Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If the cfr is priced the same as the cbr, then I'm in. My 96 xr250 is like a jack hammer compared to the cbr250r motor. I think this cfr must enjoy the same smooth, tractable power. I hope the gearing and/or sprockets make it more usable off road, at least more grunt in first.

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Maybe the bike the CBR250R really wants to be. Provided it still has a decent sized fuel tank (say 3 US gallons /10 - 11 litres) it could be the way to go for me when I get back home to Godzone next year.

The frame looks similar to that of the CBR150R.

I wonder how much weight will be lost compared to the lardy CBR250R? I see they are speculating about 265 pounds (121 kg) that's a whopping 100 pound /40 kg reduction..... 25% lighter!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 230 motard was just too small for me. I'll have to see about this one. 25% lighter would certainly be in the plus column. I expect everything will be just good enough and the price will be half as much as a KTM as well.

I'm kind of excited about the Beverly 350, supposed to be coming next summer. It makes 33+ hp, and gets the mileage of the 300, a bit less than the cbr250r. I'm too cheap to buy something like that new though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've read some articles on the much discussed (soon to be released?) KTM 350 Duke that suggest KTM plans to use the engine from the 350 Freeride. Unfortunately, from the available information I have gathered, it appears that the Freeride will sport a detuned.....24 hp.....engine. If this is true - I hope this engine doesn't appear in the 350 Duke. I feel a 350 Duke carrying < 300 lbs and producing 30-35 would be infinitely more desirable.

Mike

·
Registered
427 Posts
If this is true - I hope this engine doesn't appear in the 350 Duke. I feel a 350 Duke carrying < 300 lbs and producing 30-35 would be infinitely more desirable.
The Freeride is on my shortlist of possible IF it comes in with the 33hp and weight as advertised. If not, I'll scribble it out. I've been eyeballing 300EXC's lately...

I'm happy with the CBR, but a dual purpose would make much more sense in this area. I had them for years and years and really love exploring all the gravel/fire roads around here. That leaves the CBR-Dualie, the Freeride, the WR and the Kawi KL. The WR is a nice bike but WAY to expensive to justify. The Kawi is a known quantity but down on HP. We'll have to see what the new model year brings...

I'm also looking at replacing my FJR at the end of next season (Should be well over 100,000 miles by then). I'll be looking for a good price on a low mileage one (same year), or a Triumph 800XC.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Ktm probably costs more than the WR, and makes the cfr seem cheap. I bet the riders in that video could make the CFR250r look like a KTM!

A bike like the Freeride doesn't need more than 24hp, what are you really going to be doing on it? Riding over rocks and up tree trunks probably doesn't need a lot of horsepower.

The 350 Duke with 33hp could definitely heat up the small bike segment. But what it costs and when it gets here is yet to be seen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts