Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temperature dropped to the mid 20's last nite for the first time this fall...I haven't ridden or started my bike since Wednesday...When I tried to start it this afternoon around noon, It just cranked and cranked and cranked with out wanting to fire up...I thought i was gonna wear the battery out....

maybe a good 5 minutes later it finally reluctantly turned over but lugged and died...another 20 straight seconds of starter along with wide open throttle it finally started right up and hummed like it always did...rode for 2 hours with no problems....

I did just have 2 bars on the gas tank (1+ gallon?) i have never put any additives in the gas (per the user manual) including gas saver...the garage it is in is not sealed up..in fact is well ventilated to the outside and I do not yet own a motorcycle cover so im wondering if condensation formed in the gas line and froze maybe? But both my cars are also sitting near empty and fuel injected but start right up just fine after sitting in the driveway all nite.

I did not expect the CBR to be so temperamental the very first time it dropped below freezing by a few degrees...

Any thoughts or speculations???

...I now have 5 bars on the gas gauge and to be on the safe side I put 1.5 ounces of gas saver in the tank before parking it a little bit ago ( 1 oz treats up to 2.5 gallons) I just ordered a cover off ebay to

·
Registered
795 Posts
Mine is still outside and plug to a tender under a wooden deck and covered. It dropped to 28F last nite ( 3 bars of fuel), it fired right up this morning I warmed it up up to 3 bars and went out for a ride. It does have the 5.5K rattle though but goes away when I up shift. Not sure what happened to yours, hope is nothing serious.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If you are riding in those temps, you need to do a few things.

You need to keep the tank almost full as much as possible to reduce the chances of condensation forming. Don't use a fuel with Ethanol if possible.

You should be running a 5W oil instead of a 10W oil - synthetic is best. 5W oil will move quicker and get you better cranking RPMs as well.

With a FI system, you don't want to hold the throttle open when you are trying to start it in cold weather. Don't crank for 20 seconds straight, limit it to 10 max.

Jay

·
Registered
385 Posts
With a FI system, you don't want to hold the throttle open when you are trying to start it in cold weather. Don't crank for 20 seconds straight, limit it to 10 max.
Jay
That's good to know; this is my first fuel injected bike and although I have yet to experience any starting problems I would have done the same routine I used to do on my carburated bikes.
Ibex - felt the 5500 rpm rattle for the very first time Sunday while I was going up a hill in third. I feel like part of the family now!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
That's good to know; this is my first fuel injected bike and although I have yet to experience any starting problems I would have done the same routine I used to do on my carburated bikes.
Ibex - felt the 5500 rpm rattle for the very first time Sunday while I was going up a hill in third. I feel like part of the family now!
You can crack the throttle open a little, or hold it wide-open briefly, if you are having a starting problem and feel you need a little more air, but generally you only want to crank with the throttle held open for any extended amount of time if you are sure the engine is flooded. Flooding isn't very common with FI because there is no choke plate blocking the air like in a carb, it's "choked" by an enrichment that's more controlled and accurate.

Most of the time a FI engine will not start when held wide open.

Jay

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wide open throttle shuts the fuel if you need to clear a flooded engine.

Next time, perhaps simply switching off, taking a deep breath and then hitting the starter might solve the problem. I've experienced this on another Honda licenced product (Hero Honda Karizma). It was random (once in about 100 starts) and had nothing to do with hot or cold or anything, and the bike would not start properly with the starter or the kick (if it fired at all, a lumpy slow idle, with the engine cutting off the moment the throttle was opened), unless the ignition was turned off first.

After that - first crank, like nothing had happened.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The temp has dropped into the low 30s here the past couple of nights, my tank is nearly empty and the bike fires right up each morning (I ride it every weekday and some weekends).
Leaving the tank nearly empty as temps rise and fall is asking for trouble...

Jay

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Untill now I was always about on empty when i parked after a long ride..always fill up onthe start of my next trip...will have to alter that routine in cold weather for sure..

And i am thinking more and more either the gas line was froze or i had alot of condensation in the line so thats why it wouldnt start...i will start adding marvel Mystery oil and/or gas saver with every fillup regardless of the manual stating not to add any additives at all..
And I did take several deep breaths,walked away..waited a few minutes then hit starter again and again to no avail...double checked kick stand.. neutral..kill switch...more cranking....

only after several minutes of this did i get exasperated to the point that i opened the throttle up and stayed on the starter longer than i should have...the funny thing is..thats when i finally got my first spark of life out of it...so thats why I did it again.
if i didnt have the throttle wide open and stayed on the starter (cuz i was getting really mad).... i dont think it would have started when it did...seemed like wide open throttle is what got it firing after it lugged for a second or two on the second extended crank

so maybe this one time doing all the wrong things was actually the right thing to do.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So here we go again....went and gave it a quick start monday just to see if it would after sundays problem and it fired right up...didnt touch it till today ,wed afternoon...and there it was again...just wanted to crank without starting :( this time tho it it did after like the 4th try of extended (10 seconds or so) starter pushing..ggrrrr..not acceptable

I have already filled the tank from 2 different sources to be on the safe side...and it still did it again (tho not as bad this time)...so just to be sure its still not a fuel line freezing i went and bought a bottle of STP gas treatment..which states is specifically to eliminate water in the fuel and fuel line freezing...1 bottle treats up to 21 gallons..i put in about 1/5 of the bottle

If it does it again then obviously its something else.. maybe a fuel pump-injector-or a computer problem ....if i had a tow truck haul it to my dealer since they dont have drop off or pickup so they could see it doing it themselves..im willing to bet it would fire right up the first time they try it (thats how my luck always is) so I would hate to have to do that..besides it always eventually starts
If i just rode it over there i wonder if it would have a problem code if they hook into the diagnostic sensor...and if they would charge me just for hooking up to it and checking?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Next time, try slowly opening the throttle while cranking - about 1/4 to 1/2 open max.

If it doesn't start right up like that, try it again with the throttle closed.

Is the (hot) idle set properly? If so, it may have a cold-enrichment issue.

For fuel system cleaner, try Seafoam (also a stabilizer).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts