Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sadly, Len is gone but i think is a brilliant idea. I would like to build one, does anyone have any tips on the exact dimensions? Do the parts involved have side to side stability, or will something break if the bike is pushed. Len said it's stable enough to sit on...
tab goes in circled slot

the plus is that it's absolutely laterally central and also you are lifting from the rear swingarm the bike doesn't have to go up as far to lift the rear, keeping the CG low.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
186 Posts
i think is a brilliant idea
YES BUT....
Do the parts involved have side to side stability, or will something break if the bike is pushed.
I think it is possible damage to the parts involved, I'm not sure.
What is certain is that without a layer of rubber the jack scissor do damage the surface of the metal in parts of the motorcycle. So I would add a rubber pad.
Due to instability the whole motorcycle may fall and then there will be damage elsewhere. In case of a falling for sure there will be some kind of damage.

the front wheel is on the floor hood, this is Just to lift the rear wheel
YES. And that's why I think it's not really stable,
because the support of a scissor "Stand" does not give a good stability!!!
Do the parts involved have side to side stability
Your concern is justified, the facility is very unstable and dangerous.
There is instability in both axes X & Y, the more open the scissors(Z gets longer) the more the stability is decreases.
Art Graffiti Font Red Tints and shades

anyone have any tips on the exact dimensions?
It seems to me that you can find an answer for the dimensions in LEN's response:
there is a little slot just big enough fo a piece of metal
something like 1/2'' by 2'' to slip into.
it's not a super tight fit but snug.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
A paddock / rear stand with bolt-on spools is a good way to go. I fitted T-Rex spool brackets to the swingarm and Yoshimura spools (the T-Rex spools were too huge-looking).

I had a cheap stand for several years. It started bending and didn't hold the bike level or securely. This year I upgraded to a Pit Bull...expensive but well worth the money. The build quality is incredible.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You don't even need those spools if you use a stand that supports the swingarms directly:
Wheel Tire Bicycle part Line Tool

Those things are relatively cheap so I don't get why anyone would want to build a center stand from a jack lift.o_O

·
Registered
186 Posts
Those things are relatively cheap so I don't get why anyone would want to build a center stand from a jack lift.o_O
looks clean and is neater in the garage not leaning over on the kickstand.
looking at the regular stands-they are quite a bit wider than this
jack base.
Len looked for a narrower solution, the usual stand was wider than his solution. In DIY construction it also did not cost him money(0$).

I bought such a generic stand (with "L" spoons), it does not fit the original CBR250R exhaust and collides with it, so I had to make DIY adjustments.
In retrospect the idea of "T-Rex spool brackets to the swingarm" seems to me much more logical.

·
Registered
254 Posts
uh... place the stand behind axle! About 10cm rearwards from where they placed it in video...

I've been using that style of stand for 40-yrs and they work great. Adjustable width to fit variety of swingarms and works on ALL bikes, with and without spools. Most older bikes don't have mounting points for spools anyway.

·
Registered
186 Posts
uh... place the stand behind axle!
Yes, BUT not good foor CBR250R 2013
1. It is very dangerous to place the stand on the edge.
Perhaps someone like you who works on a professional mechanic surface, with support for the front wheel, and lashing straps to the base. For me, as an amateur, the motorcycle is only held by the stand.
2. If the stand is on the edge, it is not possible to disassemble the rear axle like this ...

The idea of "T-Rex spool brackets to the swingarm" allows you to use the generic device with the "forks"(Yshape), which is a much more correct and efficient device to use. In the case of our CBR the advantage of T-Rex is striking and significant.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had a cheap stand for several years. It started bending and didn't hold the bike level or securely. This year I upgraded to a Pit Bull...expensive but well worth the money. The build quality is incredible.
The thing is I live in an apt, so I don't have storage like most people, Also you can use Len's center stand as a base for doing front end work, by mounting it to a base and also strapping down the rear of the bike.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts