Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I did mine about a month ago and didn't think to take pics as I went because I was painting my whole bike at the same time.
Some people on here are using plasti dip to tint and I really don't understand it but hey whatever floats you'r boat.

First step either remove or tape off everything around the windscreen for painting the INSIDE of it. Do not sand just clean the plastic with some sort of paint prep or rubbing alcohol will work just fine.

Pick up a can of lens tint or Krylon fusion, both have adheason promotors in it to stick to plastic. Most parts stores these days have this stuff.

If you use lens tint read the can!, spray it in light even coats waiting about 10 mins between coats. Here is my screen, You cant even tell it's been painted from the front and costed about $8.00. Sorry for the crappy pics my phone battery was dead so no flash, and don't mind the bugs haha

·
Registered
57 Posts
That looks really good. I was at walmart yesterday and saw a can of lens tint and was thinking about doing this but I know I'll just screw it up without taking the windscreen off the bike first.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Banned
834 Posts
looks good.

Wrap a sheet around the bike and blue tape off areas and it shouldn't be too bad of a job. If you get this stuff on the paint I wonder if it's hard to get off.

Can you just do one side?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I spray painted mine with Krylon Fusion gloss paint without removing it from the bike.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I used the plasti dip method, and it looks pretty **** good. I need to get some more pics up (maybe this weekend). The good thing about plasti dip is any over spray comes right off, and if you mess up and get a run just let it dry and peel it off. You cannot see through the screen, but that doesnt matter.

·
Banned
834 Posts
I used the plasti dip method, and it looks pretty **** good. I need to get some more pics up (maybe this weekend). The good thing about plasti dip is any over spray comes right off, and if you mess up and get a run just let it dry and peel it off. You cannot see through the screen, but that doesnt matter.
I like to be able to see thru it, looks more oem, imo. Too bad they don't make a plasti dip tint spray.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Post more pics....can you see through it? IS that stuff removable?

·
Banned
834 Posts
HOW TO VIDEO:

I might try it. IMO, plastidip is too opaque but this stuff looks spot on. I wonder how durable it is.

·
Registered
576 Posts
this is plasti dip spray.
it;s been on for along time now and still looks like i just did it.

Attachments

·
Banned
834 Posts
If you get overspray on anything you can either Buff it off or tinner will take it off
Can you get away with just spraying one side? Or do you have to spray both sides?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You just do the inside, If you do that the plastic just makes it look like it has clear coat over the top. Plus if you do the inside you don't have to worry about bugs and stones wrecking it. Can you see through it? If you wanted to do it that way you can but I went for the all out black look since I don't look through it ever

·
Banned
834 Posts
^^ That's cool. As long as I tape everything up real good and cover the bike real good it shouldn't be necessary to take the windscreen off to spray it. I'm doing it this weekend if I can find a can of the stuff around here locally.

·
Banned
834 Posts
What about plasti dipping the inside of the windscreen black? That way it will be less likely to incur any chipping and it will appear more of an oem look from the outside with the natural gloss of the plastic. Although you almost have to take the windscreen off, not necessarily though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What about plasti dipping the inside of the windscreen black? That way it will be less likely to incur any chipping and it will appear more of an oem look from the outside with the natural gloss of the plastic. Although you almost have to take the windscreen off, not necessarily though.
I did mine from the inside, and did not take the screen off. It wasnt the easiest thing I have ever done, but it worked ok. I used a razor to trim the edge of the windscreen so it has a clear edge around the Plasti Dip blackout. Sorry, its a little dirty.

I also plasti dipped my tank plastic.

·
Banned
834 Posts
I did mine from the inside, and did not take the screen off. It wasnt the easiest thing I have ever done, but it worked ok. I used a razor to trim the edge of the windscreen so it has a clear edge around the Plasti Dip blackout. Sorry, its a little dirty.

I also plasti dipped my tank plastic.

Looks good! Thanks for the pics. I will be doing the same thing but I will put the tape over the edge instead of using a razor. IS there a problem when you go to take the tape off? Do you have to razor the tape off? How many coats did you apply?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts