Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad would like me to take an msf course. I'm 46, stubborn, and had some experience years ago, long b4 I bought my new cbr250. What am I going to learn in that course, anyway? I'm concerned that it will be similar to taking defensive driving class...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you can spare the weekend I say yes. You will pick up a couple new skills and reminded of some others. If you can score a perfect score on the course then Ill say I was wrong. But I'm willing to bet you cannot. Also.. saves you from having to go take your test at dmv.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Unless you're state requires it like the one I'm in, then I'll say its up to how much you care about riding safely and surely that you may not already know about.

Otherwise as long as you're not afraid of a light-weight easy to handle bike, you should be fine.

The MFS was a waste of money for the experience (since I didn't really learn anything that I didn't/couldn't figure out myself), but it did help the insurance and made getting my license a breeze.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already got my license on my own. Maybe I could try an intermediate class???

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
How about the Experienced Rider Course? It is one day, cheaper, and you bring your own bike.

I've taken it twice for the "refresher value"; the 2nd time they caught me habitually trail braking going into turns. I still haven't completely broken that habit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds good. Will they teach me to turn off the dang blinker?? :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm also 46 and have been riding since 1984. I was self taught with no formal training and a license until I let it lapse 5 years ago. I took the class last year because it is now required to get a license here. I did learn some and built on what I already knew. The best part was to be in a class with people of different exp. levels and backgrounds. Well, that and the 2 hottie noobs.;) The only thing it will hurt by taking the class is your wallet, but it could save your hide also.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Take the intermediate or experienced class. You will learn something valuable at any of them, I think, but the int. and exp. courses will be better for you since you already have your M license.

I'm thinking of wiring a 9v battery from my turn signal to my wrist to give me a tiny jolt if it's been on too long.

·
Registered
455 Posts
if you already have your lisc then why bother. Just download and read the msf manual. If you want to take your riding to the next level, do a track day and then a speed academy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's the people that think they know it all, are the ones that get in trouble. The exercises
that you practice in these courses are worth every penny. I have taken these classes 3
times and will take it again. Also, you meet some great people that can become future
rider partners. Take the class and learn some new skills.

·
Registered
724 Posts
220 is kind of steep, you could probably ask a really skilled rider or someone who races to teach you some real good riding skills for under that by a lot. Maybe 30 bucks an hour? IDW just saying

·
Registered
403 Posts
If I had to pay $220 for the MSF class I took, I'd do it. Instructor was a guy who rode his Goldwing to work most days for the last 20 years. I learned some small skill things, but largely it was wisdom I couldn't have gotten elsewhere. If the instructor wasn't so good, it wouldn't have been so useful.

Class consisted of: Me and another guy who could actually ride (both from dirtbikes as kids), several of raw beginners and a handful of Harley owners who couldn't pass the test at DMV...they had no business on the street...pretty scary.

In Illinois we are lucky that we can take a class sponsored by Northern Illinois University that costs a refundable $20 deposit...which you can donate to the program.

·
Registered
83 Posts
220 is kind of steep, you could probably ask a really skilled rider or someone who races to teach you some real good riding skills for under that by a lot. Maybe 30 bucks an hour? IDW just saying
$220 is a deal... It cost $350 in the NYC, Long Island area and there is a long wait. I signed up two weeks ago. First available class is in early June.:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
... and a handful of Harley owners who couldn't pass the test at DMV...they had no business on the street.
It's shameful how image-driven those Harley people are. We had a couple in the BRC I took, one had just gone out and bought a fat boy bob whatever because a "sportster is a girl's bike", but was completely inept at riding a Suzuki TU250 around a parking lot, then failed out after grabbing too much front brake and dropping the bike. When another student asked him about it, he said "you're not even supposed to use the front brake on a Harley". Just had to shake my head and move on; but I digress..

The course is VERY much worth it, but if you've got any recent riding experience, go for something higher than the BRC, as you'll get bored VERY quickly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I signed up for the "confident rider" intermediate course at team arizona in Gilbert. That one was only $100 for a 6-hour class. Pops will be happy and I'm sure I'll learn something. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I signed up for the "confident rider" intermediate course at team arizona in Gilbert. That one was only $100 for a 6-hour class. Pops will be happy and I'm sure I'll learn something. Thanks for all the advice.

^ $200???

My basic course was $50 and that was refunded by the dealer because I purchased a bike from them. lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here in Philly it's free for the course and of U pass you get a license, only thing is they make u ride there shitty bikes, but I signed up for them so I don't have to renew my permit each year.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Costs vary from state to state as many states subsidize the safety program in the hope that you'll live to keep paying taxes and license fees.:D

Arizona doesn't subsidize. I think that the intermediate 6-hr. course was $75 in Tucson about 15 months ago (through the community college).

You should enjoy the class.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts