Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

Been lurking here for a bit, reading up and learnin' myself as much as I can and such when not daily riding. Loving the bike so far. My prior bike was a SYM scooter which didn't need much in the way of maintenance and didn't have much to mod, so . . . consider me a noob to moto maintenance to some extent.

I got my CBR in . . . hmmm . . . June I think? Something like that anyway. It's now Sept. and I've noticed a fair amount of rust on the heat shield and what appears to be starting in on the chain (pics below). So, is that normal? And what's the best way to clean this stuff up? I see "do use WD-40", "don't use it". Again, I'm a noob, but am determined to learn/take good care of this bike, so . . . good pointers would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Oh that chain is disgustingly dry, to the point its rusty... not good!

Chainlube every 2 tanks of fuel or so... it should always look 'Wet'

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Chain:

Needs to be cleaned and lubed, say every 500km if you can. It's actually very quick and easy if you get a rear stand.

Raise the rear wheel off the ground with rear stand.
Start the bike and put it into first.
With one hand on the clutch and one hand cleaning the chain, spray it with a cleaner as it goes around. (I use WD-40 as a cleaner, some people say don't, but I do, only as a cleaner, not as a lube).

Letting out the clutch again hold onto the chain with a rag or old t-shirt, get your fingers into the chain rollers. Do it for a minute or so and get the wd-40 off it too.

Repeat again but with spray-on lube.

Takes 5 minutes and make a lot of difference to how it will ride/feel.

The Exhaust Cover:

I, and many others painted it. It's very easy, I had never painted anything in my life but it was so easy to do, and looked so great the second thing I ever painted was my rims. :)

I'd search the forum for a few threads on painting the exhaust cover.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Sorry Redline but chains do not need to be cleaned... even Enduro bikes dont.

Just lube it with quality chainlube.

And fingers do not need to be taken off by a running motor. crikey!

Lean bike over on stand.. spray chain 2 complete revolutions. done.

·
Registered
319 Posts
never ever ever ever ever lube your chain by driving it with the motor ever!

Many people have lost fingers

serious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clean it with keys out, in neutral spinning the wheel with your hand!

·
Registered
95 Posts
never ever ever ever ever lube your chain by driving it with the motor ever!

Many people have lost fingers

serious!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clean it with keys out, in neutral spinning the wheel with your hand!
I second this! Never never! Start bike and use throttle to turn wheel. Get rear stand and rotate tire with hand as u lube! Search YouTube... There are some nice videos on how to maintenance the chain on motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Chain:

Needs to be cleaned and lubed, say every 500km if you can. It's actually very quick and easy if you get a rear stand.

Raise the rear wheel off the ground with rear stand.
Start the bike and put it into first.
With one hand on the clutch and one hand cleaning the chain, spray it with a cleaner as it goes around. (I use WD-40 as a cleaner, some people say don't, but I do, only as a cleaner, not as a lube).

Letting out the clutch again hold onto the chain with a rag or old t-shirt, get your fingers into the chain rollers. Do it for a minute or so and get the wd-40 off it too.

Repeat again but with spray-on lube.

Takes 5 minutes and make a lot of difference to how it will ride/feel.
I always suspected it, but now I know for sure.

Despite you being one of the first to own a CBR250R, your mega posting on at least a couple of forums, and boasting of mega milage pinned at 150km/hr (which any idiot can do on long straight, almost empty sealed roads), you really are just a squid who knows Jack.

Even an apprentice's assistant with a modicum of common sense would not do what you suggest.

Off ya'll go boy; fetch the blue extension for a left handed screwdriver from SKD. Find some w-deep-cleaner for a chain while you are about it.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I love the stupid shyte on this forum on bike maintenance and riding :)

There is no other bike forum on the web like it lol.... keep up the good work!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, now I'm shamed (though appreciate it!).

So after I put my fingers in the sprocket and start 'er up . . . any recos on chain lube?

(oh, and thoughts on the heat shield?)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again all. I magically discovered a new moto shop on my way to work this morning and they set me right.

Will look into the painting of the heatshield as well, it's been my only real complaint with the bike (kinda ugly!)

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Thanks all, now I'm shamed (though appreciate it!).

So after I put my fingers in the sprocket and start 'er up . . . any recos on chain lube?

(oh, and thoughts on the heat shield?)
Other's probably get their mothers to paint it, in case they chip a nail. :D

Have to say it's the first report I've seen of that piece rusting, I've seen a few of the actual exhaust rust (mine for example) but not that. I'd say the best option is to either buy a new one, it's probably going to be very cheap, and maybe coat it with clear lacquer before you put it on, or just sand it down and paint it yourself. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I was surprised it rusted so quickly and thoroughly. The pic doesn't show the underside of it - which, wow. NYC is a bit humid in summer, but it's starting to look like I park it in the East River every night . . . especially since nothing else is showing rust on the bike (beyond my noob lack of care with the chain).

Ultimately I've got my eye on that M4 shorty though - again, the muffler seems a bit out of place on an otherwise stylish bike so might be modding time soon. :) Speaking of, noob question, what's involved in a slip-on for this bike? Something I could do myself or going to need welding and such?

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Very easy.

Below your rear brake pedal you'll see the section of the pipe with muffler on it is bolted onto the rest of the pipe.

All you do is undo the bolt on this, undo the bolt of the exhaust hanger (where the muffler is attached to the passenger footpeg) and it's off.

Then just bolt on the new slip-on in the same way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool, thanks man.

And does your sig link apply to this? Is a slip on considered a "pipe" and in need of ECU reset? Or that's only for a full on system?

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Some say yes, some say no, but everyone's an expert on the internet. :)

My Honda dealer and his wife both had slip-ons for over 2 months, one Remus and one Moriwaki, then after resetting the ECU they both said the difference was 'great'. I only had my full system on for 3 days before resetting it and the the difference was like night and day.

I'd say check out the slip-on for a week or three, then reset the ECU and let us know what you think. :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Ultimately I've got my eye on that M4 shorty though - again, the muffler seems a bit out of place on an otherwise stylish bike so might be modding time soon.
Out of all the mufflers i have seen..that shorty one looks the weirdest and funniest to me...like you wanted a muffler but ran out of funds before you could buy the WHOLE thing...lol..its like a Mini Me muffler.....but thats just my opinion and it's worth exactly squat to everybody else but me:) your bike...dress her up any way you want her..
I guess i am one of the few who actually like the muffler and shield and thinks it compliments the bike very well...and by the strangers ,both male and female who tell me how gorgeous the bike is at gas stations, red lights, restaurants..even while driving up the road at 50mph and hanging out the window to compliment the bike.....makes me think most of the general public agrees with me...I do wish it was a little meatier sounding tho...if I could upgrade that but leave it looking cosmetically as it is....i would

·
Registered
272 Posts
Out of all the mufflers i have seen..that shorty one looks the weirdest and funniest to me...like you wanted a muffler but ran out of funds before you could buy the WHOLE thing...lol..its like a Mini Me muffler.....but thats just my opinion and it's worth exactly squat to everybody else but me:) your bike...dress her up any way you want her..
I guess i am one of the few who actually like the muffler and shield and thinks it compliments the bike very well...and by the strangers ,both male and female who tell me how gorgeous the bike is at gas stations, red lights, restaurants..even while driving up the road at 50mph and hanging out the window to compliment the bike.....makes me think most of the general public agrees with me...I do wish it was a little meatier sounding tho...if I could upgrade that but leave it looking cosmetically as it is....i would

I agree totally.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Some say yes, some say no, but everyone's an expert on the internet. :)

My Honda dealer and his wife both had slip-ons for over 2 months, one Remus and one Moriwaki, then after resetting the ECU they both said the difference was 'great'. I only had my full system on for 3 days before resetting it and the the difference was like night and day.

I'd say check out the slip-on for a week or three, then reset the ECU and let us know what you think. :)
I still find it funny my 6th or 10th or so post on this forum was recommending to reset the computer in the event of a modification that increases engine flow. Yet it was completely ignored =(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts