Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my CBR back from its first 600 mile service.

I noticed immediately that the clutch has quite a different feel. Whereas it previously had the progressive engagement that all the reviews rave about, it now disengages much closer to the beginning the of clutch handle travel. I.e., you don't have to pull the clutch handle in as far to disengage it.

This is my first motorcycle, so I'm not sure if this is normal. I'm thinking that perhaps the technician adjusted it to what a typical motorcycle clutch is like (I can see how this would be a good thing, because you don't have to pull the handle in as far to shift gears).

Would welcome any opinions on what "normal" is for a motorcycle clutch. Thanks.

R

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Cable

He might have tightened up the cable. A different type of oil could change the clutch feel too. If you don't like it or think there is any chance something is wrong, take it back and ask them about it.
Just got my CBR back from its first 600 mile service.

I noticed immediately that the clutch has quite a different feel. Whereas it previously had the progressive engagement that all the reviews rave about, it now disengages much closer to the beginning the of clutch handle travel. I.e., you don't have to pull the clutch handle in as far to disengage it.

This is my first motorcycle, so I'm not sure if this is normal. I'm thinking that perhaps the technician adjusted it to what a typical motorcycle clutch is like (I can see how this would be a good thing, because you don't have to pull the handle in as far to shift gears).

Would welcome any opinions on what "normal" is for a motorcycle clutch. Thanks.

R

·
Registered
269 Posts
^i was just thinking that, they might have adjusted your clutch cable when they were checking the bike over. you should have a little room to play with it find what suits you the best. i keep meaning to mess with mine. i'll post up when i do

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^i was just thinking that, they might have adjusted your clutch cable when they were checking the bike over. you should have a little room to play with it find what suits you the best. i keep meaning to mess with mine. i'll post up when i do
Thanks. I'm sure they did adjust it; I'm just trying to get a sense of whether it's normal on a bike for the clutch engagement to be pretty near the end of the handle travel (it wouldn't be in a stick shift car). I did see in the manual that I can adjust this. I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just recently had my 600 mile check up a few days ago. I have to say, it feels like a different bike, in a bad way. I find shifting to be much less intuitive than it was before I took the bike in for the tune up.

I am a new rider, and actually completely new to manual transmissions completely. I was 99% comfortable with shifting before I took it in for maintenance.

Hopefully putting some more miles on it will break it in again?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks. I'm sure they did adjust it; I'm just trying to get a sense of whether it's normal on a bike for the clutch engagement to be pretty near the end of the handle travel (it wouldn't be in a stick shift car). I did see in the manual that I can adjust this. I'll give it a shot.
whatever is most comfortable for you. i've got really small hands so for me i like it to engage really close since it's hard for me to have control when the lever is really far away. a lot of people get on my 600 and stall right away because they're not ready for it hehe

·
Registered
193 Posts
Initial cable stretch is normal. You probably won't see much, if any, stretch going forward.

As for the clutch engagement point, having the lever adjusted so that only an inch or so of travel is needed is quite usual. It allows for an easy one or two-finger squeeze and release which facilitates quick shifts. The trick is to get the throttle, clutch and gear shift movements timed right. Practice, practice, practice. :)

If it is not to your liking, change is but a twist away. Just make small adjustments till you find the right engagement point for you. If the adjustment at the lever/cable junction isn't enough, there is another above the clutch itself on the right side of the engine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Friends and dealerships tell me most new bikes have wet clutches and wet clutches have a small friction zone. Our bike is a wet clutch system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts