Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mine is a new cbr250r black which has done only 205km.i face problem in shifting gears.mostly when downshifting 2nd gear slip and from third it drops to neutral and from neutral it does not go to 1st.....anyone facing this problem??:confused:

·
Registered
426 Posts
having trouble understanding the problem. 2nd gear slip?

are you saying that when you are stopped and in neutral you are having a hard time
getting bike into first gear? I was having that problem when the bike was new. I read here that if you let the clutch out a little bit it pops into first gear easier. I tried that and it works like a charm every time

My main problem i have now is it being almost February in Vancouver. Its either too cold or raining or both. so bike been mostly parked since December.
I am in major PMS
Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wonder if your clutch cable is adjusted properly. It should have a small amount of slack when the lever is released but not so much that pulling it does nothing.

How much experience do you have riding motorcycles, specifically working the clutch?

Do you use the friction zone a lot?

Is your foot bouncing on the lever or are you using excessive pressure (like a stomp)? It should not take much effort at all to change gears, gentle presses or lifts is all that is required.

·
Registered
501 Posts
my cbr 250 sometimes doesnt want to slip into first gear, when at a stop. My 2002 honda shadow wouldnt down shift at a stop if i was in a high gear. My 2009 Honda crf230 sometimes wont go into first at stop also. suspect just a quirk with Honda. Or i just got bad luck with first gears. Certianlly hasnt stop me from buying honda.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I almost wonder if the "cant get into first" is too much slack in the clutch cable so you dont full pull it when you depress the lever.

·
Registered
33 Posts
my cbr 250 sometimes doesnt want to slip into first gear, when at a stop. My 2002 honda shadow wouldnt down shift at a stop if i was in a high gear. My 2009 Honda crf230 sometimes wont go into first at stop also. suspect just a quirk with Honda. Or i just got bad luck with first gears. Certianlly hasnt stop me from buying honda.
I got the same problem with my Honda Shadow, but the mechanic could fix it, and it went fine after that (Myttyon Pattaya (Honda) on Sukkumwit Road).

No shifting problems with the new CBR, but a lot of other issues. My bike is now back to the factory in Samut Prakan. I'll post after having got it back.
Wait and see...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Let's use Occam's razor first guys, let's assume his bike is in proper adjustment and that he is just new. Things don't work well until you figure it out.

It is a little difficult to get it into first after you have stopped in second or neutral:

1. Pull the clutch lever a couple of times. This worked for me when I was a fledgling noob.
2. Roll the bike forward and try putting it into first.
3. Combination of 1 and 2.
4. Releasing the clutch slowly as you push on the lever works too.

These have all worked for me. Number 3 is what I do all the time now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had the same problem after the first service....

i told them that while down shifting.. there was a big sound or thud sort of thingy when i downshifted from 2nd to 1st even at the low rpm ranges. they fixed that.. but then while driving her back after the first service.. on a stand still stop. while i was trying to engage the first gear.. it just wasnt happening... however, after driving close to 300 kms .. it smoothened out.. and is back to her old amazing self...

i wasnt much of a biker to begin with.. but i just loved bikes, and the CBR is my first bike... .. really sorry that im not able to give you a more technical explanation !!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have trouble shifting from neutural to 1st when sitting at the light. It feels like the gear just wouldn't "snap" into 1st. What I do is:

1) press gear shifter down to shift into 1st. Keep pressing it down.
2) slowly release the clutch lever. Once you get to 1/4 of the way, it will shift / snap into 1st gear.
3) release gear shifter, clutch all the way in and wait for the light to turn green.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I've owned several bikes and the 250 is the first one I've had issues dropping from neutral to first. Open the clutch a bit then kick shifter into first. Problem solved! This is common. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah. sometimes when you've stop, you can't down shift. As mentioned above, you have to rev it lightly and slowly release a bit of the clutch until you hear/feel things fall into place. After that, the shifter will work. It's something that happens to all manual clutch bikes, not just Hondas.

What I do is that when I am coming to a stop. I start downshifting to neutral or 1st gear. Careful not to downshift to N or 1st when you're moving kinda fast, or else you will hear a hard thud noise. this usually solves the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts