Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Took the bike out for the first time and it was awesome.
I was however concerned with my shifting, cruising rpm, etc...

1. Accelerating from 1st gear
I play with the throttle a bit and release the clutch. I try to maintain a low RPM so the transition is smooth. What RPM do you throttle at? I think im doing around 3-4k

2. 60kph/45mph cruising
I try staying in 4th gear because it makes im not over working the engine (4500rpm). Should i be cruising at a lower gear and higher RPM?

3. At what RPM do you switch gears? Ex. from 2 to 3rd gear.

Thanks!
Andy

·
1,305 Posts
Hey everyone!

Took the bike out for the first time and it was awesome.
I was however concerned with my shifting, cruising rpm, etc...

1. Accelerating from 1st gear
I play with the throttle a bit and release the clutch. I try to maintain a low RPM so the transition is smooth. What RPM do you throttle at? I think im doing around 3-4k

2. 60kph/45mph cruising
I try staying in 4th gear because it makes im not over working the engine (4500rpm). Should i be cruising at a lower gear and higher RPM?

3. At what RPM do you switch gears? Ex. from 2 to 3rd gear.

Thanks!
Andy

Andy,

i find i change up a gear once the RPM needle point the way i'm facing....

can't tell you what number that is...as my face is looking up ahead..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that helps alot.
ive been shifting a bit too low. Probably because thats what im used to doing with my car.

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
426 Posts
for me shifting is in the range of 6k to 9k on average.
Cruising rpm i try to stay around 6-7k. So on the hwy in 6th gear
i am doing about 115kph indicated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
6-7k shifting in cruising. When I feel racey, I would shift at 7-8k. You can even follow the manual's recommended shifting points too and its still good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
First off, takes 3k miles for the bike to break in. Just bear with it, it won't seem real happy no matter what you do. But you are correct to keep cruise at 4500 rpm during that time.

Once broken in, cruise at 4000 rpm is fine, but don't go wot to accelerate. As for shift rpm, the bike is smoothest and happiest having the living crap beat out of it. Shift just below fuel cut of and do it fast.

That is exactly what it was designed for and the bike will love you for it. Under no circumstances baby it and come back on the forum complaining of some little rattle you can't quite conjure the meaning thereof...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I cruise at about 4.5k-5k so it pulls when I turn the throttle. This bike has a huge jump in power between 5k and 6k RPM's. If I'm trying to pass someone or just feel like having fun I'll shift around 9k, otherwise around 6.5k or 7k when cruising around leisurely. If I'm on a road with long gradual hills I'll cruise at 6k-6.5k or so. Nothing is worse than 6th gear on a 55mph road with big hills.

To be honest, you'll find yourself running through all the range on all the gears with this bike. I hit over 7k RPM's in 6th gear on the highway around here all the time since we have high speed limits. 7.5k if I'm riding 2-up, with 8.5k RPM passing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The census seems to agree. cruising and shifting between 4.5k - 6.5k rpms until the bikes first service. At least thats what the dealer's mechanic told me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I cruise at about 4.5k-5k so it pulls when I turn the throttle. This bike has a huge jump in power between 5k and 6k RPM's. If I'm trying to pass someone or just feel like having fun I'll shift around 9k, otherwise around 6.5k or 7k when cruising around leisurely.
So 4.5k-5k in city cruising on the lower gears(2-4) but about 6.5k-7k in like the highway at higher gears(5-6)? Im just trying to get things clear.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I cruise at 5.5k and shift before 7k. I use to do it higher (by accident since I was still new to biking) but at this range now it seems the bikes more comfortable and not screaming.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It's all your own prerogative.

Shifting at high RPMS will waste gas. Shifting too early will lug things. I find I just let the situation around me dictate my shift points. There's no real right or wrong here.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think the ranges people have provided are all good. You don't want to beat it to death during the break in period, but you never want to lug the engine by being in too high a gear for the RPM either.

Vary your speed and RPM for the first few hundred miles and shift when it feels good, downshift when you are slowing down so you are always in the correct range to accelerate when needed.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
So 4.5k-5k in city cruising on the lower gears(2-4) but about 6.5k-7k in like the highway at higher gears(5-6)? Im just trying to get things clear.
There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's. Cruising at higher RPM's in top gear is incidental due to it being necessitated by higher speed. It's good engineering as well since the engine has to overcome it being a really tall gear and all the wind resistance. If you've driven a 5-speed car or truck, you'll see the same pattern. The CBR250R has enough power and gearing to do interstate speed with a little HP left over to pass, and that's it. Don't be afraid of winding out the gears out, you're not gonna hurt anything.

·
Registered
501 Posts
After break in. I dont really pay any mind to the rpms. Just the sound of the bike. I,m in 6th gear most of the time in a few seconds for cruising. We mostly have 35 & 45mph straights around here. Lower gears i use in 25mph sections. Works best to save gas for me. Agressive riding i use higher rpms and lower gears.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Personally I just shift when it feels/sounds right. I'll glance down occasionally but I don't really take note of the RPM, just checking speed and fuel. If you shift too soon and it lugs, it's easy enough to go back down, and you'll learn based on the sound.

As long as you're not lugging, and not diving into the red and staying there, you're fine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is how I ride most of the time...
15(09)-38(23) Kmph - shift to 2nd
38(23)-52(32) Kmph - shift to 3rd
52(32)-65(40) Kmph - shift to 4th
65(40)-71(44) Kmph - shift to 5th
71(44)-80(50) Kmph - shift to 6th

Sometimes I ride to redline

1 - 20 of 51 Posts