Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished my DIY rack today. I cut a polyethelene cutting board to size that I bought at walmart for $13. 18 inches long, 13.5 wide in the front, 12 inches wide in the rear so it follows the lines of the bike. I ordered some M5x.8 stainless threaded rod and some 1" aluminum angle stock from McMaster-Carr. I bent the rod into a hook around two bolts for each side of the front. It hooks right under the front edge of the rear seat near the mounting point so it is very strong. The rear is attached to the excellent hand rails with double nylon ties. Honda has made these hand rails a trade mark styling cue across all of their model line and they did a great job by designing them to level out perfectly with the rear seat and the top of the tail light. Some cut to length, adjustable, 3/8" shock cord and hooks, also from McMaster-Carr finish it off. Pictured with two 25 pound bags of kitty litter to show the possibilities for serious hauling. This rack will now carry a 12" X 18" waterproof cloth duffel bag for all of my daily stuff and can easily handle a 40 liter SealLine waterproof bag for trips out of town. I hope it will be slightly more aero than the trunk bag I have been using which hangs out to the sides when the sides are zipped out. Now the load will be oriented length wise right behind me when I have large items such as the five pairs of shirts and pants rolled up on hangers when I bring my uniforms home once a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't know why but I think it's awesome that you used cat litter to show the potential.

Nice mod man! :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Kinda unlovely, but certainly functional.

The designers of the CBR250R didn't seem to have the idea of carrying anything more than the rider. To my mind a shortcoming, and a marked contrast to the practical utility machines designed and produced by the million by Thai Honda.

But I guess marketed as "sports" bike, carrying things was not considered a priority.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
half

Good effort. I like this one better personally. Givi Bracket - Custom made
That rack is a DIY work of art for sure but the little Givi hard case wouldn't hold 1/2 of what I need to carry on a weekly basis and won't hold 1/4 of what I could carry with my rack if I ever want to tour. And is far less aero. Here is a shot of my rack with a $15 waterproof duffle bag carrying 5 uniform shirts and pants on hangers, my laptop, and a 24oz shaker mug. Good capacity and still very aero which is important on a 22hp bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
i like both,but like the removability of sendler's better.
i do alot of welding fab work and never thought about
just making a new mount under the seat.
that guy had that made because if he made that and
didnt make two at the same time he was crasy:rolleyes:

he should have had pix of the weld project or i call bs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Really cool rack; I can't tell from the photos how you used the aluminum stock and the bolts to attach it to the current seat or ???

I've thought about buying a scrap rear seat and using the base-pan without foam on it to fabricate a mount for a large aluminum plate like the ADV riders use for their dry-bags. Your solution looks cool, if I could figure out how you did the mounting . . .

Thanks!

Will

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wingland, check out this thread about buying a 2nd seat:

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/motorcycle-parts-sale/7228-wtb-rear-seat.html

I ended up mounting my GIVI box directly on the passenger seat so will be buying a new one myself. Once I saw they're only $30 or so it was a no brainer for me - ha, I wonder if this becomes more popular if Honda will start to wonder why they're selling so many seats :)
I'm also very happy with the box mounted directly behind me - I don't have any realistic way to test things but I swear the wind turbulence seems to be GREATLY reduced since I've moved the box from the GIVI rack, (which was up and back), to directly behind me.

Really cool rack; I can't tell from the photos how you used the aluminum stock and the bolts to attach it to the current seat or ???

I've thought about buying a scrap rear seat and using the base-pan without foam on it to fabricate a mount for a large aluminum plate like the ADV riders use for their dry-bags. Your solution looks cool, if I could figure out how you did the mounting . . .

Thanks!

Will

·
Registered
270 Posts
In order to spend more time in the saddle I decided to do my regular day job with the bike instead of using company provided truck. I decided on Sendler's DIY rack because it was cheap and it allows me to carry up to 50lbs of gear. Normally I need all gear that I have in the truck but once in while this little suitcase is all that I need.
So recently I had to drive to a remote town 300km away do do 2H of work. It was a great trip where:
- I spent all day riding on country roads,
- I got paid for the day's work
- I saved over $100 on gas.
I can't wait for another occasion like that
Thanks to Sendler for the idea

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey Sendler,
How is your cutting-board tail rack holding up?

I've been playing with making racks out of EMT tubing but I just can't find a design I'm happy with. I saw you're design while cruising the forum for inspiration. I have some spare plywood I may use for the project but I'm also going to cruise the local goodwill stores for inexpensive cutting boards.

What are your thoughts on using a heatgun to bend an angle on the bottom and sides of the board to increase strength and eliminate the need the aluminum piece?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts