Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Obviosly new here and plan on a proper intro but first I must vent.

I bought my CBR about two weeks ago and I'm loving every minute. Last week I was in and bought my wife and I a couple new helmets and grabbed some oil and a filter, grabbed the first HP4 oil I saw, turns out it was 10w-40. No big deal took it in for exchange today only to have two techs and a salesmen tell me that that's what I should be running despite the owners manual stating 10w-30. They insisted Honda doesn't make a standerd 10w-30 only a synthetic, even though I could clearly see it on the shelf, and that they had filled the bike with 10w-40 not the specified 10w-30. They all agreed and tried to convince me it was best and that silly old Honda couldn't possibly know what was best for thier engines. REALLY thier obvious extencive years of knolledge far outways the mass of expencive research and development that Honda has done?!?! Would this void my warranty or adversly effect my break-in

Sorry for the rant but needless to say I'm a little upset and considering contacting Honda and informing them that one of their dealers is not following instruction very well. Anybody take on this is welcome

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hotter climate=thicker oil 10w-40
cooler climate=thinner oil 10w-30
the first number is the weight of the oil when the motor is cold, the second number is the weight of the oil when the motor heats up, hope this helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's not going to void the warranty. A few year back Honda issued a bulletin to all there dealers to switch to 10w-30, this was in an attempt, supposedly, purely for increased fuel economy. Within a year, they withdrew this recommendation(partially because they were having a hard time supplying their branded 10w-30, other was some bikes started having issues with it in hot weather). Many dealers do not even stock the 10w-30.

I've always just used the HP4 10w-40 in all my honda machines. My bikes all have a recommended 8K oil change interval, but I change it more frequently, usually between 3 and 4K. These things run hot, heat is oils enemy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According the manual I have which is the Thai version 10w -30 or 10w-40 are acceptable.

while this is of some conselation the american manuel specifies 10w-30 and its beyond me as to why a dealer would ignore that

Hotter climate=thicker oil 10w-40
cooler climate=thinner oil 10w-30
the first number is the weight of the oil when the motor is cold, the second number is the weight of the oil when the motor heats up, hope this helps.
It's not going to void the warranty. A few year back Honda issued a bulletin to all there dealers to switch to 10w-30, this was in an attempt, supposedly, purely for increased fuel economy. Within a year, they withdrew this recommendation(partially because they were having a hard time supplying their branded 10w-30, other was some bikes started having issues with it in hot weather). Many dealers do not even stock the 10w-30.

I've always just used the HP4 10w-40 in all my honda machines. My bikes all have a recommended 8K oil change interval, but I change it more frequently, usually between 3 and 4K. These things run hot, heat is oils enemy.

Im aware of what oil viscosities mean and you both seem to be thinking along the lines of the techs at the dealer. Im not saying that either of you are wrong in your decision to run 10w-40. However i dont see why honda would have to release a service bulletin telling dealers to use an oil which is already recomended. the theory of different temp different oil just wont die.This was born back in the 30s, 40s and 50s when only single weight oils were avaliable and people changed weights in the winter. So with 10w-30 and 10w-40 the 10 is our cold start weight and the 30 and 40 is our running temp weight. Regardless of ambient temp our water cooled bikes internal temps all run fairly consistent. So why run differnt weights of oil for differnt ambient temps if the internal temp is always running the same?

Im not saying that anyone is making the wrong decision running whatever oil they feel is best. I just cant grasp why a dealer would ignore factory recomendations it just seems ignorant. besides this engine is a totally new design how can anyone possibly have enough experience with it to say whats best and not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The engine being a new design not with standing. It still produces heat. Heat breaks oil down. I've drained 10w-40 out of a warn motorcycle engine and its running out like water, much thinner then 10w-40 out of a warm engine in my truck. The engines are so small, with such small cooling capacities, they heat up fast and are slow to cool.

I've got a half dozen motorcycle owners manuals/Shop manuals with addendums sent after bike purchases or included with a bike or manual to correct pre printed manuals. One of which specifically added the use of 10w-40, that was omitted to the original owners manual that only mentioned 10w-30.

If you have access to 10w-30 and want to go by the manual, use it.

Typically, I've always used 10w-30 in my trucks, 10w-40 in my motor cycles. That's just me, its always worked, no need for me to change now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As far as internal temps always running the same, my VFR and my RR register 10-15 degrees cooler in the cold winter months while riding as opposed to the hot summer months. This is while running down the highway, not cruising around town. So perhaps that is why a manual might say a lighter oil for cooler weather. I've just not been one to keep two kinds of oils on hand. I buy HP4 10w-40 by the gallon, I have two off road bikes, two atvs, and 3 street bikes. Just keeps things simpler for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's all fine and you very well may be correct but either way its not a decision the dealer should he making. and that's all I was really trying to say

sorry I'm done bitching now :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Im aware of what oil viscosities mean and you both seem to be thinking along the lines of the techs at the dealer. Im not saying that either of you are wrong in your decision to run 10w-40. However i dont see why honda would have to release a service bulletin telling dealers to use an oil which is already recomended. the theory of different temp different oil just wont die.This was born back in the 30s, 40s and 50s when only single weight oils were avaliable and people changed weights in the winter. So with 10w-30 and 10w-40 the 10 is our cold start weight and the 30 and 40 is our running temp weight. Regardless of ambient temp our water cooled bikes internal temps all run fairly consistent. So why run differnt weights of oil for differnt ambient temps if the internal temp is always running the same?
Oil weight while warmed up isn't the issue. It's the cold weight that is the problem. It's mainly for winter months in cars though. On a cold winter morning if you have 10w30 in a car when it normally has 5w30, it will have a very slow crank and the oil pressure will not be correct till the motor warms up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil weight while warmed up isn't the issue. It's the cold weight that is the problem. It's mainly for winter months in cars though. On a cold winter morning if you have 10w30 in a car when it normally has 5w30, it will have a very slow crank and the oil pressure will not be correct till the motor warms up.

seeing as how where comparing two 10 weights here the weight when warmed up is the issue. its actually the only reason i started this thread, making it the only issue

iv talked to a mobil 1 rep and a few others as well and they have all agreed that changing weight in the winter is not neccasry. multi weight oils were made specifcally for that reason. choose a weight and go with it.

i run mobil 1 5w-30 in my car year round and its always within spec.

i wasnt trying to start some heated battle over oil weights and which of what is best mearly pointing out the fact that the techs at the dealer are total **** heads in my opinion for ignoring factory specifacations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Look up oil viscosity table and you will see you dont need to always run 10w30 ... Wish people would leave changing the oil to people that know what they are doing...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Look up oil viscosity table and you will see you dont need to always run 10w30 ... Wish people would leave changing the oil to people that know what they are doing...
like an ASE certified mechanic would they per chance know what their doing? half the reason I and I'm guessing quit a few poeple bought this bike is the name Honda. I don't care what some independent group or person or whatever your refering to posted on the internet. unless it's directly from Honda and pertaining to the CBR250R I ,personally, could give a rats ass less. I trust Honda and thier YEARS of experience and MILLIONS spent on the research and development that allows thier engines to run hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of miles. so if Honda wants 10w-30 in thier engines then that's what's going in MY bike

again I was not trying to start this argument, there will always be an opposing view, simply point out the fault of a dealership in not following the people who I trust, that being Honda, specific instructions

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think your being nit picky here, but I also think you have a 100% valid point and support your statement.

The dealer should use Honda's recommended procedures regardless if something else works.

If the dealer went in and put a 3rd party light bulb or windscreen or oil filter that was the same "spec" as and OEM honda, im sure people would be upset.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think your being nit picky here, but I also think you have a 100% valid point and support your statement.

The dealer should use Honda's recommended procedures regardless if something else works.

If the dealer went in and put a 3rd party light bulb or windscreen or oil filter that was the same "spec" as and OEM honda, im sure people would be upset.
nit picky... most definately... I don't understand why someone wouldn't be on a purchase like this. sure it's not a house or a new car but it's a good chunk of change. I demand excellance from my vehicles so I choose Honda but I obviously chose the wrong people to buy it form.

I'm just that way :rolleyes:

I tend to ramble on as well :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts