ready cash down, look for a year-or-two-old Ninja 250. Learn from the mistake, and you'll be a much better rider because of it.

Good Luck!

Luke

·
Registered
221 Posts
Im glad that you are ok and your bike was covered by your insurance. To total a bike like this is pretty easy, based on state rules, for VA if the cost to repair is more then 75% of the value, 3k on a 4k bike, its totaled. Parts are expencive, so its eazy to meet that limit. Labor around here is $80/hour and to replace a fork is alot of time and $$. Front forks are ~$400 for this bike x 2.

Some people dont claim because they can fix it themselves out of pocket and it keeps the claim from their record which will affect your future insurance rates. Insurance are scammers, they will suck your pocket dry.

I think in your case, you make the right decision.

hondapartsnation.com has parts for the CBR250R.

Since you made the decision to get a 250 to start, I'd say suck it up and get the ninja 250. Its sad you cant get another one, they are hard to find. Its cheaper, and you can learn before you upgrade to a 600.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts