Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search the forums and Google regarding this but can't find anything on it.

I have been reading around about Dealership levels (e.g., Powerhouse level, gold level, number levels, etc.).

What do these levels mean? How does one find out the level of each dealership?

Or am I making up this dealership level stuff?

·
745 Posts
No, you're not making it up, although it is not a subject the dealers like to talk about much. I'll throw in what i do know, which isn't a lot.

Honda, like every other manufactuer, wants the dealers to move their product. As a result, the dealers that move the most product get preferential treatment, even though there may not always be written guidelines. Example: You're a Honda distributor with 50 dealerships and, say, 20 CBR250's. Every dealer wants at least two, which is 80 more than you have. Dealer (A) sold 600 Hondas last year and Dealer (B) sold 120: who would you send the bikes to?

In addition, the manufactuers prefer dealers that don't sell competing product. For instance, a dealer selling Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki gets less attention than a pure Honda dealer.

This doesn't necessarily get you a better deal - the dealer may get the product cheaper than some of the other dealers, but you can bet he's not going to brag about that to you (although he may wax eloquently about their "Power" status).

I know it runs against conventional wisdom, but I shop for a dealer via riders: How do they get treated after the sale? Fact is, a dealer can make or break your passion for riding - if you dread going there for service or talking to anyone, then you're not going to enjoy your bike as much as you would otherwise.

For example, I had a problem after my 600m checkup - a new fitting on the fuel return line was not attached correctly by the mechanic, and I was almost home when it let go. The dealer immediately put a mechanic on the road to pick up my bike, and offered to take me home and deliver the bike to my home, 40 miles from the dealership. The owner of the dealership personally apologized to me and gave me a gas card for the trouble.

I'm not telling you to not check prices - but remember that if you and the dealer come out of the store hating each other's guts, the "bargin" you got may turn out to be more meager than you might think.

as always, an opinion...

Luke

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Web site

Is there a way to tell which of my local dealers is at which level?
The Honda web site has a search function to find dealers near you. You can also select to search for only Powerhouse dealers which are the ones that achieved level 4 or 5 by building new, stand alone dealerships (no other makes in the store) and stocking them with the full line of bikes and equipment as Honda dictates. They are rewarded for their commitment. These are the dealers getting all of the CBR250Rs. My local level 3 dealer has had 10 on order since winter but has yet to receive their first one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the information, Sendler!

Turns out the closest dealer to my house is a Powerhouse dealer. And, I just so happen to be going to the Honda car dealership (same owner) next door tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Thanks for the information, Sendler!

Turns out the closest dealer to my house is a Powerhouse dealer. And, I just so happen to be going to the Honda car dealership (same owner) next door tomorrow morning.
Good luck with that..my local dealer is a powerhouse level 4 and i payed for my red CBR in mid May (I am still waiting for it to ship!!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Luke.

I didn't know there was was a Powerhouse search on the Honda site. Unfortunately, my closest Powerhouse is almost 100 miles away.

·
Registered
278 Posts
For example, I had a problem after my 600m checkup - a new fitting on the fuel return line was not attached correctly by the mechanic, and I was almost home when it let go. The dealer immediately put a mechanic on the road to pick up my bike, and offered to take me home and deliver the bike to my home, 40 miles from the dealership. The owner of the dealership personally apologized to me and gave me a gas card for the trouble.

I'm not telling you to not check prices - but remember that if you and the dealer come out of the store hating each other's guts, the "bargin" you got may turn out to be more meager than you might think.

as always, an opinion...

Luke
Yep, that is a dealer worth supporting.

My local dealer is (almost) like what you describe. Because they sell Yamaha in addition to Honda they are low on the Honda totem pole. I had to wait a month for my 250 while the powerhouse dealer 60 miles away had them before I even ordered mine from my dealer. It was worth the wait to support my local dealer and the service they provide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts