Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Other than the obvious of a slip on being just a new muffler and a full system being completely new system from the engine back, whats the difference? Do full systems have larger pipe diameters? can you expect to see bigger gains from a full system than a slip on? Any other advantages?

I think our stock fuel system and programming would be able to handle a slip on. Would our stock fuel system and programming be able to cope with a full system; or should I look at a power commander with a full system?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'd say it's the difference of about 2-3 hundred dollars *insert drum roll here*

Seriously, a full system includes a header that is allegedly freer flowing. Usually in a length and diameter that best suits the pipe that it is intended for. i.e. better exhaust scavenging.

Slip on's are designed to work with the stock pipe (and stock fuel maps most of the time) but the system can extract a little more ooomph with the specifically designed & tuned header. Some full systems require the ecm's fuel maps to be remapped or be used with a power commander or other such device.

So far from what I've seen the systems available for the 250 work with stock ecm. From a "better safe than sorry" point of view, you are always better off taking it to a dyno shop and having the fuel maps tweaked for the new system. This way the fuel maps will be perfect and you won't be running lean or rich anywhere in the power band and will get every bit of power the system can give.

I'm sure there are others here that can answer this better than I. I'm not as educated in the ways of exhaust as I'd like to be and I suck at wording things in a clear manner :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well if you really wanted, Arrow sell a header pipe that will bolt to the stock muffler.

So any slip on that will bolt to the stock muffler can now be a full system.

Ill will triple confirm it when my M4 street slayer AND Arrow header pipe turn up.

Oh and whats the damage on said Arror front pipe, $139 from Biohazzard motorcycles.

So WITH postage from the US to Australia a full system is costing me a little over $500

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
With the Yoshi thru Corsport on a carbon its only $90 diff.

If it had a Carby the answer would be simple.

Metalstorm hit the nail on the head tho.

I will get the full Yoshi system and If I get better results without the header its not much moola to lose.... I'll use the pipe for the bends on another project.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm sure there are others here that can answer this better than I. I'm not as educated in the ways of exhaust as I'd like to be and I suck at wording things in a clear manner :)

No you dont. *drum roll*

i had the same question in my mind and you answer was lucid,and informative.
good job.
thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Metalstorm. While i'm pretty familiar with mods on vehicles with 4 wheels, I'm pretty new to the whole 2 wheel party. It seems like the old saying "How fast do you want to go?......Well how much do you want to spend?" is still true.

I was looking at the Jardine full system from Biohazard, but then I thought about the added costs of dyno tuning, and maybe a power commander. Now I'm leaning more towards a slip on first, then the Arrow head pipe at a later time.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My opinion, I am not a rocket scientist.
The main difference or improvement comes from the muffler or slip on which are the same or very nearly the same. You loose a LOT of weight (my main motivation), and gain some little power(more to come with other small changes). The header pipe is nearly the same, you may save a little weight aftermarket, but I believe it is pretty much a free flow tube. So you get some fine craftsmanship, and a nice ooking header pipe if you go aftermarket. I personally like the full system.

On multi cylinder engines you probably get better matched header lengths and smoother bends, all important for tuning.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That seems to jive with most of what I have seen on the inter-webs. Most modern day motorcycle exhausts are pretty free flowing from the factory. The main reason for a full system would be if your racing and spending most of the time at the top end (where you see the most power gains). Slip on's give you a good weight savings and a small power increase, but the biggest improvement from the slip on is sound and looks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In a multi-cylinder bike the exhaust can be "tuned" for resonant frequencies to enhance cyclinder filling, thus power, at specific rpm. An aftermarket exhaust could be used to alter the power characteristics of a motor by changing the length of the header pipes and the shape of the collectors. Since most manufacturers build their bike to make smooth, linear power and meet COST targets and emissions regs, there tends to be a bit of room to optimize airflow and thus increase power. Many times this comes at a cost of driveability. In a single cylinder engine the gains come from reducing flow resistance slightly and weight. This allows you to gain a little power but not really too much because you can't take advantage of the scavenging effect from the other cylinders. I wouldn't waste the money on a full system for the 250R. A slip on would be fine. It's a completely different story for an inline 4 though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the difference is noise....thats pretty much it. and about 21 lbs
But your bike has the full system correct? Are you referring to the difference between the slip on and full system or the difference between both of these from the stock setup?

·
Registered
319 Posts
my M4 and arrow front pipe has to weigh about 3kg if that!

The stock one is meant to be a heap more heavy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The main reason for a full system would be if your racing and spending most of the time at the top end (where you see the most power gains).
I don't have my bike yet-- I'm buying it next week, but I already want an aftermarket exhaust. And I have a question for yous guys-- don't you spend a lot of time at the "top end" when you're cruising on the highway? And secondly, if you're cruising with a passenger, wouldn't you want the full system exhaust?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts