Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CRF250L now available in Thailand

I saw a CRF250L in a shop for the first time today. It must have just arrived as it still had a bit of protective plastic film on it, and no price.

It looks its lardy 141 kg, and a bit strange with dirt bike tyres, suspension and seat, but a bulging silencer, frame and engine in between. The tank is too small at 7 litres (as I recall). There are some pegs at the back that would provide anchoring points for bungie cords, or a carrier.

All in all it looked more the kind of toy that you would play in the dirt on for a bit, rather than a bike to load up to go camping and exploring byways and back country tracks on.

I would say the CBR250R that it shares its engine with would be a much better commuter, something a lot of other small dual sports do quite well.

Interestingly the CB250RS was developed around a motor that was used in a trail bike, the XL250S, and it worked quite well. I certainly liked the one I owned for about five years. This time the donor motor is from a road bike. It remains to be seen how it works. The proof comes with the riding, and it will be interesting to see how people find it in use, and what they land up doing with it.

My first impression is not all that positive. I reckon the CRF250L won't be making my short-list for when I return to NZ later this year. Right now the very practical XR125 (carrier, 12 litre tank) and the prettier CBR250R (better if long journeys on main roads are involved) look to be better prospects.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Its a good bike for Indian roads. We have a motorcycle called an Impulse here launched by Hero Motocorp (earlier called Hero Honda). Its a clone of the NXR Bros 150 but with the lame-st 150cc engine you could ever find. But its got great suspension considering that the city roads here are in a mess and with the monsoons approaching- its a good bet. Am sure its going to be a hit with the tourers too considering everyone wants to go to Leh. The only limitation will be the fuel tank capacity- but then people down here are very good with fabrication. The CBR engine is a pretty proved engine, just need to see how it does on an off-roader. In a detuned state, it should be having a much better low-end grunt in comparison.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
price is 160000 baht. I guess the quality is better than its siter
Wow, way too much; more than the Kawasaki KLX250. Still some one who wants a toy that looks the part might be prepared to pay. To me it looks the two wheeled equivalent of an SUV.

Better quality? I dunno; the CBR250R looks to be of adequate quality for what it is.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The CBR250R is a much better deal unless you really ride trails often. How much was the CRF230 that the new water cooled 250 is replacing?
The CRF230 was never available here in Thailand as far as I know, but being imported would have cost a pretty penny if one did make it to a showroom.

It is a few years since trail bikes of any description were widely available in Thailand. Back in the '80s the Yamaha DT125 was reasonably common, but not much else since.

The whole quarter litre thing is new ground for Honda's Thai subsidiary. For years the mainstay has been sub 125 step-thrus, with the odd sporty 125 or 150. For quite a while Honda produced a 200cc Harley wannabe, which found favour where there are concentrations of foreigners living.

I'm picking that the 230 is a much better trail bike than the 250 and more useful as a commuter to boot.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I personally wouldnt buy it either. Honestly its not practical for the price. If i paid that much id just go ahead and fork over a lil extra for a ktm dual purpose.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
More expensive front fork.
More expensive fork, rear suspension, wheel assembles, frame, seat etc.
To compare this bike with the CBR is like saying apples grow on the same trees as oranges. Aside from the motor, and the Honda name, these two bikes have nothing in common. Even the 2009 CRF230 with its low tech, old school engine, has a MSRP $4999.00 USD. Why? More expensive parts. I'll guess that the CRF250, when released in the US will have an MSRP in the $6000.00 ball park... almost as much as a 2012 Honda XR650L (MSRP $6690.00).

As I said, the difference in price has nothing to do with the motors, and every thing to do with the chassis and every part bolted to it. When Honda releases the parts list/parts pricing for the CRF250 you will be shocked at what just one of those inverted fork assembles cost. A spoked wheel, laced up with hub can cost $500.00 to $600.00 USD.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I saw a CRF250L in a shop for the first time today. It must have just arrived as it still had a bit of protective plastic film on it, and no price.

It looks its lardy 141 kg, and a bit strange with dirt bike tyres, suspension and seat, but a bulging silencer, frame and engine in between. The tank is too small at 7 litres (as I recall). There are some pegs at the back that would provide anchoring points for bungie cords, or a carrier.

All in all it looked more the kind of toy that you would play in the dirt on for a bit, rather than a bike to load up to go camping and exploring byways and back country tracks on.

I would say the CBR250R that it shares its engine with would be a much better commuter, something a lot of other small dual sports do quite well.

Interestingly the CB250RS was developed around a motor that was used in a trail bike, the XL250S, and it worked quite well. I certainly liked the one I owned for about five years. This time the donor motor is from a road bike. It remains to be seen how it works. The proof comes with the riding, and it will be interesting to see how people find it in use, and what they land up doing with it.

My first impression is not all that positive. I reckon the CRF250L won't be making my short-list for when I return to NZ later this year. Right now the very practical XR125 (carrier, 12 litre tank) and the prettier CBR250R (better if long journeys on main roads are involved) look to be better prospects.
Wow... you've a lot of strong opinions about a bike that you have not ridden, and dare I say, know nothing about. Without picking apart your post line by line, I'll just say that the CRF250L will transport its rider to places off road that a CBR250R will NEVER go. That is unless the CBR's operator is a complete and total idiot. Michael, I'll say this as politely as I can without sugar coating it... Don't post about things that you know nothing about, your just putting out misinformation, which is not helpful to anyone. The internet is full to the brim with useless misinformation.

That's all...

MotoMike

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
At least Michael has seen the piglet, and has dual sport riding experience.

Having taken a much older version ('89NX250) from dirt to main street bike (and replaced it ultimately with a CRF230L for dirt riding), I suspect that Michael's comments about the CRF250L are pretty close to dead on. I like the ergonomics of a dual sport better than those of a sport bike, so I'll be interested in comparing the CRF250L to the NC700X when the time comes that I cannot or will not try to repair the NX250 (parts are starting to become a bit hard to come by, and hence, a tad expensive).

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
At least Michael has seen the piglet, and has dual sport riding experience.

Having taken a much older version ('89NX250) from dirt to main street bike (and replaced it ultimately with a CRF230L for dirt riding), I suspect that Michael's comments about the CRF250L are pretty close to dead on. I like the ergonomics of a dual sport better than those of a sport bike, so I'll be interested in comparing the CRF250L to the NC700X when the time comes that I cannot or will not try to repair the NX250 (parts are starting to become a bit hard to come by, and hence, a tad expensive).
A comparison between the CRF250L and a NC700X? You are joking, right? Let's compare a 1993 CT70 to a 2000 XR200R, or a 1989 NX250 to a 2001 XR400R while we are at it. Makes about as much sense don't you think? Apples and oranges grow on trees, so they must be nearly the same thing. A better comparison would be the XR650L and the NC700X, but after having ridden 18,000 miles on my '94 XR650L (75% Off Road) it is far more oriented towards off road than pavement. That's just the way the bike was designed. How many Baja 1000 titles has Honda won with their XR600R's and XR650R's? (yeah I know, it's the CRF450X & R cleaning the competition's clocks these days) I'll wager that they've never seen a big Honda 4 stroke thumper in Thailand, let alone put in seat time on one of those bad boys. Old school American Honda Off Road Racing machines, developed, tested, and proven in the deserts of the southwestern United States.

Michael's comments... close to dead on? Because he got a glimpse of the bike in the dealers shop, partially covered in plastic? Give me a freaking break... unless someone has put their a** on the seat and ACTUALLY ridden the bike, what can that person tell you about that bike, that you can't find out for yourself with a few mouse clicks. To say that the bike looks like a "toy" with dirt tires, just tells me how very little he knows about motorcycles. Anyone who knows anything about current off road chassis design and suspension technology, can plainly see that the CRF250L has the "goods" top to bottom. This is why it will not be cheap. The CRF250L will be close to $6000.00 in the US. It is not intended to be a third world bike. If you want cheap, go buy one of those China knock off bike that they pass off as motorcycles.

I've ridden Honda Off Road and Dual Sport bikes for the past 25 years, and other brands before that, and I've learned a few things along the way. Sorry, but my B*ll Sh*t meter pegs whenever I read one of Michael's posts. What I don't understand is how anyone could believe anything he says. Don't be Sheeple, drinking his kool-aid. It WILL turn your brain to mush.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts