·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
Reactions: MotoMike

·
Registered
218 Posts
Because of the very limited storage space available the only useful repair kit
would be a tire plug kit for a flat tire and co2 cartridges to inflate the tire.

For everything else a cell phone and credit card works the best.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
so no wrenches, wire, zip ties, plyers? Just screwdrivers and tire repair kit?
I think John was just referring to the JIS screwdrivers as being a useful addition to a set of shop tools for motorcycle service. Probably not necessary to carry JIS screwdrivers on the bike.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The front brake reservoir cover has two JIS screws. There are also what I believe to be JIS screws retaining the left and right switch pods. There may also be some in and around the engine itself. Maybe the turn signal lenses (can't remember). But essentially...anything that looks like a "Phillips head"...isn't. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
What tools do people carry on their bikes tool kit?

Thanks for your list MotoMike!
I bought a CBR600 toolkit from partzilla. Came with another Allen wrench, a few box wrenches, a spark plug socket, a wrench for the rear axel, and a reversible screw driver.

All are on the lower side regarding quality but they have proven their worth and its awesome have my them on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The front brake reservoir cover has two JIS screws. There are also what I believe to be JIS screws retaining the left and right switch pods. There may also be some in and around the engine itself. Maybe the turn signal lenses (can't remember). But essentially...anything that looks like a "Phillips head"...isn't. :)
I completely forgot about all of those JIS screws used on the 250R... good post Stichill.

·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
The smaller JIS screwdrivers are also handy for electronics.

Japanese Industrial Standard is really the Asian Industrial Standard.

And MIke was right, the JIS screwdrivers stay in the garage, or wherever I am working on a computer.

Reactions: Stichill

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The smaller JIS screwdrivers are also handy for electronics.

Japanese Industrial Standard is really the Asian Industrial Standard.

And MIke was right, the JIS screwdrivers stay in the garage, or wherever I am working on a computer.
Definitely. I got a set of precision JIS screwdrivers for working on cameras, phones, printers, laptops, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Forgive me if I'm in the wrong place.... but even though this is my first "REAL" motorcycle, the only tool I thought was important was a swing arm stand. I picked it up at harbor freight for 30 bucks, holds the bike level and steady and the rear tire off the ground to easily oil the chain...

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
...the only tool I thought was important was a swing arm stand.
Is that the only maintenance you plan to do on the bike yourself? If so that may be OK, although a tire pressure gauge and a source of pressurized air is also a basic necessity.

Just about any other maintenance procedure is going to require tools. You can't even remove the rider's seat to access the battery without a hex wrench.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is that the only maintenance you plan to do on the bike yourself? If so that may be OK, although a tire pressure gauge and a source of pressurized air is also a basic necessity.

Just about any other maintenance procedure is going to require tools. You can't even remove the rider's seat to access the battery without a hex wrench.
I didn't fully explain my garage.... but im an ASE auto tech, 15 years experience. Got a FULL load of tools at work, and a heafty multi-toolbox setup at home.. between the two, almost any tool you'll ever need. Plus a moderate air compressor at home that hits 120 psi.
So i should've explained better that all I (me) needed was a stand.
Ive already changed the coolant, oiled the chain, and changed the brake fluid and i havnt had it a week!!
Maintenance?... Service intervals?... How else does my 1993 Subaru Legacy have 308,000 miles!!!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts