Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
quick question -- the oil drain bolt is 12mm, but do you know the pitch? I'd like to put one of these on if it would work, as it has been extremely helpful on the car:

FUMOTO ENGINEERING: Engine Oil Drain Valve

To me, it looks like some other bits hang lower than the bolt, so clearance might not be an issue.

Reactions: tpaparsons

·
Registered
83 Posts
quick question -- the oil drain bolt is 12mm, but do you know the pitch? I'd like to put one of these on if it would work, as it has been extremely helpful on the car:

FUMOTO ENGINEERING: Engine Oil Drain Valve

To me, it looks like some other bits hang lower than the bolt, so clearance might not be an issue.

A quick search on the web shows 12x1.5. See link here:
BikeMaster Magnetic Aluminum Oil Drain Plug - Street Bike 2012 Honda CBR250R - Motorcycle Superstore

Fumoto F-109 or F-109N should be the part you are looking for. Amazon sells it with free shipping.
Amazon.com: Fumoto F-109N Engine Oil Drain Valve: Automotive

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Rocket Science-

Buy Genuine Honda Kit ~ $40 from your friendly Honda dealer.

Warm engine to operating temp, so go for a long blast.
Break out that foreign and rarely used object called 'Owners manual ' Page 55.

Remove rhs Fairing & rhs undercowl using 5mm allen key and phillips screwdriver. Page 50/51

Place drain pan under drain bolt,
Remove oil fill cap, drain bolt & sealing washer to drain the oil.
Remove the oil filter cover,spring, oil filter, & gasket.using 8mm socket on the 4 filter cover bolts.

Install new oil filter with 'Outside' facing out.
Install spring into filter cover, then install the new gasket & filter cover & 4 bolts carefully.
Push inwards and line it all up then tighten the cover bolts using 8mm socket on screw handle.
DO NOT use torque wrench like the manual says or you will strip the bolts,
12Nm is about a billion times too much and torque wrenches generally dont go down that low.

Replace sealing washer and oil drain bolt, torque to 24Nm.
Put 1.5l 10w-30 oil in filler with small clean funnel then replace filler cap.
Start engine for one minute.
stop engine & wait 2-3 mins then re-check oil with bike level.
Check for leaks.
Reinstall fairing & undercowl.

:)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I've never seen that Honda Oil Change Kit before.

My shop didn't have 10w-30 cycle oil either.:/

Oh well. They had the parts in stock, so I guess that's good enough.

·
Registered
115 Posts
How much oil exactly does the cbr250r take when you change both oil and oil filter?

I have heard anywhere from 1.5 to 1.8 quarts?

·
Registered
534 Posts
$40 is a bunch of money for 2qts of oil, a $5 filter, a $3 gasket and a $.50 washer! I, like the OP, got a gallon of rotella T oil for $13 at walmart and got the filter and other parts at the dealer. Now I have enough oil for 2 changes too. Check out bob is the oil guy and see how many people are running rotella T in bikes with VERY good oil change analysis results and many, many miles on their bikes. And their have also been many tests done on auto oil vs. "motorcycle" oil and they're one in the same. The dealers just tell people they "need" the "special" oil so they can mark up a $3 Qt of oil to $10-15 and make a killing. Anyone who doesn't believe me can go to bob is the oil guy site and do the same research I did before doing my first change. Trust me, I was also scared of running "car" oil in my "bike". lol

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Yes..1.6 quarts at oil to put back in the cbr when you change the filter as well..

and I am with you PAJKRUBI...cost me $18 from the stealership for everything to change my oil...and that was with 2 quarts of OEM Honda 10-30 oil,gasket and filter ..i guess add another buck for the crush washer that i will change this time......dont know why anyone would pay $20 more just because it comes in a kit ..unless theres something extra in it that makes it worth it we dont know about?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
In Australia the oil is $12 per bottle, the filter $16, the gasket $8, and the washer $4 so the 'kit' is cost effective for me.
I do alot of oil changes as I give my baby a severely hard time at the track.

When I swap to Castrol 4T semi synthetic 10-40w and order the filters & gaskets online in bulk, then I'll change, but for now the kits are great.
I prefer to run the std oil till the bike has done at least 10,000 hard km.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This may be a stupid question. I have not reached the 1000km (first service mark), but while reading the owners manual it states to change the oil at 1000km or 1 month. I'm reaching my 1 month period. Should i change the oil?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
This may be a stupid question. I have not reached the 1000km (first service mark), but while reading the owners manual it states to change the oil at 1000km or 1 month. I'm reaching my 1 month period. Should i change the oil?
Just get the first service done at the dealer @ 1000km.
it has to get the valve clearances done then.
Mine was 4 days old when it had done 1000km, but how old is your bike/km done?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My bike is about one month old and has 200km. So I'm kinda far away from 1000 km. should I wait for the 1000 km service or get it done myself now?

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
My bike is about one month old and has 200km. So I'm kinda far away from 1000 km. should I wait for the 1000 km service or get it done myself now?

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Motorcycle.com Free App
At that rate your first service wont be till next year! haha.

Get out and ride more and do an oil change at 500km.
which is halfway to your valve clearance check.
That would be the best solution in your case.

21 - 40 of 386 Posts