Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I witnessed a fellow rider go down. We were out riding twistys and he did not see a very large gravel patch on the road. I saw it coming but he was not so lucky. He went in to a low slide and he rolled down the road about 15 feet or so. Considering that he was only wearing a t shirt (despite my warnings to use a full face helmet, gloves and an armored jacket) he did walk away from the crash. Road rashed hand, arm is all tore up, and the bike..... well it's fubur! Left side is trashed. broken signal, fairing, ect ect. The point of this thread I guess is just to remember to be safe, be seen, and keep your eyes wide open. The crash could have been avoided had he not been pushing past his personal limits. As far as I'm concerned us bikers are all brothers so I just thought I would share this story. Ride safe everyone!

·
Registered
999 Posts
That really sucks. I'm glad he's relatively OK. Skin graphs can be mighty expensive. I wish him a speedy recovery.

I hope he takes from this a new perspective on riding gear and gets back up on the saddle again.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Thats to bad. Hate to hear stories like that. But it could have been worse and hopefulley he learned something from this experence. I try to wear my protective gear but sometimes its just terribly hot and I cheat a little.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. The only permanent damage I think will be his ego...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Some years ago I was riding a coastal backroad and came to 4 way intersection. A fellow riding a big 'ole Katana arrived at the same time I did. I gave him right of way and watched him execute a beautiful left turn - right over that gravel patch in the middle of such intersections, where all the gravel kicked up from every car and bike lands and accumulates - and that Katana went down so fast it was amazing. Rider was OK but couldn't pick up the bike. I had to help him. Bike was rideable but he was stuck going home in 1st because it wouldn't shift anymore. That experience is one reason I'm looking at a CBR - never ride a bike you can't pick up yourself if you drop it. That incident was fresh in my memory some weeks later when I was going down Mt. Hamilton into San Jose - miles of hairpins with those gravel patches in the middle of each one.
Be careful out there.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's a shame. It seems like so many cycle accidents could have been avoided if the rider was more serious about safety. I don't armor up 100% but I never go out without a helmet and riding jacket - even on days like today when the heat index is 111 degrees. (yes, it sucked in traffic)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a shame. It seems like so many cycle accidents could have been avoided if the rider was more serious about safety. I don't armor up 100% but I never go out without a helmet and riding jacket - even on days like today when the heat index is 111 degrees. (yes, it sucked in traffic)
I hear ya. I live in western NY and it was 98 degrees last week (that's hot for us yanks) but I still wore my jeans, boots, gloves, armored jacket, and full face helmet. I'd rather sweat than bleed ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I hear ya. I live in western NY and it was 98 degrees last week (that's hot for us yanks) but I still wore my jeans, boots, gloves, armored jacket, and full face helmet. I'd rather sweat than bleed ;)
Amen brotha :)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Good to hear another squid learning a valuable lesson.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I always wear my full face and gloves, some days though...that jacket is just too **** much with the heat index over 100. I figure my head is the most important thing.

It's funny though, not trying to bad mouth certain riders or anything, but all the chopper/cruiser guys around here, 90% of the time don't have a a helmet. But every time I see a guy on a sport bike 95% of the time they do have a helmet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
though its not a good thing to happen, i do like hearing about these accidents because it makes me even more cautious out on the road then i already am! also if we are getting a bit lazy in donning all of our protective gear lately, nothing like one of these stories to make us start putting it all on again! :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to hear another squid learning a valuable lesson.
Excuse me??? So it's good a fellow biker went down??? Your the squid for even disrespecting other bikers, not to mention bringing shame to yourself.
I have seen dudes that have been riding 10 days to 10 years go down. Get off this thread tool!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Excuse me??? So it's good a fellow biker went down??? Your the squid for even disrespecting other bikers, not to mention bringing shame to yourself.
I have seen dudes that have been riding 10 days to 10 years go down. Get off this thread tool!
LOL ..You had me at 'T shirt' , No need to get abusive.

No fellow biker of mine dude... and no disrespect so grab a can of HTFU... motorcyles are dangerous.. you may be maimed or killed at any time.
get used to it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I always wear jacket, gloves and helmet with Jeans and riding boots (sometimes riding pants). I always get comments from people saying things like "Boy, I bet you are hot in that jacket..." and "I don't know how you wear that jacket in this heat",, etc. I finally started telling them, "It only has to save you once to make it worth any ammount of sweating I do" and that usually shuts them up. The jacket is well ventilated anyways so I rarely sweat unless in stopped traffic... But that being said I am glad to see this thread, it may help remind people that you are always taking a risk when you throw that leg over the saddle...

·
745 Posts
gear is a personal choice - perhaps this rider has changed his mind about the amount he needs, but maybe not. I admit that the string of 100-degree days we've had here in NC makes it a little harder to pull the overpants off the hanger.

Glad he got out with only road rash!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Ive broken far to many bones on motorcycles to do any different.. & limit the body damage.
And gear does not have to be hot, even in warmer climates.

After that Mongoose outburst I had to read back and check the T shirt twistie rider is still alive, or not in a wheelchair... which he wasnt.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yeah, Aufitt. What are you doing around here? Squidly didlies have graduated from the MSF course. They know all the mantras. They are real bullet proof biker bro's in their Butt Naked Kevlar Textile Leathers.

Geezers like me, and maybe you, started motorcycling before full face helmets were invented. I got my full motorcycle licence after a 250 yard practical test, within a month after my 15th birthday without having any education other than reading the road code and 4 or 5 years at the School of Hard Knocks on the farm; a real hick.

Then when I first came to Thailand, years ago, the policeman didn't know how to do administer a test, so he asked me for some money and then gave me a driving licence.

We know nothing. We are likely to bite the dust any time. Show some respect to properly educated sweet young things.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just thought I'd mention that yesterday in the Toronto area an off-duty police officer was killed riding his motorcycle. The news said the officer collided with a Garbage truck and the bike burst into flames. At the time they were still investigating the accident so the cause (and who was at fault) was still to be determined. Also no mention of what kind of gear he was riding.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts