Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking about trading in my 2005 Impala for a 2012 Hyundai Sonata, but after looking around I decided to get a motorcycle. And from what I've read and seen on youtube I'm going to get a Honda CBR250R when I get out of Afghanistan, but I had some questions.

I have 0 riding experience, my last two wheeled Vehicle was a bicycle when I was about 12 years old, I'm 25 and buying the bike for gas milage mostly, so obviously I'm not going to be speeding around turns, etc espically since I have no experience. I'm 5'10" and roughly 160-170 pounds. I'm mostly going to be riding it on backroads in Virginia and Highways with a 55mph speed limit, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Should I be able to pick riding up rather easilly? Should I even try it?

Also...

How much does a typical full set of gear cost? Gloves, Jackets, Pads, Helmet, etc.

Any other tips would be helpful also. Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hmm. Riding can be fairly risky. Riding in bad weather is riskier. I have two motorcycles, but only ride for fun. Have a Toyota Tacoma for routine transport. I'd get a car.

$800-$1000 for good gear.

Get the ABS if you go for the CBR250R.

Welcome back, and thank you!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So I was thinking about trading in my 2005 Impala for a 2012 Hyundai Sonata, but after looking around I decided to get a motorcycle. And from what I've read and seen on youtube I'm going to get a Honda CBR250R when I get out of Afghanistan, but I had some questions.

I have 0 riding experience, my last two wheeled Vehicle was a bicycle when I was about 12 years old, I'm 25 and buying the bike for gas milage mostly, so obviously I'm not going to be speeding around turns, etc espically since I have no experience. I'm 5'10" and roughly 160-170 pounds. I'm mostly going to be riding it on backroads in Virginia and Highways with a 55mph speed limit, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Should I be able to pick riding up rather easilly? Should I even try it?

Also...

How much does a typical full set of gear cost? Gloves, Jackets, Pads, Helmet, etc.

Any other tips would be helpful also. Thanks!
Our situations are very similar except that I am a veteran. I ride in my combat boots so that saved some money. I spent $200 total on a CBR jacket along with a Speed and Strength helmet. $50 for Rocket gloves (best IMO) and that's it. I financed the bike through Honda for $90 a month at 4.99%. I put $400 down and paid off insurance for the year ($268 total). I did attend the MSF class because with successful completion, you are issued a certificate that you simply present to the DMV and they endorse your license. That class for me was $50 but you may be able to get a deal with a course on base. Yes a bike does come with risks but so does deploying to the AOR. Now that I am out for good (medically discharged) I still seek that rush and I seem to find some of that while riding a bike. The CBR is a great starter bike and I plan on upgrading in a few years. For now, this bike is VERY cheap and GREAT on gas. I ride 60 miles per day (I'm 6' 175) in the rain and gusty conditions, and I still love this bike.

Keep your head down.

·
Registered
164 Posts
when u get back, sign up for a MSF course. You will learn the basic control and the foundamental of motocycle riding, while earning your motorcycle endorsement at the same time. That's the best way to learn.

After that,you can go get the bike. and the practice , practice, and practice some more. Start from a big empty parking lot and local street around where you live. Go out on Sunady morning when traffic is light. Eventually, mke your way out to the freeway and the twisties. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Take an MSF course for sure. I hadn't ridden anything but a bicycle and it helped a lot when I took it 2-ish years ago.

It's good that you're starting on a 250r, definitely stay with that idea.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you've got good coordination and balance, you should pick it up fairly quickly. I'd do the MSF course (here in NSW, Australia it's mandatory) as it will give you a reasonable feel for riding. I found the first few times on the bike to be very difficult and challenging (and I have a pilots license!). But it takes only two or three rides to get it. And when you do get it, it's totally worth it.

The CBR250R is great for the type of riding you'll be doing (much the same as what I do). Most of the power comes in at low/mid RPM which is certainly better suited for city riding than others.

·
Registered
426 Posts
as others have said. if you havent ridden before you should take a safety/riding course.

As for gear pricing depends really. Jaldridge lists about the average pricing and is a good starting point.

whether you want leather gear or textile makes a diff. Leather tends to be more money. They both offer up about the same protection around town. Textile usually gets wrecked after a slide while Leather usually can be worn again.

Helmet prices are all over from ~100$ (Zox or HJC to name 2) or up to $1000 for an Arai. Protection wise they about the same (if they both DOT/SNELL rated) I have found that the pricier helmets offer better quality. less noisy. better face shield optics.

·
Registered
116 Posts
as stated above, take a certified course so you dont have to take the tests at the DMV and you will get some hands on experience before actually owning a bike.

this bike is great and im sure you'll love it for commuting.

i paid 5000$ for bike, setup, helmet, gloves, jacket and dmv fees.
usually if you buy the gear at the same time as the bike they will give you discounts on the gear (i think my dealer gave me 10-15% off everything)

im 24 with 0 experience and my insurance was ~300$/year. thats a little more than 1/3 of my car insurance for a year in my 05' mitsu lancer ES with similar amounts of insurance on it.
so if youve got the cash up front id expect to put down 5500$ total your first year of riding and far less after that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I know it's been mentioned but I'll say it anyway: take the MSF class first. If possible, sign up now. They do fill up. I think mine cost $50.

I tried for a summer to learn on a Kawa Vulcan. Never got comfortable. The MSF class will teach you the correct way without you needing to unlearn dangerous habits. So...

1. take the class
2. save for good gear (helmet, jacket, etc.)
3. get a used bike

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thank you for your service and making it possible for a woman like me to have the freedom to ride my CBR250R. I'm new to motorcycling, too. Just got my MSF class and license on March 11th and my brand new 2011 Honda CBR250R with ABS in black was delivered March 16th. I've ridden 100 miles and learn something new each time I go out. I'm here in Virginia, too. The class is a MUST. It's $165.

As for gear, I spent ~$200 on GOOD boots (waterproof leather boots with steel in the toe, heel and shin), $100 for a good technical jacket with removable liner and armor where it matters including a back protector, $35 for gloves and $115 on a Scorpion EXO-700 helmet (deal). You could spend more, you could spend less, there are lots of options.

Trust your instincts and follow your heart--we only get to ride this crazy merry-go-round called life once!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts