Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Been on this forum and others for a while. Just about to jump into the purchase of my first motorbike.

I've narrowed it down to 2 Hondas. CBR250R, CB400. Both ABS.

Just want to know why you guys ended up getting the CBR250R.

Was the cost of the CB400 an issue?

I understand WA doesn't have LAMS so I get why you guys are getting the CBR250R.

I know most of the pros and cons but just want to hear you opinions.

Thanks Ausfox.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I rode both before I decided on the 250. Main reason was price and service costs from a simple motor but having a faring was the final decision. If we got the 400 with a faring here in aus I would have got the 400 for sure. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fairing

I rode both before I decided on the 250. Main reason was price and service costs from a simple motor but having a faring was the final decision. If we got the 400 with a faring here in aus I would have got the 400 for sure. Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Is the fairing that good. I wasn't considering that as an issue because it looks small. But if it works it's a plus.

Ausfox

·
Registered
282 Posts
^what he said, except for the fairing bit. personally think it looks better naked.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Fairing gets the wind above your chest so you don't feel like your going to get dragged off the bike when you get going quick.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am not Australian but I have been there. This is my reason though:

For me, I am a new rider so I didn't want to become overwhelmed but I knew I wanted something that is more sporty, sportbike feel.

I was going to get the Kawi Ninja 250 until I heard about the CBR250 that was released this year. I swear if I got my motorcycle license last year in 2010 I would be riding the Ninja, used probably. There were no used Honda CBR250s in my area that I could easily get. I only saw one. My Powersport Honda dealer was baiscally 5 min from where I work. F it bought it and had it delivered to my house before I even had a motorcycle licens. I was already schedulted to take my MSF in two weeks lol. Got my permit after the class session. When I completed my MSF, I then took her round the block.

So reason why was because it was new for Honda and affordable compared to my very first choice of a dual sport. Really my fIrst choice was a dual sport (new), then I wanted to get into sport bikes so a kawi ninja used was in my mind, then I found out about this CBR250. The rest will be in the future.

I think it was meant to be.

·
Registered
385 Posts
This isn't available in the US is it? I've never seen one here (not a new one). I might have bought one if I had. I like the styling better. The only downside I see is that it's carburated. Winters in the Santa Cruz mountains mean jumping on a bike that may not have been started in a month and may have been sitting in a 40 something degree garage. Fuel injection is nice.
For 90% of the riding I do I don't miss the hp. I'm all around mountain backroads and seldom find myself facing lots of wide more-or-less straight pavement. Parts of Highway 1, that stretch of 84 where it breaks from redwood to coastal scrub and widens out -OK then I wish I had more ponies. But not for the rest of it and not in town.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The 400 is not available in the U.S. Never even knew there was one. Would love to see a pictire of it if someone can post

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm an Aussie too - I bought the 250 because I think it's a choice zippy bike for the price and it looks great. I guess had the price been lower on the 400 I might have bought it instead, but really, I think the cost of the 400 is way inflated! I've had my 250 for about 8 months and I love it. I have no regrets at all :) Good luck with your buy dude, enjoy whatever you end up getting!

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Not a bad looking bike but, looks too much like a cruiser

·
Registered
6 Posts

Im living near sydney, NSW. My decision was influenced on the facts of, I was on my red provisional license (now greens), Never been on a roadbike (plenty of dirties), twenty years young, and already have a vast amount of debt and the old fella did not want too buy a second hand bike. I had a choice of the kawi Ninja, Honda CBR250RB, the CB400, and the suzi SV600. I was advised by friends too get the suzuki, hence on price, and all that power. Then i was suggested the ninja i thought no because of it still being carbureted, there is always ninja's on the road, the wanting price and that have been restricted ever since 91' (though easily fixed:)). Hence that left me with the CBR250R and the CB400. I figured the CB400 because of the naked bike look and more usable power. But after having a leg over her i thought this isnt the bike for me because of the feel and after looking at my mates CB400 and The Ninja together i realised i want that sporty look, Having to travel 110 k's a day too and from work, The EFI, the ABS option (which i did not do), The price and of course when me and my mates go on rides together we will be on all three bikes hence we could swap and have a turn at each when wanted.... Hence For me great and SPOT ON decision... :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cb400

That's exactly why it appeals to me. Street/Cruiser styling with the same weight as the CBR and more power. If it was fuel injected and available in the US - that would likely be my ride.
The CB400 is fuel injected and it is heavier than the CBR250R. Pity for you guys it's not in the states. The only thing I can find against it is that it is twice the price of the CBR250R. Worth it? I'm still trying to figure it out.

Ausfox.

·
Registered
68 Posts
CB400 is just too retro looking. Looks like something the Fonz would ride.

I'd have to agree with the above statement. I love the Fonz but the 400 IMO isn't as "new" looking. Looks like something I could pick up on the used market from the 80s.

This is my first year riding and my main reason for choosing the CBR250R was price, then looks, then options. Found out my wife was pregnant before the spring of 2011 so that reduced the bike shopping quite a bit. Now this is only my opinion cause I LOVE this bike already I will eventually be giving this bike to my wife and looking at a BMW F800ST for the future. It has similar styling to the Honda but can handle two up riding better with weekend gear. Nothing more important than riding with your loved one on the back around town. Other than that the bike is better suited for single rider and gear.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Welcome Ausfox, PM sent re ABS question.

As for 400/650 cc LAMS we dont have it here in the west and its a good thing, its all power to weight, so many 250's are a better option than a heavy and slow bike.

Good for resale value of 250's too.. its crazy, ppl want the same price for 3-4 yr old Ninjas and VTR's as what you can get a new cbr250 for here.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Wish it was available in the states. Like to see one up close. Love my little 250 but would also love a little more power and speed

1 - 20 of 36 Posts